Maximum gross weight

Whats the actual meaning of this ? I really can’t remember the difference between maximum gross weight and maximum vehicle weight .
Came across a sign on the A415 running from the A34 to Witney and pick up the A40 and then to gloucs , trying a new route cross country …
The sign said maximum gross vehicle weight 18T , place called Newbridge i think.
Am I right in thinking that is the actual weight of the vehicle as it is runniing and considering I was empty I could have carried on , or is it the maximum plated weight of the vehicle , which was 44t
I couldn’t remember and not wanting to chance it ran up the 420 to swindon then across to glous.

Been looking on google but not really found any certain answer …

maximum gross weight

:confused: You know what that means surely.

A quick search revealed This, which might help you.

In relation to crossing bridges etc , not the actual terms MGW MVW MAM and all that , I know them .

Well yes I know what it means , thanks for the link but it still doesn’t clarify
anything when it comes to bridges .
Is it the actual weight of the vehicle or the plated weight .

For example I was running empty , actual weight of the vehicle would have been about 17T , 1T under the limit to cross the bridge , if it’s running weight of the vehicle then Being under the 18 T limit I can cross it …

If it’s plated weight 44t then I ,am way over , even though I don’t have that weight on , I can’t cross it …

So which is it …I,m not after Terms etc I,m after the actual legislation for weights bridges and crossing them .

I can’t remember it …

Is this why we all have to have a CPC so we know all these things.

So thats why their bringing it in.

AFAIK all weight limits refer to gross weight rather than actual weight.

Maximum Gross Weight (MGW)
The maximum figure set by the manufacturer for the gross weight. This will normally be the technically permissible maximum based on the carrying capacity of the tyres, axles, coupling, suspension and chassis but may have been adjusted downwards for commercial reasons

highwaycode.gov.uk/sign059.htm

:smiley:

According to the new Trucker’s atlas “Bridges that are not capable of carrying 40T mgw vehicles are being strengthened, or signed with the sign opposite (Shows a red circle with 18T mgw & a text saying ‘except empty vehicles’) The switch from actual gross weight (the weight plated in the cab) will make enforcement easier. The DfT is urging HW authorities to exempt empty vehicles from such restriction where a bridge is capable of carrying 18T mgw vehicles” :question:

Apparently they want to change restrictions to allow empty vehicles over 18t bridges. It’s in the front of the AA Truckers Atlas, although how you can see a curtainsider is empty is beyond me so I expect it’ll never happen.

paul@midway:
In relation to crossing bridges etc , not the actual terms MGW MVW MAM and all that , I know them .

Well yes I know what it means , thanks for the link but it still doesn’t clarify
anything when it comes to bridges .
Is it the actual weight of the vehicle or the plated weight .

For example I was running empty , actual weight of the vehicle would have been about 17T , 1T under the limit to cross the bridge , if it’s running weight of the vehicle then Being under the 18 T limit I can cross it …

If it’s plated weight 44t then I ,am way over , even though I don’t have that weight on , I can’t cross it …

So which is it …I,m not after Terms etc I,m after the actual legislation for weights bridges and crossing them .

I can’t remember it …

its the actual weight of the vehicle at that time say if it was 17t then you can cross it if it says 18t mgw that is what the weight of the vehicle you are driving whether you be loaded or empty if you are on or under 18t then you can cross

If it is the old type sign with mgw after the figures then as montana man said it is your actual weight at the time.If it has a picture of a black lorry witha weight in it then it is your maximum authorised weight (plated weight - loaded or empty ).
Me thinks!

maximum gross weight is the same as the plated weight - if it says 18t mgw you
don’t take an artic over

maverick72:
its the actual weight of the vehicle at that time say if it was 17t then you can cross it if it says 18t mgw that is what the weight of the vehicle you are driving whether you be loaded or empty if you are on or under 18t then you can cross

No it isn’t, 18t MGW means nothing over 18t plated weight even if the current weight is less than that. In practice that means anything with more than two axles can’t go over the bridge regardless of if it is loaded or not.

The reason they use MGW and not actual weight is that to find out your actual weight they have to take you to a weighbridge which costs time and therefore money whereas to check your MGW all they have to do it look at the plate in your cab. The downside from the driver’s point of view is it means that (for example) a solo 3 axle artic that only weighs about 8 tons isn’t allowed to cross a bridge that is capable of safely carrying 18 tons.

Paul

Sorry , thinking about it the mgw and plated weight is the same. The old style sign I was thinking of is the one that says 20T for example,these are actual weights.Don’t se many of them now.

But i assume you went past the sign so job done :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: Shall we truly confuse things with old axle weight signs as well :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

repton:

maverick72:

No it isn’t, 18t MGW means nothing over 18t plated weight even if the current weight is less than that. In practice that means anything with more than two axles can’t go over the bridge regardless of if it is loaded or not.

The reason they use MGW and not actual weight is that to find out your actual weight they have to take you to a weighbridge which costs time and therefore money whereas to check your MGW all they have to do it look at the plate in your cab. The downside from the driver’s point of view is it means that (for example) a solo 3 axle artic that only weighs about 8 tons isn’t allowed to cross a bridge that is capable of safely carrying 18 tons.

Paul

i never mentioned artics if you read my post i was saying an 18t vehicle loaded or empty can cross the bridge :unamused:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

AYE

Well that aint how I read it either :unamused:

Lots of indecisive answers :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll stick to skipping that route then .I was miffed I had to cut over to Swindon .
It was a pic of a black truck with the MGW printed on it .
Shame really it would have cut out the stupid dog leg …

Cheers

The sign saying MGW refers to the Maximum Gross Weight (plated weight) of a vehicle.
That is not the actual weight of the vehicle allowed to cross that bridge.

So, as you were in an artic with a Max Gross Weight of (presumably) 44t, you couldn’t cross that bridge legally.
If it had a small sign under that saying “except empty”, you could have crossed it. I take it you didn’t see one of those.

No Simon, he didn’t.

That sign has only gone up in the last couple of years. It was always a useful route for bypassing any problems at the top end of the A34 or on the M40, by cutting across the Cotswolds through to Stratford-Upon-Avon. It also had the advantage of there being no low bridges on that route.

These bridges have taken maximum weight vehicles for many years and I would guess that the restriction has been introduced as a result of pressure from residents rather than structural concerns.

The route from Abingdon to Witney now takes about 30 minutes longer and, if it is a ‘high’ trailer, then even longer as one needs to go through Woodstock to Chipping Norton, and then down through Burford. A good hour added to what was a relatively short journey.