Max daily shift?

Hi guys ive looked at the regulations but want to know what the max daily working limit is for 1 day. It says for gb domestic law that its 11hrs but under eu laws how many hrs can i work in any 1 day■■?

13 hours standard, or up to 15 if you use a reduced rest or split your shift by showing 3 hours rest without a move.

a maximum of 15 hours 3 times a week with the rest of you shifts being 13 hours.

Thanks

There are 24 hours in a day. Within that 24 hours you must have had a complete rest period of either 11 hours or reduced to 9 hours.

So for the blokes who do 15 hour spreads and then have 11 hours off, the answer might be here.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mr B:
a maximum of 15 hours 3 times a week…

Not correct, a maximum of 3 times between weekly rest periods which, depending when the weekly rest is taken, can be more than 3 times per week.

Coffeeholic:

Mr B:
a maximum of 15 hours 3 times a week…

Not correct, a maximum of 3 times between weekly rest periods which, depending when the weekly rest is taken, can be more than 3 times per week.

I’m going to see if my memory is good on this…

If the weekly rest period is taken on a Wednesday one week and then on a Weds & Thurs the next week you could have 6 X 15 hours shifts in the first week and 5 x 15 in the second…

this is because of the ‘fixed week’ from Sun to Sun :question:

… Ok, coffee, did I get that right :question:

ROG said;

If the weekly rest period is taken on a Wednesday one week and then on a Weds & Thurs the next week you could have 6 X 15 hours shifts in the first week and 5 x 15 in the second…

this is because of the ‘fixed week’ from Sun to Sun

… Ok, coffee, did I get that right

ROG, I’ll save Neil the bother of responding and just suggest that you get a new ‘Chip’ fitted. Don’t confuse the term ‘week’ with the requirements regarding reducing daily rest periods.

Since April 2007 the requirement regarding reducing daily rest have been; no more than three reductions between weekly rest periods. So, in your example you could take only THREE reduced daily rest periods between ending the weekly rest in week one and starting the weekly rest in week 2.

If I were you I’d start looking for that bulletproof coat, again :smiley:

geebee45:
ROG said;

this is because of the ‘fixed week’ from Sun to Sun

… Ok, coffee, did I get that right

ROG, I’ll save Neil the bother of responding and just suggest that you get a new ‘Chip’ fitted. Don’t confuse the term ‘week’ with the requirements regarding reducing daily rest periods.

Since April 2007 the requirement regarding reducing daily rest have been; no more than three reductions between weekly rest periods. So, in your example you could take only THREE reduced daily rest periods between ending the weekly rest in week one and starting the weekly rest in week 2.

If I were you I’d start looking for that bulletproof coat, again :smiley:

Thanks geebee45 - I must have read coffeeholics’ post wrong somewhere.
So what is the way to get more than 3 x 15 shifts in a week :question: :question: :confused: :confused:

ADD - I think I might have it…

A full 45 weekly rest ends on a Sunday at 1am
15 hour shift
9 break

• now Mon 1am
    15 shift
    9 break
  • now Tue 1am
    15 shift
    24 hour weekly rest
  • now Wed 4pm
    15 shift
    9 break
  • now Thu 4pm
    15 shift
    9 break
  • now Fri 4pm
    15 shift
    24 hour weekly rest - starting at 7am Sat

6 x 15 in one week - is that ok :question:

ROG, If you have a reduced weekly rest on say Thursday, you could have reduced daily rests on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, your reduced weekly rest is on Thursday so you could also have reduced daily rests on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
That’s 6 reduced daily rest periods in a fixed week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday) and legal as long as you have a full 45 hour weekly rest in the preceding and following weeks.

ROG said;

So what is the way to get more than 3 x 15 shifts in a week

By taking a weekly rest period mid week, for example;

To try and keep the maths easy for my addled brain I’ve assumed that you work a maximum shift on each day i.e. 13 or 15 hours as appropriate.

Monday; start work for example 06:00 having finished a regular weekly rest period, attached to the previous week. Take a reduced daily rest period starting 21:00.

Tuesday; Start work at 06:00 and take a reduced daily rest period starting at 21:00.

Wedneday; Start work at 06:00 take a regular daily rest period commencing at 19:00.

Thursday; Start work at 06:00 take a reduced daily rest period commencing at 21:00 and turn this into a reduced weekly rest period of 24 hours.

Friday Start work at 21:00 and take a reduced daily rest period starting at 12:00 Saturday.

Saturday; Start work at 21:00 and take a reduced daily rest period starting at 12:00 Sunday.

Sunday; start work at 21:00 and take a reduced daily rest period commencing at 12:00 Monday

Monday; start work at 21:00 you take a regular daily rest period starting at 10:00 Tuesday.

Tuesday; start work at 21:00 and take a regular daily rest period starting at 10:00 Wednesday.

Wednesday start work at 21:00, and take a regular daily rest period starting at 10:00 Thursday. As your last weekly rest period ended at 21:00 Friday, you must start a weekly rest period no later than 21:00 on Thursday of this week. To keep the patten going we’ll assume you take a reduced weekly rest of 24 hours starting at 10:00 Thursday.

Friday; start work at 10:00 and take a reduced daily rest starting at 01:00 Saturday.

Saturday; start work at 10:00 and take a reduced daily rest starting at 01:00 Sunday.

Sunday; start work at 10:00 and work until 23:55, then take a regular weekly rest of 45 hours and ‘attach’ it to week 2. You need to do this as week 1 has a reduced weekly rest attached to it. Therefore you must have a regular weekly rest attached to week 2, even though, in this instance, the regular weekly rest finished in week 3. You may not start work until 20:55 on Tuesday of week 3.

Just because this kind of shift pattern is legal doesn’t mean that I would want to work it, although I seem to remember fridge work being like this.

Hi Rog, your six reduced daily rests looks OK to me. Thought you might like the longer and slightly more complicated version, which was being typed when you added your shift patten and Tachograph gave his answer. :smiley:

I did the short version because I’m lazy :sunglasses:

tachograph:
I did the short version because I’m lazy :sunglasses:

I’d simply call it ‘being concise’. :wink:

:smiley: