Matrix sign rant

I can’t get my head around these.

Presumably some eagle eyed operator spots it’s foggy on a certain motorway and sets the display to fog, how come they are never so eagle eyed to spot that it’s now midday, glorious sunshine and no fog.

Assuming they are controlled by the HA, you’d think that their HATO’s would get them cancelled if they were inaccurate. If they gave useful & accurate info people might take notice.

I have seen the same notice on a sign for several days running before now. The government are always on about conserving energy but these signs stay on for hours after the event.

A classic example today on the M25 by the Bell Common tunnel entrance

J27 - J1
LONG DELAYS

And at the exit

Journey time to Thurrock (J30)
17 miles
18 minutes.

:unamused:

I saw the ‘Fog’ signs on the M25 yesterday . . . . . . . . around about the same time as I was scrabbling around for my shades as it was so bright and sunny!! :open_mouth:

Most of the time it aint fog, just mist and there is no need for fog lights which drivers tend to put on when they see the fog sign

A lot of fog signs are set automatically by sensors at roadside.Two grey round tubes facing each other.A lot of signals have faults.In our area,out of 289 cctv cameras,167 were not working.Signals are the same.The situation is bad,the contract has been cancelled and a new contractor starts this month.
As for signs staying on,yes HATOs should,and do,question signs ,so signs should be more accurate.But as like yesterday,we had one patrol covering our patch,instead of three,because of units ■■■■■■■ with the closure.
The new time/distance signs are set by reading vehicle number plates over a distance and calculating average speed,so should be fairly accurate.
You could call 08457 504030 and report in accurate signs.

marcustandy:
I saw the ‘Fog’ signs on the M25 yesterday . . . . . . . . around about the same time as I was scrabbling around for my shades as it was so bright and sunny!! :open_mouth:

Having said that, and by way of a balanced opinion, I was also grateful to the signs as, when I came off the train I was in two minds as to which way to go around the M25. At that point I hadn’t heard any traffic news so ‘thank you signs’!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

all the above is correct.

Also, drivers complain that FOG signs are on in thick fog which then the comment comes “Bit obvious isnt it”. Are they aware though that the control room could be 50+ miles away from the fog so the only info they have is what the TO’s tell them BUT what you also have to bear in mind is the TO’s may not bother calling it in because beleive it or not, fog moves around so in 10 minutes that fog may not be in that area but people approaching that fog at 70+ need it as a warning that they approaching it.

As i have already stated, if you have a problem, feel free to ring the number above and tell them. Trust me, complaints are dealt with, one of mine was but again bear in mind, signs are set for a reason that may not be apparent to you from where your sat in your cab.

For signs that are set with Queue ahead etc, read this…

highways.gov.uk/knowledge/15508.aspx

And this…

highways.gov.uk/knowledge/334.aspx

But since you are pros, you already know it. :wink:

Big Jase:
but people approaching that fog at 70+ need it as a warning that they approaching it.

and when was the last time the warning made the blindest bit of difference? they steam on in and crash. no sympathy for them

I couldnt agree with you more Scanny77, then the HATO’s come along and clean up all the mess and get moaned at by the motoring public for blocking the road which is caused by an incident that wasnt their fault even though they took reasonable steps to try and stop happening in the first place by displaying FOG signs or 50’s which are ignored also.

Still, im sure it will be the TO’s fault since their the ones everyone see’s.

marcustandy:

Yeah, I saw the fog signs too. But then, it was foggy :smiley: Up until about 4am when I stopped driving… for a bit.

Later on (0600-0730) found it was still patchy fog, and too many numpties on the roads then driving too close without lights on… :open_mouth: :unamused:

There was GRITTING IN PROGRESS on the M4 the other morning when it was 13 degrees :open_mouth:
most of em are ■■■■■■■ pointles and at £250,000 per sign it certainly aint value for money either.seems like a complete waste of money as most of the time they are wrong or displaying something completely pointless like DID YOU WIPE YOUR ARSE THIS MORNING or DO THE SHAKE AND VAC AND PUT THE FRESHNESS BACK.
I got stuck on the M25 for 6 hrs due to these highly effective traffic information tools :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
some builders making some money somewhere on the government gravy train

The new time/distance signs are set by reading vehicle number plates over a distance and calculating average speed,so should be fairly accurate.

The time distance one was accurate, the long delay one was not so.

I never knew about the number, I’ll store it in my phone. I was thinking the other day that there should be some such facility a bit like the old cone hotline.

Is that number used for reporting other incidents too? There was various bits of an ally ladder in lane 2 today between J5 & J4 on the M25 I’d have called them up if I had the number.
[/quote]

my fav one is the classic M6 TOLL CLEAR,so who’s gonner pay £8 quid to check.

The 08457 504030 number is HA equivilant to 999 and debris can be called in,and will imediately be passed onto the relevant control room.
Info required would be: motorway,carraigeway and marker post or between junctions.

check out these essential messages :unamused:
trafficscotland.org/vms/index.aspx

Apparently, if there’s a bit of mist and the fog signs aren’t lit up, they get lots of complaints.

Why they need a sign to tell them its foggy I don’t know.

Don’t you just look out of the windows ?
If you can’t see the end of your bonnet, its foggy!
If you can see the end of your bonnet, it isn’t.

You don’t need to see any further than that, even if you can you don’t look any further, so why make a fuss ■■?

The info is always useful to someone but never yourself, take yesterday at 0430 on the M5 J3 the sign read M25 J25 - J27 closed. Great that will help me plan my journey - NOT

leeb2461:
The info is always useful to someone but never yourself, take yesterday at 0430 on the M5 J3 the sign read M25 J25 - J27 closed. Great that will help me plan my journey - NOT

Theres no pleasing some people is there. :unamused: :unamused:

The information might be useful to you if you are going that way later surely? They’ve put the signs up, I fail to see why they wouldn’t use them. If it useful to 1 out of 100 drivers, then it will reduce the congestion slightly surely? :confused:

I’m all for the info, as long as it is accurate and useful.

For instance M25 Closed J28 - J30 Is only OK if you know your junction numbers.

There’s enough space on the signs for

M25 Closed
J28 (A12) - J30 (A13)
Long Delays

hammer:

leeb2461:

Theres no pleasing some people is there. :unamused: :unamused:

True to a point yes. But the sign could be put up on the M40 or M1 as alternative action can be taken then (anti or clockwise being your choice) not the M5 in Birmingham.

they have had on the over head matrix on the a14 at orwell going westbound.
“cambridge 65 minutes and 58 miles”