Matrix Signs

Just came up M5 Jcn 6 Worcester. Matrix Signs are telling me,

Congestion M62 Jcn 11 to 12.

By the time I would have got there, I think it might have cleared.

Do the H A employ natural idiots?, or do they train them?
Answers on a postcard.

Yep as regularly on the M27 we get xyz junction on M25 or M40

Just got on the M62 out of Liverpool Saturday morning to be told “M42 J3-J1 delays” yep thanks for that bunch of clowns :open_mouth:

Seen one this week, “obstruction in road” which would have been great but it was 3/4 mile after lanes 1 and 2 were closed. And it was on a managed motorway. Not much of an advert for managed motorways I thought.

Things fall off wagons all the time, we have no control over where they drop. :wink:

Daytrunker:
Just got on the M62 out of Liverpool Saturday morning to be told “M42 J3-J1 delays” yep thanks for that bunch of clowns :open_mouth:

That’s nearly 90 miles if not more ?

BossHogg:
Things fall off wagons all the time, we have no control over where they drop. :wink:

True, but the point I was making was that the warning came after we’d all queued past it. Bit late to be telling me when I can see it in my mirror.

i have left Nottingham before with A14 accident flashing this is the end of the A14 and it was still blocked when I got there :imp:

mick.mh2racing:

BossHogg:

True, but the point I was making was that the warning came after we’d all queued past it. Bit late to be telling me when I can see it in my mirror.

Unfortunately that happens all the time, we get given the wrong location all the time, we still have to check it, the signs cant be cancelled until requested by us or the police.

I was running back up the A1 into North Yorkshire on Sunday morning and the matrix signs were flashing ‘warning oncoming vehicle’ 20mph. Guess what? Bugger all sign of anything happening and about 15 miles of 20mph only to find the last matrix sign showing ‘End’.
I know you can get some valuable information across on matrix signs but equally they can be a total waste of time.

So you got home safe and sound, and your reason for moaning is :question:

So smokinbarrels, Police get a report a vehicle travelling wrong direction between junction X and Y. So do signals get set until it’s confirmed there is no vehicle and signals cancelled, or do we wait until vehicle collides with something head on, like M1 J26 couple months ago and then set signals? I know I would prefer to lose a couple of minutes journey time slowing to 20, knowing I should able to avoid an oncoming vehicle or at least if it hits me, one of us will be at low speed than risk a head on at a combined impact speed of possibly 140 mph.
But going back to original post, we do wonder why signs are shown where they are. I know that if you leave Dover and the M40 is closed at J10, a sign on the M20 might be useful as you might go M25, M11, A14, M6 instead of M25. M40, M6 but we had a sign M1 J10 Southbound telling us M5 was closed at J22. On the M1, that makes no difference to me. On the M25 J16 area it might because I might think, I’ll go M3, A303 instead of M4, M5. I can assure you we get more frustrated than you do. :blush:

BossHogg:
we get given the wrong location all the time

I suspect the majority give locations such as “I saw a sign for lake district a while back” and similar which can mean anything from Lancaster to Carlisle! :slight_smile:

Btw, does ■■■■■■■ have any cameras yet? I know they were installing one at Shap about 5 years ago when I used to drive the M6, but it never seemed to go beyond just the pole.

Yep, we have half a dozen between 33 and 36. with more planned. :wink:

Fully trained to university standard with DIP lomas pardon the pun :grimacing:

Highways ■■■■ up this morning !
A34 matrix before M40 says about M1 closed yet you get on to M40 not one sign in 5 miles has any thing on yet M1 is shut 16 to 18 and A5 is congested

You’re more than welcome to ring and complain on 0300 123 5000. :wink:

One thing I think could be improved - the “estimated travel times” (e.g. “To ■■■: yy miles, zz mins”). They never seem to go very far.

For example, going from Bristol to London, the matrix signs are currently showing:
At Chippenham: To Swindon East (2 junctions, 18 mins)
At Swindon East: To Chievely (2 junctions, 18 mins)
At Chievely: To Maidenhead (finally a slightly longer stint - 4 junctions, 36 mins)
At Maidenhead: To the M25 (4 junctions, 11 mins)

All it really tells you is that there aren’t any delays in the next 20 miles or so. For anyone going beyond the junction after the next one, it becomes pretty much useless.

IMHO, they should all be journey times to major junctions (e.g. from Bristol, it should show the journey time at least to Chievely, and preferably to the M25. If you want to come off sooner, it’s still useful as you can work out the average speed over the long distance, and that’ll tell you whether you’re likely to hit delays. If the number of minutes is less than the number of miles, then you can easily work out that the average speed is over 60 mph, so there’s not too many delays.

Three weeks or so ago, joined M62 westbound at J27 in my car. Matrix said 60 then noticed a Stobart lorry behind keeping nice safe distance. Next matrix said 50 - big lorry edging closer behind me now ( not TOO comfortable, but was ok). Next one said 40! WTF! No reason for all these ever changing matrixes. I did not slow down to 40 as lorry was following quite closely by now. Would rather get a flash and a fine than risk being rear - ended by HGV. :angry:

Well that raises an interesting question, maybe Bosshogg knows the answer. The M62 is now a managed Motorway from J31 to about J27, is there someone somewhere looking and reacting to situations via CCTV? Eye in the sky sort of thing.