Maximum working week

Have found a few threads and read the online version of the WTD, but I’m after a quick definitive answer if possible please…What is the maximum amount of hours that a driver can work in one week? I’ve read it’s 60 and after tomorrow I’ll have done about 57 and I’m contracted to work Saturday :laughing:.

Is it a case of telling my boss that I can’t work? I highly doubt they’ve realised I’ve done so many and I also doubt they know the maximum limit.

Thanks
Mark.

60 hours max is correct. If you need to see it in print its…
here.

Thanks Mike. Just the answer I wanted :laughing: long weekend coming up I think.

Depends what you mean by ‘work’? If you mean be at work then the answer is 99 hours. However, if you mean work as defined by the WTD, driving and other work, then the answer as already said is 60.

I was referring to “work” rather than time at work Coffee, clocked up 57 hours so it’s a long weekend as I’m a Tues-Sat worker :smiley:.

Mark28:
I was referring to “work” rather than time at work Coffee, clocked up 57 hours so it’s a long weekend as I’m a Tues-Sat worker :smiley:.

Blimey, you clocked up 57 hours of actual work in just 4 days? You need an easier job, that’s too much like hard work. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You might also have to be more concerned about the tacho regs than the WTD. With those hours you must be needing a minimum of 45 minutes break each day, 4x45 = 3 hours which takes you to 60 hours in 4 days and means 4 shifts of more than 13 hours which is a no no under the tacho regs. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Mark28:

Blimey, you clocked up 57 hours of actual work in just 4 days? You need an easier job, that’s too much like hard work. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You might also have to be more concerned about the tacho regs than the WTD. With those hours you must be needing a minimum of 45 minutes break each day, 4x45 = 3 hours which takes you to 60 hours in 4 days and means 4 shifts of more than 13 hours which is a no no under the tacho regs. :wink:

Did 6 days on my last firm and hit 71 1/4 hrs in that week obv take your breaks out and that brought it down :wink: along with POA :wink: :wink:

nick2008:

Coffeeholic:

Mark28:

Did 6 days on my last firm and hit 71 1/4 hrs in that week obv take your breaks out and that brought it down :wink: along with POA :wink: :wink:

Yeah, I regularly book way over 60 hours on the timesheet, I don’t use POA at all but some weeks I can have 20 -30 or more hours of break. But he is saying he only works Tuesday to Saturday and by Friday end will have 57 hours of WTD working time which works out to 4x15 hour shifts when you take the minimum of 45 minutes break per shift into account.

Sorry to confuse you Coffee, last week I was going to do Mon-Sat instead to help them out but it turned into Mon-Fri instead due to my hours.

Mark28:
Sorry to confuse you Coffee, last week I was going to do Mon-Sat instead to help them out but it turned into Mon-Fri instead due to my hours.

No worries, I am easily confused. I did wonder if you had worked Monday as 57 hours in 4 days would not be right. Mind you 57 hours of actual work in 5 days still seems too much like hard work, you need to find an easier job. :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Depends what you mean by ‘work’? If you mean be at work then the answer is 99 hours. However, if you mean work as defined by the WTD, driving and other work, then the answer as already said is 60.

I’m being thick, how do you arrive at 99 hrs on sheet? I understand about daily rest periods etc but have thought 2x15 and 4 x 13 was max because of tacho regs. I have taken rest and POA such that WTD average is 48 or less… :confused:
Different question: What is the best procedure for the tunnel or Dover crossing when interrupted rest is not available?

woodlands:

Coffeeholic:

I’m being thick, how do you arrive at 99 hrs on sheet? I understand about daily rest periods etc but have thought 2x15 and 4 x 13 was max because of tacho regs.

No, you can do three 15’s between weekly rest periods so could do six in a fixed week with a 24-hour rest period midweek. That would be 90 hours and there would be enough time left following the last daily rest period to squeeze in another 9 hours of a shift. Admittedly it would be unlikely to happen as you would need to start work at 00:00 Monday to squeeze it all in but theoretically 99 hours is the maximum. When I used to do three return runs to Dublin in a week I would end up booking over 80 hours on the time sheet as we got a split daily rest in each day thanks to the ferry. Because of the amount of break/rest involved, 6 - 7 hours a day, actual working time for the WTD was always about the 48 hour mark.

Coffeeholic:

woodlands:

Coffeeholic:

I’m being thick, how do you arrive at 99 hrs on sheet? I understand about daily rest periods etc but have thought 2x15 and 4 x 13 was max because of tacho regs.

No, you can do three 15’s between weekly rest periods so could do six in a fixed week with a 24-hour rest period midweek. That would be 90 hours and there would be enough time left following the last daily rest period to squeeze in another 9 hours of a shift. Admittedly it would be unlikely to happen as you would need to start work at 00:00 Monday to squeeze it all in but theoretically 99 hours is the maximum. When I used to do three return runs to Dublin in a week I would end up booking over 80 hours on the time sheet as we got a split daily rest in each day thanks to the ferry. Because of the amount of break/rest involved, 6 - 7 hours a day, actual working time for the WTD was always about the 48 hour mark.

Thanks for that Coffeeholic, split daily rest answers the tunnel/ Dover question too, I guess, if I can get the first three hrs without interupting it (?)