May 2014 - La Locomotion en fête - South of Paris

Good day all,

It’s already some two Months after the event but hopefully still acceptable to post a few pictures and background. Some of this material might trigger comments from our charismatic Président de la République Monsieur SAVIEM, or from a few others whose input we invariably enjoy.

Background:

• The French probably don’t hold as many lorry events as the Brits but the few I have seen have been really good and invariably carry a hugely friendly atmosphere, which was not my feeling when I left Interlaken 2013.
  • “La locomotion en fête” was held just South of Paris on May 23rd - 25th. All sorts of old vehicles: heavy commercial, firemen, agriculture, classic cars, etc. Many restoration masterpieces, and some rather unique French vehicles which unlikely ever make it across the Channel.
  • More information here: locomotion-en-fete.com/. I know, it’s all in French but if you scroll down the archives page you will get a good feeling from previous editions.
  • Together with Terry and Glenn, two British friends and truck afficionados who attended Interlaken Truck Festival last year, we decided to meet up in locomotion, and then extend the journey down to my native Dordogne for a few days.
  • Neil, Pete and Steve some more brilliant British characters also joined us in Locomotion but for various reasons could unfortunately not join us down further South.

Here are some pictures which I hope will agitate the grey matter and trigger some comments from our regular contributors.

Cheers
David

A France-based show implies a high representation of French vehicles, so here follows an extensive series.

Starting with one of the most remarkable units - this Renault R360 “Centaure”, salvaged and owned by my mate Julien (worth noting that Julien is not even 30 years old so there is some succession in place).
This 1981-built beauty served a million km between Loches (Some 250 km South West of Paris) and Bagdad, before she was mothballed in a shed for 20 years. Until Julien unearthed her somewhere in 2011 or 2012 and did a complete engine + gearbox overhaul. Means no work done on the cab yet, all still original! No cab rot to speak of, a splendid motor.

I am sure Président SAVIEM will have plenty to say about this one. This is a very rare vehicle. First put on the road early 1981, just after the Berliet-SAVIEM (forced) wedding. The Marketing Team of the newly-formed Renault Véhicules Industriels allowed for the high-roof CENTAURE concept to be continued only for a short while, before re-appearing in 1983 as the R370 TURBOLEADER. Essentially this Renault R360 was nothing else than a Renault-badged Berliet TR350, powered by the same 15-liter V8 Berliet lump.

And a video for those of you who had forgotten what they sounded like!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/qpPWpqDIxbE

Then some more French beauties. The restoration of this Bernard is nothing short of brilliant.
Quite fitting to see Terry’s Scammell and part of Steve’s Sed Atki in the background, And Neil’s Scania 92 on the other side.

Bernard close-up. Some deeper insight into the quality of this restoration.

The cooling vents. In perfect condition.

I will be posting more pictures in separate posts, otherwise this one becomes waaaaay too long. I hope you enjoy, comments are very welcome!

Regards

Here is some more.

Most of us appreciate Monsieur SAVIEM’s posts on here, let’s look at some preserved units of that legendary make. This is one of two SM280TU units present, both with the unmistakable turbo whistle.

Let’s not forget we are in France. True to the spirit of seventies - as if this bottle had never moved - see the driver’s stay-awake remedy, the famous RICARD :smiley:

Both these SM280TUs featured the column gear change

A refreshingly different thread! Though I must say, pastis de Marseille rarely kept me awake at the wheel but it’s a nice thought! Robert :smiley:

Norbert Freret is the proud owner of a whole fleet:

• a Berliet TR305 tractor unit
  • a Volvo F88
  • a Volvo F1220
  • a Volvo F16 Globy

See here three quarters of his line-up (the F1220 was parked up behind the others with his ex-reefer residence attached to it):

On the TR305 - the famous sticker

The F88 is again splendid

robert1952:
A refreshingly different thread! Though I must say, pastis de Marseille rarely kept me awake at the wheel but it’s a nice thought! Robert :smiley:

The longer you keep trying the more you believe in it :slight_smile:

In fairness, several of the blokes who tried too hard ended up kissing the ditch, like the infamous N10 between Bordeaux and Biarritz :unamused:

I am trying to get a few lads together to bring our vehicles to a European show, not sure up to now how to get booking forms etc as English shows wont let you in if not pre booked, but will now look at the website posted by you on locomotion event thanks for that.

Some more Berliet. In no particular order of significance.

Somebody who might have pushed the previous night’s Ricard’s strength a bit too much, and decided he should test-sleep la cabine “Relax”

A very rare one! Note the sophisticated door lock.

The really old logo…

Spécifications de l’Armée Française

hotel magnum:
I am trying to get a few lads together to bring our vehicles to a European show, not sure up to now how to get booking forms etc as English shows wont let you in if not pre booked, but will now look at the website posted by you on locomotion event thanks for that.

Hello Hotel Magnum (I hope 560 :smiley: )
I happen to be a native French speaker, having been born and raised there. Incidentally I did do some translation and assistance for my British mates for Locomotion 2014, PM me if you would like to join the 2015 edition and if I can help.

Davidoff:

robert1952:

The longer you keep trying the more you believe in it :slight_smile:

In fairness, several of the blokes who tried too hard ended up kissing the ditch, like the infamous N10 between Bordeaux and Biarritz :unamused:

If you were moved to imbibe pastis on the infamous N10 twixt Bordeaux and Biarritz, best stop off at the routier at Couhe and do the job properly! Robert :smiley: :smiley:

Here’s a unique piece - probably the first one I saw running in 20 years or more.

Unic Izoard V8, 6x4 tractor unit

Another beautiful restoration. She came driving past our group as one of the last arrivers, what a symphony. And very rare these days…

And then it is about time we looked at our own little group.

Terry (who came over from Dover) is the proud owner of this Scammel Crusader which he restored entirely himself. 305hp RR engine coupled with a Fuller box, a very nice vehicle.

Glenn came down all the way from ■■■■■■■ with his early-generation F12 (I think 1983), carrying his Leyland Super Comet (I think 1968).

Pete and Steve drove down as an all-in one combination, two Sed Atkis and a Leyland Marathon:

One of the Atkis and Terry’s Crusader

… which leaves Neil and myself - each with a Scania - almost the same generation.

Neil’s is a 92 which spent many years sitting in a corner of the family yard, reaching an advanced state of misery until Neil and his father did a complete re-build, this is now a very nice machine.

My 142E (1986) next to this lovely Citroën cattle van.

Saturday lunchtime - camion stew re-visited

Altogether a very nice atmosphere, especially amongst neighbouring groups

Probably one of the largest concentrations of surviving Willème…

This one was up for sale apparently

Monsieur Bonifay has a whole collection of “nez de requin” shark’s noses

Transports Marmeth (based in Nantua and still going today)

And then the rest , in no particular order, all worth seeing and in some cases, hearing.

Volvo F89, 1,7 Million km and still going, though no longer on commercial work it seems.

A very interesting piece

Complete with hand gear

Not exactly a truck, but nice enough to be worth mentioning

Or this one…

Maggie D

Some 16’000 KMs from new!

Renault Estafette cab but straight-6 INDENOR diesel (the same make as Peugeot’s diesels on 403/404/504 etc)

robert1952:

For staying awake juice Robert, I swore by Calvados one or two makes for at least another 300k’s.
Here’s another memory jerker, the man himself

RTL.jpg

OssieD:

robert1952:

For staying awake juice Robert, I swore by Calvados one or two makes for at least another 300k’s.
Here’s another memory jerker, the man himself

Lol. By the way this thread has some potential for turning itself into a more general thread covering truckshows on the Continent. I reckon it’s worth keeping up. Robert :slight_smile:

Hello all,

Hereby some closing pictures. We took the opportunity of this show to continue down South to my native Dordogne, with Terry and Glenn able to make it.

Not least because this was the opportunity for Terry to pick up some valuable Turbostar bits. He recently bought an ex-French 190.48 artic.
My mate Gilles in the Dordogne used to run a fleet of turbostars and still has two or three cabs lying about. Engines and gearboxes long gone, but otherwise complete.
Terry was interested in getting as many interior bits and other stuff as he could. Made for some colourful exchange between us English speakers and Gilles, your ultimate Perigordian, complete with outspoken French lingo and colourful expressions.

Getting ready for departure. Pete and Steve helping to put the car back onto the Super Comet then back onto the Volvo’s trailer.

Ready to leave.

We set off around 7:30pm. Our Locomotion passes served as valid Sunday driving permits. Straight down to l’Escale on the A20 near Chateauroux. We came in past midnight, friendly welcome and as always excellent steak, then a good night’s sleep.

Such posers…

Then on to the Dordogne. Here in front of le Château de Beynac.

… which we ended up visiting as well

The Turbostar slaughter party. First a cup of coffee in Café de la Mairie (no anti-freeze added to the coffee at this time of the day I hasten to add).

Gilles actually has a whole load of other stuff lying about as well. And before you ask, he ain’t selling anything :frowning:

These two are still in everyday active service.

