Matthews and Great Yarmouth

I remember back in the 80’s and 90’s Matthews were quite a big player in european transport, it seems when i see them now they are usually pulling dutch unaccompanied trailers. Do they still do much in europe and does Great Yarmouth still have a ferry service. I remember it had quite a big port and i think it was Norflok Line that use to bring in loads of trailers there.

Drove down to Biarritz last August for our fortnight in the sun and passed a few going down and also passed some on my way back up but that was 11 months ago now.

Cant tell you about Europe but they are still quite a big company in GY.

There is no longer a ferry service running out of GY, an outer harbour has been built but it is more of a white elephant than a harbour :slight_smile: They were supposed to be bringing grain through the OH to Cantley Sugar factory, this just a few years after removing the rail lines from that end of GY to the National system.

Who, in their right mind, would get a ferry, or send goods, to GY and bypass Harwich and Felixstowe which are at the end of the A14 (ish) and not 50 odd miles from the Dual Carriageway/motorway network?

DadsRetired:
Cant tell you about Europe but they are still quite a big company in GY.

There is no longer a ferry service running out of GY, an outer harbour has been built but it is more of a white elephant than a harbour :slight_smile: They were supposed to be bringing grain through the OH to Cantley Sugar factory, this just a few years after removing the rail lines from that end of GY to the National system.

Who, in their right mind, would get a ferry, or send goods, to GY and bypass Harwich and Felixstowe which are at the end of the A14 (ish) and not 50 odd miles from the Dual Carriageway/motorway network?

It was sugar cane not grain they were going to bring into the outer harbour but now they have taken the cranes away thats not going to happen but we did have a good run of taking grain in for export last harvest all be it a complete ■■■■ up as the tide and swell runs straight into the outer harbour rocking the ships and snapping the mooring ropes :open_mouth:

sounds like things were well thought out and planned then crispy :blush:

I’ve seen a fair few of Matthews trucks in and out of allfortrucks in Calais.Dont they haul stuff for glaxo smith klein and the like?

CRISPY:
It was sugar cane not grain they were going to bring into the outer harbour but now they have taken the cranes away thats not going to happen but we did have a good run of taking grain in for export last harvest all be it a complete ■■■■ up as the tide and swell runs straight into the outer harbour rocking the ships and snapping the mooring ropes :open_mouth:

Sorry, yes it was cane.

Make a good harbour for all the seagoing cruisers that are currently at Brundall marina though :slight_smile:

Isn’t Matthews full of Poles now?

Matthews are still running abroad with the pharmacutical work and still employing british drivers i met one of thier lads a few weeks ago on his way back from Austria and Czech.
But they do seem to have a lot of eastern blocks doing U.K work!!

i remember chatting to a driver from thorburns and he was moaning like hell about matthews drivers and how they both used to load pharmaceuticals while thourburns hadtowash out the fridges matthews used to turn up with trailer stinking off fish.