Maximum Weight

I’m reading David Lowe’s A Study Of Professional Competence In Road Haulage (revised 12th edition) and have a question about maximum weights.

According to the book and also what I can glean from the dft website, is that in order to run 44,000kg, then this can only be done under “Combined Transport Operations”. Have I understood this correctly or am I missing something?

I used to pull just shy of 44,000kg regularly for Stobarts out of Daventry and although the load would have qualified under “Combined Transport Operations” i.e it had come up to Daventry on a train, I never carried any documentation to this effect.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

From The FTA Handbook 2013

“Operation above 40 tonnes on six axles is not derived from Directive 96/53. It is a domestic limit created by the UK Government and is therefore not applicable to other EU countries. Operation at 44 tonnes was allowed generally from 1 February 2001.”

Bad news if a CPC course cant get it right

I have to admit, I always thought that when the 44 ton limit was first brought in, it was only going to be for journeys to or from a railhead. Am I mis-remembering, or was that dropped?

Gary

44t was for combined operations only to start with, can’t remember the dates now? Probably around the time 41t on 6 axles was first allowed around 1996-97 ish?

Is that an old book you’re reading?! :smiley:

the cpc i did was wrong too as you can run at 44t on road frendly leaf springs with a euro 2 ,they said euro 3.

The book’s the latest edition available i.e revised 12th edition which was last printed in 2010.

It’s a bit of a concern as I was planning to to use it to study to sit the National CPC without attending a course. Makes you wonder what else is inaccurate.

Dan Punchard:
the cpc i did was wrong too as you can run at 44t on road frendly leaf springs with a euro 2 ,they said euro 3.

What’s a road friendly leaf spring? I thought the whole idea was to get people onto airbags. Not disputing it, just never heard of one.

a trailer with 3 leafs per spring ,and ERF unit with air midlift, springs front and back is one example

MAT:
The book’s the latest edition available i.e revised 12th edition which was last printed in 2010.

It’s a bit of a concern as I was planning to to use it to study to sit the National CPC without attending a course. Makes you wonder what else is inaccurate.

MAT,

My advice remains the same as ever…

As an ex-CPC tutor, I can honestly recommend the EOS student notes as being the industry standard for CPC home or classroom study.

BTW, I don’t believe that you can do ‘just’ a National CPC any more. :wink:

:bulb: I’ve updated the links in this topic:

NEW Road Haulage CPC LINK to OCR [Updated Feb 2013] - USEFUL LINKS (POST AND READ ONLY) - Trucknet UK

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Dan Punchard:
a trailer with 3 leafs per spring ,and ERF unit with air midlift, springs front and back is one example

Well there ya go. Every day’s a school day, or so they say.

dieseldave:

MAT:

MAT,

My advice remains the same as ever…

As an ex-CPC tutor, I can honestly recommend the EOS student notes as being the industry standard for CPC home or classroom study.

BTW, I don’t believe that you can do ‘just’ a National CPC any more. :wink:

:bulb: I’ve updated the links in this topic:

NEW Road Haulage CPC LINK to OCR [Updated Feb 2013] - USEFUL LINKS (POST AND READ ONLY) - Trucknet UK

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Thanks Dieseldave, for £56 I think I’ll invest as they are up to date notes i.e 2013. And yes, the CPC is now a combined national and international exam.

MAT:

That info was out of date when the book was printed.

Lowe’s lates tome is this one
Lowe’s Transport Manager’s and Operator’s Handbook 2013
The FTA do a very good one which is fully revised every year and easy to follow

shop.fta.co.uk/p-229-fta-yea … -2013.aspx

expensive if you are not a member though.

Noticed quite a few foreign reg’d (mainly Dutch and Polish) Six wheel units around recently. If international limit is 41t, is this so they can do max UK weight cabotage legally in this country, or are they becoming a more popular spec in their homeland?

You can run at more than 44t in holland on 6 axles, and arnt the french going to 42 or 44 on 5?

I don’t think the French authorities take much of an interest in vehicle weights, I’ve never been weighed in dozens of contrôles and the maximum permissible drive axle weight in France is 13 tonnes so there’s virtually no chance whatsoever of a Froggie being overweight on his drive axle.

Cold Up North:
You can run at more than 44t in holland on 6 axles, and arnt the french going to 42 or 44 on 5?

You can run at 50 tonne on five axles :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Cold Up North:

You can run at 50 tonne on five axles :stuck_out_tongue:

I seem to remember something like that in commercial motor. Are their trailer axles plated at 10 ton?