These two are not in service, but back on the road tomorrow if needed

Hi Dave…

I really missed out there. I had as you know, intended going to the show ( about 6 hrs from here, so just down the road really ) but unforeseen circumstances meant I couldn’t make it…Next year though, all being well…
Fantastic pic’s, and the 3 of you going to the Dordogne finished it off nicely… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Someone suggested keeping this thread going with European truck shows, I’ll post some pic’s from the French mags I get, but not till the Autumn / winter, too busy at the moment… :unamused:

Evening all, Hay finished…then straight into the ■■■■…and what a yield…but its “Orrible” stuff to work with…and its a booming crop…vital to all of the Housewives “spreadables”…and right through to Bio Fuel, blooming glad the Claas has aircon…but I will be glad when we get to the Wheat…somehow its a more “elegant” crop…and the fields of gold look so handsome in the sunlight…but the ground is still wet from the Monsoon rains of last week.

Delighted to see so many Red Leg Partridge chicks have survived, their perky foraging gladdens my heart…all that beauty in such a small package, and the mothers shield them so well from the Hawk, and Buzzard…“gain” little girls they truly are!

And David, what a “gain” thread this could be, and really is! The idea of expanding it to cover other mainland European shows is an excellent one. For there really are some beautiful lorries out there, and Im sure of great interest to all who look in. Thank you for putting up the pictures of La Loco, looks like you all had a great time. What a feast of vehicles, but I wonder what our French friends made of the “Cabine a Pigeonnier” on the 74 Atkinson?? But what a smart lorry.

And I bet the very nice Scammell Crusader caused some interest, never sold in France, (except for a few ex military EKA wreckers, (one down near Le Mans, not far from Transports Mahe`s old yard).

Your friends “Le Centaure” really is a find! Lee Centaure `s could be ordered from the local Dealer, but to a variety of specifications. You could have the basic Lamberet roof, with the raised bunk and kitchen, or just the standard trim inside, depended upon the depth of your pocket! I love the look of a vehicle that has been worked, and she has that look. I seem to remember a sub contractor for Stouff having a Centaure spec V8…could this be that same one…the colours right. When Julien gets around to the cab, make sure he puts the missing pair of spot/fog lamps on!! Good luck to him, he has a real beauty there, and a real rare one indeed.

As are the two SM280TUTs…and what a surprise to see one in the livery of Valenton International Transports…was it one of their`s originally I wonder…some company that! Those column gearchanges on both the 12 speed ZF, and Saviems own 10 speed synchro were a delight to use, and gave so much “living space” in the Europe cabine.

Those V8 Unic T270 6x4s were an imposing, (but with a look never to be forgotten with that Geneve cab), I hope that you heard her running, for (like your own handsome R142E), that Unic V can sound really good to the afficianadoes ear! Were there any of the later versions of the T340 V8 Izoard at La Loco? The one where Unic, (with a little help from Geneve), made the Fiat 619 cab tilt over that wonderful sonerous V8.

Funny how shows turn up odd balls…I`m thinking about that bright yellow GLR8 Berliet tipper. That cab is not original, I would suggest that it is a recab with a cut down sleeper cab, but its still very handsome. As is the red with white roof TL10M Ricardo 180hp tractor from the late 50s , and what a delight that little SM8 depanneuse of M G Fret. Im not surprised that it has only done 16000kms, originally it would have been a 21tonne SM8 D210 tractor unit…drive one of those at above 15tonnes…and you can see why many were converted into “light” recovery vehicles!!!

Your picture of the chauffeur sleep testing the Relax cab TR250 of about 68/69…seems modest in size, yet was a sensational cab in its day…just remember, (and I can so vividly), what the equivalent Foden, ERF, and Atkinson cab was at that time…not in the same league…or world!

What evocative pictures of my beloved Bernard, and Willeme lorries. Did Glen Harely`s Ergomatic Leyland attract interest from the Willeme exhibitors? For at the 62 Salon, a Willeme/AEC Ergomatic was exhibited,and aroused much interest. But look at the interior shot of the Horizon cab Willeme…does it not make you wish to be sitting there, ready for the road…and even better had she an AEC under that Cottard cabine! (But sadly I think that the blue one has a Willeme engine).

I must go…DEFRA requires my computer attention…if it was not enough to , (delight), in a hard days work…but the “grey” souls who do Bruxelles bidding require my data input…so wearily I shall comply…and leave behind this delightful thread…which I hope will continue!

Cheerio for now.

David, just a little PS,

Did our friend Michel show any of his Berliets at La Loco, or his sons wonderful Nez de Requin? I hope to be visiting my pal, and my Daughters Godfather who lives in the Var before Christmas…I wonder if M Bonifay would let me see his collection? Now that would be something to look forward to!

Cheerio for now…Ive poured a (small) Bollinger to help me through the DEFRA documents…