Max combined drawbar length

Does anyone know what the max combined vehicle and drawbar length is for test purposes.

Regards

Paul

18.75 metres. But you will find that you don’t get the full 5 vehicle lengths for the reverse. But they bend so well you really don’t have to worry about it. The other consideration is achieving 20mph for the braking. You will know that many test centres do the braking from the reverse bay. 18.75 metres puts you closer to the braking cones before you start.

Hope this helps.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I think it is 18.5 metres but I’ll check when the DSA get around to answering the phone …

no point - Peter has answered :smiley: :smiley:

The DSA told me it was 18.65 m for test

elmet training:
The DSA told me it was 18.65 m for test

DSA tech standards Nottingham 0115 936 6370 Ask for George - 18.75m excluding any rubber buffers

cheers Peter and Rog , can put this one to bed now.

Hello,

Just took this from DSA website, any good:-

An articulated lorry with a MAM of at least 20 tonnes, with a minimum length of 14 metres and and minimum width of at least 2.4 metres. The maximum length of the vehicle is 16.5 metres (54 feet) or for a low-loader trailer manafactured on or after 1 April 1981 the maximum length is 18 metres (59 feet). The vehicle should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and have with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.

Bye

Missed this out:-

Large goods vehicles
Category C

A rigid goods vehicle with a MAM of at least 12 tonnes, at least eight metres in length and least 2.4 metres in width, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph). The vehicle should have at least eight forward ratios, a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.

Category C + E

There are two types of test vehicle in the C + E category.

A drawbar outfit made from a combination of a category C vehicle and trailer with a MAM of 20 tonnes and a length of at least 7.5 metres from coupling eye to extreme rear and a combined length of at least 14 metres with a trailer at least 2.4 metres in width. The vehicle combination should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph), with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.
An articulated lorry with a MAM of at least 20 tonnes, with a minimum length of 14 metres and and minimum width of at least 2.4 metres. The maximum length of the vehicle is 16.5 metres (54 feet) or for a low-loader trailer manafactured on or after 1 April 1981 the maximum length is 18 metres (59 feet). The vehicle should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and have with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.
Bye

They mention the max length for the artic and the low loadrer but not for the drawbar (W&D) !!

I did inform George of this

Out of interest,I trialled a Volvo FM12 drawbar for 12 months running at 18.75. Never again! Too expensive to run, accountant threatening to ■■■■■ his wrists - or mine! Many trainees unduly daunted by the size of it and too easy to get it wrong on emerging. :laughing: :laughing:

I take it that the Denby Road Train would be just a little bit too long then :wink:

yes Rog he got stopped on the road outside his compound and had to have a police ■■■■■■ back again but he could not reverse back into the gateway had to go on the road round the roundabout and back and vosa was there aswell so funny but its funny how his training lorry was parked at the side of it when the tv turned up :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Out of interest,I trialled a Volvo FM12 drawbar for 12 months running at 18.75. Never again! Too expensive to run, accountant threatening to ■■■■■ his wrists - or mine! Many trainees unduly daunted by the size of it and too easy to get it wrong on emerging. :laughing: :laughing:

how come it was more expensive to run?
was that it compared to a 16.5m arctic?