MAT TRANSPORT

My dad is John Green. He worked for MAT out of Hull in the 70s then went to work for Brian Yeardley when Brian went in business on his own. He’s not sure if there were 2 John Greens but he definitely didn’t work out of Avonmouth lol. He drove YYO 459H then RKH 885R. He saw the pic of 458 and said that his didn’t have spotlights. Oh the shame of not having spotlights lol. He still sees Terry Shipley cos they’ve been mates for years. Having shown him the posts on here, he told me he remembers some of the people mentioned and recognised the photo of Cliff and the other guy but can’t remember his name. He retired last year after working for TDG on nights out of ICI at Goole for about 20 years. Though obviously it wasn’t always TDG. Easy life! :laughing:

cartran:

I’m not entirely sure but I’m assuming that the A. Joynson in this pic may be the same A. Joynson who acquired one of Brian Yeardleys old A reg Globetrotters. It was either 1 reg num above or below the one my dad used to drive for Brian. Was re-sprayed dark blue and I often used to see it on the motorways. In case anyone may remember my dad, he worked for Hewson’s at Howden, United Carriers at Howden, Holt’s at Newport And Bill Malcolmson at Eastrington all before working for MAT. Without asking him I can’t remember the order as I was really young. Do have many happy memories of going with him though. Except for when I trapped my finger in the cab door trying to close it cos I was scared of falling out as he had left it open. Or the time my brother let the handbrake off as my dad was tipping wool bales on a trailer. I think it was in Dewsbury. Was just a tad scary rolling downhill backwards. Yes my dad saved us lol. Or when my brother as a toddler fell out of the cab in Liverpool. He’s always been accident prone. Jeez, H&S would have fits these days. My brother did become a driver and broke his nose when a tilt board fell on him several years ago.

Cruella1965 you have Pm :smiley:

Cruella
Nice to see your post and remember me to your Dad when you see him. Terry Shipley was my Brother in law before he and my sister divorced. But I remember John Green very well. Happy new year mate.
Cliff

is your brother paul green he drove for mat .do you no paul leighton he is from newport.he was at mat.i take you r from that area.

:stuck_out_tongue:

:unamused:

IMG_0011.jpg

Cruella1965:
I’m not entirely sure but I’m assuming that the A. Joynson in this pic may be the same A. Joynson who acquired one of Brian Yeardleys old A reg Globetrotters. It was either 1 reg num above or below the one my dad used to drive for Brian. Was re-sprayed dark blue and I often used to see it on the motorways. In case anyone may remember my dad, he worked for Hewson’s at Howden, United Carriers at Howden, Holt’s at Newport And Bill Malcolmson at Eastrington all before working for MAT. Without asking him I can’t remember the order as I was really young. Do have many happy memories of going with him though. Except for when I trapped my finger in the cab door trying to close it cos I was scared of falling out as he had left it open. Or the time my brother let the handbrake off as my dad was tipping wool bales on a trailer. I think it was in Dewsbury. Was just a tad scary rolling downhill backwards. Yes my dad saved us lol. Or when my brother as a toddler fell out of the cab in Liverpool. He’s always been accident prone. Jeez, H&S would have fits these days. My brother did become a driver and broke his nose when a tilt board fell on him several years ago.

Arthur Joynson Crossroads.jpg
This one is Arthurs and still going strong.

I am not sure whether that was John Greens or Barry Malcolmsons.

Did Paul bang his head when he fell out of the cab, or was it the tilt board that did the damage? :stuck_out_tongue:

I got in touch with Trev a couple of years ago on Friends Re-United but he was working for DHL at the time. Do you still see him?
Cliff

cartran:

Trev left MAT Cowley and started up on his own doing Boal alluminium out of shepshed, he had a little office/portercabin round the rear.
He had a couple of silver Scanias and somtimes he’d put his son on MAT Dover subbying. Hav’nt seen or heard of him in years, last i knew he was in Loughborough but hales from Banbury.

:smiley:Cowley depot

:imp:

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

avonmouth based 1635. have you got any more cartran keep putting them on.

I worked for MAT for 10 years in the workshops at Hull,started when they were down Popple street near the monkey bar, then we moved to a new workshop in Brighton street Dave Clark was the workshop foreman then was made fleet engineer and Rob Palmer was then made foreman. It was a good time, we all enjoyed coming to work. we had a good fleet of trucks, good equipment and some brill lads to work with.

mikehat1:
I worked for MAT for 10 years in the workshops at Hull,started when they were down Popple street near the monkey bar, then we moved to a new workshop in Brighton street Dave Clark was the workshop foreman then was made fleet engineer and Rob Palmer was then made foreman. It was a good time, we all enjoyed coming to work. we had a good fleet of trucks, good equipment and some brill lads to work with.

Did you work with Tony Ogden, he would have only been young then

Sorry don’t recognize that name,when I started we had, Dave Clark, Rob Palmer, John Priestly, Geff Hawker, Ray Acey, Chris . Then came Alf Barnickel, Neil Moor, Norman Low , Alan Wough ,then we moved to Brighton street and thru the years we had Mike Groak, Andy Connor, Roy ■■■■■ lips Bell, Derick Philipson John Mann, Jack Jackson, Norman Craggs,Alf Stead from Arro Bulk, Pete Burk,Harold Low, a chap from Australia called Wally,and loads more i cant remember at the moment,

hiya,
Ah Hull depot where’s Cliff Leader we was both at Bowkers at one time seems like BC late 60s when Cliff moved to MAT Hull I think.
thanks harry long retired.

Hi Mikehat1
I drove for MAT out of MIFT in Manchester and we used to have the motors serviced overnight in Hull for years whilst we stayed at the fishermans mission on Bankside. I remember all the guys you mention but had Cliff Leaders lad Garry started while you were there? Can you remeber Neil (Nelly) Moor and Dave Clark grass track racing? Talking about Dave Clark he was a misarable b+*&^%d and no mistake, but most of the lads in the fitting shop were ace. I remember Alf making a fantastic job of painting the motors. Ray Acey was a gent as was Pete Burke. When I worked for MAT it was like being in a comfort zone, bloody hard work but you were treated well and paid well and the motors were in most cases old but in good nick. I wish I had one of the old 110s now, they nearly gave them away as the new fleet of F7s and 2800 Dafs came on the scene. Glad you have good memories of your time at MAT, I wish we could roll back the years and do it all again. I am still working but I retire in June the company I work for now are ■■■■■ and have no respect for their staff.
Cliff

mikehat1:
Sorry don’t recognize that name,when I started we had, Dave Clark, Rob Palmer, John Priestly, Geff Hawker, Ray Acey, Chris . Then came Alf Barnickel, Neil Moor, Norman Low , Alan Wough ,then we moved to Brighton street and thru the years we had Mike Groak, Andy Connor, Roy ■■■■■ lips Bell, Derick Philipson John Mann, Jack Jackson, Norman Craggs,Alf Stead from Arro Bulk, Pete Burk,Harold Low, a chap from Australia called Wally,and loads more i cant remember at the moment,

Tony did his apprenticeship and got his papers from MAT, he has his own motors now and someone asked about Paul Leighton, he works for Tony now.

The only ones I know are Dave Clark and John Mann, maybe Neil Moore