Max distance/time to travel (daily) to HGV training?

Hi guys, yet another newbie question!

What do people tend to find is a reasonable distance/time to travel to HGV training without needing to stay over? There’s a good option for me but it’s about 50 miles (Google says about 1 hour) away. Is that a bit too far? (It’s motorways so let’s assume there are no delays!!)

Thinking of early starts etc and not wanting to get too tired. But if training only tends to be 4 hours a day, a 1 hour commute at each end doesn’t seem that bad?

Thanks
Womble

50 miles is just down the road. An early start on training would be around 7am as a rule. That being the case, you’d leave home around 5.30. That’s good practice for the real world when you might need to start earlier than that.

If this is the trainer of choice, it’s got to be worth the journey.

If it’s 1:1 tuition there might well be an option of a mid-day start. You could always request that.

Before you commit, make the journey to see the facilities, vehicles, trainers, reversing area and general set-up. They vary enormously and you would do well to assure yourself you’re spending wisely.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Takes me 2 hours to get to my training place, all on single carrageway until im within a few miles of the place roads as dual carrageways dont exist where i am.

You also have to think…is a career driving good for you if an hours commute is an issue?

rebel1012:
You also have to think…is a career driving good for you if an hours commute is an issue?

Yep, I’m happy with it! Only real concern is about getting tired from my training - or does tiredness not affect HGV learners like it affects car learners? I guess it’s less of a problem as we’re already used to driving in general.

You will be driving around 3-4 hours per day in training normally. So an hour in and out is nothing when you think after you pass and get into the industry you could be on 15 hour days.

From my own personal experience when i did my LGV course even though the training itself is only a few hours at a time I found it very tiring And was glad i found a training centre close to home.

Normally i wouldn’t care how long the drive to work is or how many hours i would be driving in my job I’m just saying that the training itself can take it out of you. But everyones different.

I would get a guest house, bed and breakfast or hotel and not do that .
What if they shut the roads for a fatal accident or road works with diversions ?
The training firm I used to do my Adr in tankers and Dcpc course sorted out accommodation for the courses that were a week each .
You get a discount on the course if live outside a certain radius .
Plus after a long day in a classroom, you can unwind with a beer and meal at night .
And have a social life mixing with the locals .

RockyLUFC:
From my own personal experience when i did my LGV course even though the training itself is only a few hours at a time I found it very tiring And was glad i found a training centre close to home.

Normally i wouldn’t care how long the drive to work is or how many hours i would be driving in my job I’m just saying that the training itself can take it out of you. But everyones different.

I agree,

I did shared training which was 8 hours a day in total and I was tired at the end of each day. A long commute especially on the test day would have raised the stress levels.

Have you considered a residential course?

Residential would be good but obviously there’d be a lot of hours when I wouldn’t be training. Could turn it into a little holiday I suppose :slight_smile: