Max weight

what is the max weight for a truck in UK and in Europe, is it 40 ton or 44, sure it is 44 but keep being told it is 40 - OK I know it is 64 in Finland, Sweden and possibly Norway?

Or am I useless in my knowledge of transport and logistics

UK is 44t
I know this cos I’m around 44t every day.
Pretty sure its 40t in most of mainland Europe.
Will be various exceptions though.

International Transport is 40T. Correct.

UK is 44t on 6 axles. France is 44t on 5 axles, 45T on 6 axles,
BUT internationally, that is between the two countries, it is still 40T.

Franglais:
France is 44t on 5 axles, 45T on 6 axles.

Every day is a school day! I genuinely never knew that.

the maoster:

Franglais:

Top of my head: an extra 500kgs allowed if you have proper retarder fitted too.
Why have a payload penalty for fitting a safety device?

And 6 axle round timber (loggers) trucks run special configurations up to 57tons, if I remember.
Typically with a big crane equipped to self weigh, single steer on big tyres, double drive, two twin wheeled axles on the trailer, and the third axle trailer is self steering on super singles. Flashing beacons front and back.
I`ve been on the limiter and had them pass me quite easily.

Franglais:

Do they have 9 tons or more per trailer axle permissable?, because if not and they’re on standard 8 ton trailer axles it would be almost impossible to not have axle overloads @ 44t, aslo what are the typical 2 axle tractor axle weights in France please?

Can be awkward enough on 6 axles UK if you have a small wheeled mid lift (given how many have no idea how or why its important to correctly place a sliding 5th wheel), which in some cases is only plated at 4.6 tons or so and easy to overload.

Juddian:

Franglais:

Do they have 9 tons or more per trailer axle permissable?, because if not and they’re on standard 8 ton trailer axles it would be almost impossible to not have axle overloads @ 44t, aslo what are the typical 2 axle tractor axle weights in France please?

Can be awkward enough on 6 axles UK if you have a small wheeled mid lift (given how many have no idea how or why its important to correctly place a sliding 5th wheel), which in some cases is only plated at 4.6 tons or so and easy to overload.

Tous les véhicules terrestres à moteur de transport de marchandises sont autorisés à circuler jusqu’à 44 tonnes en configuration minimale 5 essieux dans les limites de charges à l’essieu suivantes : - 12 tonnes pour l’essieu moteur (porteur ou tracteur 4x2) - 27 tonnes pour un groupe de trois essieux (remorque ou semi- …

27T for 3 axle group.
12T on drive of 2 axle unit.

fntp.fr/infodoc/materiel-lo … mites-pour
CIRCULATION A 44 TONNES GENERALISEE SOUS … - FNTP

Get your tape measure out when you next park by an EU trailer. (Or just look closely)
Check the distance from rear trl axle to rear of trailer> it`ll be slightly less than a UK standard trl for a tri unit.
EG more load weight is on the tri-axle group of an EU trl, and less on the pin.

Much obliged to my learned friend.

I remember you mentioned before that on yon continent (or some parts of it) they require at least 25% of the total gross to be imposed on the drive axle, that’s going to take some juggling to get the drive axle to exactly 12T if the gross is knocking on 44T’s door.

er maths faux pas, 4 x 12 = 48, idiot not 44…as you were.

Franglais:

the maoster:

Franglais:

Top of my head: an extra 500kgs allowed if you have proper retarder fitted too.
Why have a payload penalty for fitting a safety device?

And 6 axle round timber (loggers) trucks run special configurations up to 57tons, if I remember.
Typically with a big crane equipped to self weigh, single steer on big tyres, double drive, two twin wheeled axles on the trailer, and the third axle trailer is self steering on super singles. Flashing beacons front and back.
I`ve been on the limiter and had them pass me quite easily.

Also an extra ton for trucks on gas or electric. Very annoying to load up to a 40t limit with a tanker as it increases the ullage space.

Juddian:
Much obliged to my learned friend.

I remember you mentioned before that on yon continent (or some parts of it) they require at least 25% of the total gross to be imposed on the drive axle, that’s going to take some juggling to get the drive axle to exactly 12T if the gross is knocking on 44T’s door.

IF it is a perfectly uniform load…then the design and positioning of axles, and pin should do it all.

But we both know that in the real world, it will be very tight to get it dead right.

I can`t remember now if the 25% rule is for International work (40T) or domestic French work?

And just to add another layer, International work does allow 44t, but only InterModal and only within a limited radius of a railhead or port. It is there in www-land somewhere I think.
The link I gave also says about up to 1T extra for fitting 6th axle and 500kgs for fitting retarder are allowed.

And here are the loggers
transportsnaulleau.com/notre-metier/

And thanks Owen about the Gas/Electric allowance too. :smiley:

Franglais:
[

Get your tape measure out when you next park by an EU trailer. (Or just look closely)
Check the distance from rear trl axle to rear of trailer> it`ll be slightly less than a UK standard trl for a tri unit.

Shirley? Less distance from the last axle to the back of the bed would result in less load to the rear of the axles, consequently more to the front, closer to the pin?

stu675:

Franglais:
[

Shirley? Less distance from the last axle to the back of the bed would result in less load to the rear of the axles, consequently more to the front, closer to the pin?

Yes, absolutely so.
More over hang on an EU trailer than an UK one.
My error.