May seem silly!

I passed my cat c last month and i was just wondering excactly what size vehicle i can drive now,
I do understand i cant drive a artic, but someone told me i can drive a 40 tonne box truck, now i no im a newby but im not stupid.
Can anyone break it down in laymans terms please.
Cheers guys!!

licencecheck.co.uk/category_codes.php
This may help

i have been lead to believe as long as it is a rigid then you can drive it. is this true? i think so as the +E entitlement is for trailers and if you aint got one its a rigid.

Thanks gibsla, thats the way i was thinking, im sure dear old rog will be along soon to confirm.
Feel stupid for asking, but if you dont ask you dont learn.

I don’t recall ever seeing a 40 Tonne box van.

AFAIK the maximum size of vehicle you can drive on a Cat C licence is a 32 tonne 4 axle rigid vehicle.

Cat C is any rigid with a trailer up to 750 kgs. The normal max will be 32t although I’m sure the STGO rules allow rigid vehicles over that weight which you would also be able to drive.

johnny boy 1:
Thanks gibsla, thats the way i was thinking, im sure dear old rog will be along soon to confirm.
Feel stupid for asking, but if you dont ask you dont learn.

There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

As already stated - any rigid LGV is ok on a C

Smart Mart:
I don’t recall ever seeing a 40 Tonne box van.

AFAIK the maximum size of vehicle you can drive on a Cat C licence is a 32 tonne 4 axle rigid vehicle.

The max weight rigid I know of is a 32 tonne 8 legger as well :exclamation: :exclamation:

johnny boy 1:
I passed my cat c last month and i was just wondering excactly what size vehicle i can drive now,
I do understand i cant drive a artic, but someone told me i can drive a 40 tonne box truck, now i no im a newby but im not stupid.

Hi johnny boy 1, I’m glad you were sceptical about what somebody told you. :grimacing:

Here are a selection of vehicles that you can drive on your Cat “C” licence…

This topic was discussed recently :arrow_right: HERE

BTW, it wasn’t a daft question, cos it’s better to be safe than sorry. :wink:

I hope this helps. :smiley:

40 Tonne box van :open_mouth: sounds like the way the papers would describe a truck

There’s plenty of 50 tonne+ cranes out there that don’t bend, which you can drive on a C ticket ROG.

Don’t look like that bends at all… so it’s a C, and 8 axles!

allikat:
There’s plenty of 50 tonne+ cranes out there that don’t bend, which you can drive on a C ticket ROG.

Do they weigh 50 tonnes on the road or are they just capable of lifting 50 tonnes :question:

ROG:

allikat:

Do they weigh 50 tonnes on the road or are they just capable of lifting 50 tonnes :question:

Wouldn’t know that ROG, but they do look pretty weighty.

ROG:

I’ll try and help you understand allikat’s point by putting another question…

Is there any upper weight limit imposed as a condition attached to a Cat “C” driving licence?

There’s no upper limit attached to cat. C.

The Crane looks like its some where around a 300 tonner, (although not fully rigged) and it weighs well over 50 tonnes travelling weight - and is legal on a class C

Don’t cranes and the like come under special purpose vehicles or plant? Still as Rikki points out you can drive them on a Cat C. I don’t think it was all that long ago that you could drive them on a Cat B car licence and red diesel!

Cranes now require a C licence but they were until fairly recently classed as mobile plant and covered by a car licence. I’m not sure if they still run non red though.

I wonder how many crane companies had operators driving them on a standard car licence.

mrpj:
There’s no upper limit attached to cat. C.

I know that :wink: :smiley: :smiley: - I was just curious about the road weight of the crane as I have never driven one :unamused:

you can drive the crane there and back but you can’t use it once your there :laughing:

Isn’t the maximum 10,500kg per axle, so assuming someone made one and you could load it perfectly you could theoretically have a 42 tonne 4 axle rigid?

My FM12 had a design weight of 37t (IIRC) I wonder why they aren’t allowed to operate at these weights as you can run a 2+2 artic at 38t.

Just to add to the list of heavies a HH ballast tractor running solo could be a weighty beast.

Gis a go :smiley: