Maut fine question

Hi.Question for the guys who do germany on a regular basis.Done germany about 5 times to erfurt.Always on the train.So up the corridor to acchan for the tax at the border.No problem.Anyway 6th time over and get boat over from felixstowe to rotterdam.through holland and i pick up the a57 toward goch.get to the border to get my tax.Only no machine here :frowning: .Anyway after a walk about i spy some offices open so i go in and ask if there is a maut machine around.Told there was not one here but can get one about 10ks down the motorway at the services.Of i go get to the services go round to park up and bugger me there is the bag van there.Park up next to it get out of cab and am pounced on straight away for not having any tax.Very bloody efficient are the germans.i must say. :frowning:

Anyway after being invited into there van for a chat.And an explanation by me as to why i did’nt have any.And why i had stopped there to get some.They had a look at my paperwork and passport and things.Printed me a piece of paper out.And then sent me on my way to get the tax.This was 8mths ago.Anyway come fri nght.Copper knocks on my door with a letter to sign from the home office and a load of paperwork in german to say i have a 223.50 euro fine to pay. :angry: Can appeal against this but is it worth it as they might increase the fine.Plus i think i have to reply in german.Witch would be difficult as i don’t speak german.I know i should of got the tax in holland now but did’nt realise at the time you could or there would’nt be a machine at the obvious place like the border.
Just after some advice really.Should i just pay up and put it down to experience or Appeal against it?.Sorry it a bit long.Cheers.

Turn this into a postcard, send it off to them and ask them if they want another doing!

:smiley: :smiley: If only life was that simple.good idea though

I have been told in the past that you have a 60 minute period of grace after you enter the Autobahn network to obtain a ticket.

Unfortunately I think the most sensible thing would be to pay the €223.50 and be more careful in future as there are more ways to skin a cat in Germany.

You can buy the MAUT with cash or card, by using an OBU or even online HERE

You may want to download this PDF or print it off for future use.

toll-collect.de/pdf/de/mauts … 55FA.app02

You can see from that PDF there is a Total station in Goch with a MAUT machine.

A very slight chance of escaping the MAUT may be to get someone from this site to write a grammatically correct begging letter with mitigating circumstances. I don’t mean using Google Translate or anyone who uses Google :wink:

One slight thought though, many years ago I got captured for some indiscretion and my fine came through in English from an office in Manchester or Stockport who acted for the BAG in Koln. It didn’t stop me getting done, but the lady was polite and spoke good English as she explained what would happen if I failed to pay the fine

Thanks for the info wheelnut.Think i’ll have to pay and put it down to experience.Not been to germany since.I suppose if i ignored it the fine will keep going up :lol.Did go to cab this morn and luckily did have someone who could speak german.Was told that by the look of the letter that obviously i could appeal but prob won’t end up in my favour and would prob end up paying more : :angry:

daftvader:
Copper knocks on my door with a letter to sign from the home office and a load of paperwork in german to say i have a 223.50 euro fine to pay.

I find that quite scary to see coppers on my doorstep with Home Office & German paperwork! :open_mouth: not surprise that German are more enforce than British polices to fines on the foreign vehicles :unamused:

you could try a appeal however , you are at fault as it is
a part of your job as driver to have all the relevant information
and most appeals have not won there case as you are not alone
many German truck drivers have been caught out as well as
Non-residents drivers as well,

Thanks for the replys guys.think i’ll put this one down to experience and say lesson learnt.All be it an expensive one. :frowning:

Maybe next time park a long way from the BAG van,it was an easy target.I had a similar document that arrived in England after a RTC,near Bordeaux,a court date to appear to.

toby1234abc:
Maybe next time park a long way from the BAG van,it was an easy target.I had a similar document that arrived in England after a RTC,near Bordeaux,a court date to appear to.

Yeah would of done if i had of seen them.They where parked round the back in the truck park so could’nt see the buggers till it was to late.If i had parked at the pumps and gone in and got tax.They would’nt of seen me.Sods law that.