Maximising hours

I have started a new job driving tankers and in the situation of trying to LEGALLY maximize my hours as I am paid hourly.

I am currently getting very close each week to my 3 x 15 and 2 x 13.

I am averaging 65-70 hours a week.

Now here is where my concern is coming in (due to just going on a drivers hours and tacho course yesterday). We were told that our hours must not exceed an average of 48 per week over a 17 or 26 week period. At the moment mine are well over that and I have only been with the company for a month. Other drivers are working similar hours and have been for years it seems (dont get to meet the other drivers as they are out all week like me).

My question is am I missing something or am I going to break the law (DEFO DONT WANT THAT)

ps I work Mon to Fri (if that makes a difference)

Any time spent on break, or POA does not count towards the WTD limit…

Use break or POA whenever you’re waiting and, depending on your type of work, you may be able to get your working time down a lot.

You can legally average 48 hours working time per week over the reference period, but remember that neither breaks nor POA count as working time so will not counted towards the average.

POA messes up the driving time on a digital tachograph so I would use break as long as you get paid for them.

So from what I can make out the 48 hour rule only counts driving time and other work. So long as the rest is POA or rest then I am fine??

I use an app called TruckerTimer and last weeks summary is as follows:

Driving - 26:27
Resting - 10:11
Other Work - 24:18
POA - 0:00

So for this week my time would be 50:45. Even though my company time sheet shows 65+ hours

So this is legal?

The company not the driver is tasked to keep an eye on the 48 average

ayjax1980:
So from what I can make out the 48 hour rule only counts driving time and other work. So long as the rest is POA or rest then I am fine??

Yep thats basically it…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ayjax1980:

Yes, only driving and other work count towards the average, as long as the rest is POA or BREAK you’re fine.

I understand working out the average hours etc but I’ve heard drivers say it’s illegal to take a break when in a queue and heard of drivers getting done by visa for being in breaks in bays etc? This true or just bull?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

wilko77fc:
I understand working out the average hours etc but I’ve heard drivers say it’s illegal to take a break when in a queue and heard of drivers getting done by visa for being in breaks in bays etc? This true or just bull?

You can have a break any-time you can use the time excursively for recuperation, the only time you’ll get done for booking break while on a bay if you’re helping with the unloading/loading or doing some other sort of work.

Thanks for the update…I work with mainly a bunch of old school drivers who clearly don’t keep up with the latest info haha!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ROG:
The company not the driver is tasked to keep an eye on the 48 average

Yep, and depending on how the employee is employed, they’ll probably just get stood down without much or any notice.
Not much good when a driver is counting on the wage… :cry:

So a driver needs to also keep an eye on their average, as some unscrupulous employers who maybe run a seasonal feast and famine reference period, will use and abuse a drivers average to their own ends. What a surprise eh? :laughing:

ayjax1980:
I have started a new job driving tankers and in the situation of trying to LEGALLY maximize my hours as I am paid hourly.

Now here is where my concern is coming in (due to just going on a drivers hours and tacho course yesterday). We were told that our hours must not exceed an average of 48 per week over a 17 or 26 week period. At the moment mine are well over that and I have only been with the company for a month. Other drivers are working similar hours and have been for years it seems (dont get to meet the other drivers as they are out all week like me).

My question is am I missing something or am I going to break the law (DEFO DONT WANT THAT)

I use tachomaster and download my card for my own benefit as I work agency and for myself. Some might say it’s overkill as it costs just under a fiver amount. It keeps an eye on any infringements I have (if any) and records all my hours. I do a out 60-65 hours that I’m paid for but my weekly average can work out at as little as 35hrs.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

EddieMD:

ayjax1980:

I use tachomaster and download my card for my own benefit as I work agency and for myself. Some might say it’s overkill as it costs just under a fiver amount. It keeps an eye on any infringements I have (if any) and records all my hours. I do a out 60-65 hours that I’m paid for but my weekly average can work out at as little as 35hrs.

How do i get my own tachomaster?

ayjax1980:

EddieMD:

ayjax1980:

How do i get my own tachomaster?

Just Google it, they’re a company that are analysts and in the business. Loads of stuff that I’d never use or even try to tbh but for £1 week it gives me times, vehicles etc. Get months trial then sign up, need a card reader obviously for your downloads and also have app on phone. Technically my laptop is base and phone app is driver.