Maximum shift time

H all,

Im getting confused a little, Im training to be a driver, I know the rest periods ect, however when i speak to my father and tell them ive been offered a job 12-15 hours a day. he says its crap and i can not work that long doing driving,

So i explained i may drive for 4 hr 30 min park up for 4 hours then drive again for 4 hr 30, that would be a shift of 13 hours,
Am i right to think that this is legal?

So i guess my question is what is the maximum time i can work in one day, if i drive for 9 hours through out the day, including other work and rest

be grateful is some one can clear this up.

J

15 hours is the maximum that includes driving , other work and breaks , can do this times between weekly rest periods , the other 2 will be 13 hours unless you get a continuous 3hour break during the day wich makes it a split shift

Smoggie89:
15 hours is the maximum that includes driving , other work and breaks , can do this times between weekly rest periods , the other 2 will be 13 hours unless you get a continuous 3hour break during the day wich makes it a split shift

thank you,

Im trying to get my head around the weekly rest and split rest,

Is there a simple way for this to be explained?

thank you in advance

Split rest is where you have a 3 hour unbroken break during the day , allowing you to reduce down to 9hours on the night , but it counts as a regular daily rest because 9+3 = 12 wich is more than the required regular 11. And the weekly rest Is regular 45 hours but you can reduce down to 24 , I keep it simple and do 45 1 week then 24 the next (I have more than 24 hours off but less than 45 so counts as a reduced weekly rest) you can pay back time in the 3rd week etx but personal I keep it simple and do 1 week regular then the next week reduced , tachograph or rog are the best people to ask mate , no doubt they will reply back telling you all the ins and outs soon

Smoggie89:
Split rest is where you have a 3 hour unbroken break during the day , allowing you to reduce down to 9hours on the night , but it counts as a regular daily rest because 9+3 = 12 wich is more than the required regular 11. And the weekly rest Is regular 45 hours but you can reduce down to 24 , I keep it simple and do 45 1 week then 24 the next (I have more than 24 hours off but less than 45 so counts as a reduced weekly rest) you can pay back time in the 3rd week etx but personal I keep it simple and do 1 week regular then the next week reduced , tachograph or rog are the best people to ask mate , no doubt they will reply back telling you all the ins and outs soon

thank you mate, Going to take a lot of getting used to, but i will master it.

Ive been offered a job 12.50 p/h with shifts 12-15 hours a day,. what would be best the way to do this to gain maximum wonga :slight_smile:

Yeah the rules are a nightmare at first but you will soon get used to them , what is it you will be doing ? Day work , nights out etc ?

Smoggie89:
Yeah the rules are a nightmare at first but you will soon get used to them , what is it you will be doing ? Day work , nights out etc ?

days i believe, its transporting animal by products around, i believe it falls under domestic law

JS06:

Smoggie89:

days i believe, its transporting animal by products around, i believe it falls under domestic law

Best way to earn as much you can is to do 3 15hour shifts and then 2 13 hour shifts, I don’t have a clue about that sort of stuff so can’t help you mate lol

Domestic rules are different to EU driver hours rules.

Daily driving limit

You must not drive for more than 10 hours in a day. The daily driving limit applies to time spent at the wheel actually driving on a public road. Off-road driving counts as duty time.

Duty time

If you work as a driver for a company, duty time is any working time. If you’re self-employed, duty time is only time you spend driving the vehicle or doing other work related to the vehicle or its load.

Daily duty limit

You must not be on duty for more than 11 hours in any working day. This limit doesn’t apply on any working day when you don’t drive. If you do not drive for more than 4 hours in that day then you are exempt from the rules.

Have a look at the following site: gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules

Truckbling:
Domestic rules are different to EU driver hours rules.

Daily driving limit

You must not drive for more than 10 hours in a day. The daily driving limit applies to time spent at the wheel actually driving on a public road. Off-road driving counts as duty time.

Duty time

If you work as a driver for a company, duty time is any working time. If you’re self-employed, duty time is only time you spend driving the vehicle or doing other work related to the vehicle or its load.

Daily duty limit

You must not be on duty for more than 11 hours in any working day. This limit doesn’t apply on any working day when you don’t drive. If you do not drive for more than 4 hours in that day then you are exempt from the rules.

Have a look at the following site: gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules

so id they fall under domestic i can only work 11 hour Shifts a day

JS06:
so id they fall under domestic i can only work 11 hour Shifts a day

NO

You are confusing shift lengths with duty time

Domestic is restricted to 11 hours duty time in any 24 hour period - what you get paid for has no bearing either

The 10 hours max driving time is also within the 11 hours duty time

You could do this in a 24 hour period
work/drive 1 hour
Rest 1 hour
Repeat that 10 times so you end up with 10 hours work/drive with 10 hours rest then …
work/drive 1 hour
Rest 3 hours
That makes 24 hours
You could do that legally every day but its unrealistic and unreasonable