Matrix Signs, Whats the point?

Im not sure how much it costs to put up a motorway matrix sign. I know the construction work has caused a lot of congestion, with lanes closed for miles for Paddy to concrete them in.

Coming up the M1 yesterday, the signs were showing A1M closed after A61 or something. Thats nice to know when I am in Northampton :confused:

The next signs were telling me not to phone while driving, which reminded me I had to make a phone call :stuck_out_tongue:

Then I get more signs telling me the A50 West Closed.

What am I supposed to do with this information?

The diversion for the A50 started at junction 24. Why can,t they just put a yellow sign on the hard shoulder, saying A50 closed use next junction? :confused:

They do tell you a lot of drivel but they are invaluble when it comes to accident information and when they give you enough notice you can re-route accordingly.

check your fuel,where sealbelts front and back,watch your speed,is this what we pay our taxes for.someone decides we need a sign to tell us this.they have just put a new sign post up on the M8 westbound at easterhouse 2mounths ago and its meant to tell you the time it will take you to get up the M8,it has never been used yet,someone is getting paid big bucks for designing these signs,wot a waste if they ain’t getting used.

not all are useless :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

you knew that wouldn’t stay !! Denis

i`ll give it 30 minutes simon :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JB:
i`ll give it 30 minutes simon :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ooooooooooooh. He’ll be up for a ban for that one :open_mouth: . What will the sponsors think :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:. Can’t be upsetting them :open_mouth:

told ya :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JB:
told ya :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
simon

I was on the M6 near Coventry today, in light rain. The matrix signs said “Flooding Slow Down”. I didn’t see any flooding and I’ve seen far worse rain. Is this Nanny State gone mad?

One near Leicester on the M1 southbound yesterday was telling me not to phone while driving and another that the M1 south was closed at junction 6A or something like. At least with that information you can plan an alternative route.

Generally though I think they are a good idea but only as good as the information supplied.

Calv

About 10 years ago, somebody managed to hack into the system that controls the signs on the New Jersey Turnpike, and made them post “rude” messages.

The idea in principle is good. However I find they are mostly behind time.
e.g. The 1st one you see that says “Caution Queue ahead” is the one you’ve just stopped under!
Or, as this morning southbound onto the Thelwall giving the same advice, yet the traffic was very light indeed & not one of us ever dropped a click under 40 on approach & flowed freely thru’.
The problem is that if they are constantly seen to be wrong, they will become like the boy who cried wolf & be ignored.

I’ve noticed some have been displaying a message (can’t remem wording) to remind the dozy skate board drivers to return to the left lane after overtaking, but in the 4 lane section of M6 past Preston, where the problem is greater than ever, its not been done because they cant think how to word it!
Suggestions on a post card please.

…and after posting that last night, upon going to the dentist in Leyland in the car this morning, i was greeted on the M6 with:

“ITTING
ROGRESS”

I jest not. Wonder if the Betz drivers can find an interpretation for that in their phrase books??

Did i miss something here, are these signs not the latest marvels of modern technology :question: Good, innit :question: :question: :question:

(no disrespect intended to any Betz driver or our young member “Betz”)

Driveroneuk:
…and after posting that last night, upon going to the dentist in Leyland in the car this morning, i was greeted on the M6 with:

“ITTING
ROGRESS”

I jest not. Wonder if the Betz drivers can find an interpretation for that in their phrase books??

Did i miss something here, are these signs not the latest marvels of modern technology :question: Good, innit :question: :question: :question:

(no disrespect intended to any Betz driver or our young member “Betz”)

Several years ago, the state of Michigan tried using a neon-type sign to tell drivers whether the truck scales were “closed” or “open”. Since both words use an “o” and then an “e” 2 spaces down, they put the tubes of one word over the other, so that those 2 letters were commom, thereby saving a bit of circuitry.

Well, one day i came up to a scale that said it was “clopen”. Or was it “closen”? Can’t remember. Saw a lot of trucks slowing to a crawl, then having to dart back out into traffic at 10 mph when they saw that the gate was closed across the entry.