Markham truck.stop

Ok maybe old.news.

But stopped there .at 12ish …but didn’t stay long.
The cafe is shut only open for takeaway 6 to 10am. Then .shut reopens at 1700.
Didn’t stay long carried on found laybe with a cafe as was starving.

Is sign.up saying under new ownership…
As say maybe old news as not been that way for a good 12 moths or so

I pass it on an almost daily basis and every couple of years I wonder to myself why I never stop there, then I go in to eat and sadly answer my own question. Garbage.

the maoster:
I pass it on an almost daily basis and every couple of years I wonder to myself why I never stop there, then I go in to eat and sadly answer my own question. Garbage.

What he say’s…

Last time I stopped there was before the plague and it was lacklustre, pricey and the bogs were decidedly whiffy.

If I do stop, I get myself a salad from Subway and crack on.

edit typo

Used to be good once over, pity it’s turned to crap as it is on a good site with potential to be one of the best.
Still got a couple of shower vouchers from ■■■■ years ago I found in my wallet just the other day in fact.
Used to be a good hotel/pub across the roundabout as far as I remember.

robroy:
Still got a couple of shower vouchers from [zb] years ago I found in my wallet just the other day in fact.

They were probably stuck in between all the large white five pound notes you have in there! :wink:

robroy:
Used to be good once over, pity it’s turned to crap as it is on a good site with potential to be one of the best.
Still got a couple of shower vouchers from [zb] years ago I found in my wallet just the other day in fact.
Used to be a good hotel/pub across the roundabout as far as I remember.

You’re right there was a ■■■■ good little pub, trouble was taking your life in your hands getting across the A1.
No idea if it’s still there, not stopped there In quite a few years, and yes the food at the truck stop wasn’t good and bloody expensive as well.

Many years ago we used to drive past and go park behind the big supermarket in Retford, many a good night out there.

^^^ there’s a flyover with footpath to cross the A1 now, so that’s reduced that particular risk. If you can survive the botulism in the cafe and getting back from the pub you’re onto a winner.

That town centre ■■■■■■■■■■■■ in Retford closed quite a few years back. Pity, because as you rightly say it was a cracking night.

I haven’t been there for ages .
But have noticed on the land.opppiste the entrance there is gated off caravan site for the travelling community .
complete with some static homes and.usual mobile caravans and.white van. Etc.
So.who knows how safe it would be parked there anymore

^^^^ like dawgs they rarely crap on their own doorstep.

Anybody else remember the old Markham Moor cafe on the same site pre Truckstop?
You could park on the s/b side and walk cross the A1 dual carriageway, think it was on one of the old A1 roundabouts…no?
Ok just me then. :blush:

#Maoster, those shower tickets were in the same bit as the note I made as to who bought the last meal and pint (you know how I look after my accounts :sunglasses: )
So guess who’s turn it is next. :wink: :laughing:

Would that be the former “Morleys Truck Stop?”

Yes, it’s predecessor was indeed Morley’s.
I only had chance to use it once and I had an industrial sized hangover from the night before :slight_smile:

This used to be one of the better truckstops a few years ago, sad to see it’s gone down now. I have been retired 15 years so have memories of better nights out there. Junction 29 at Chesterfield was another favourite, I wonder what that is like now?

Don’t recall it being called Morleys tbh, but I’ll take your word for it.
I do remember it was a bloody good cafe whatever it was called.
First went in there late 70s with a mate before I started driving myself, he knew ALL the good cafes…and pubs. :laughing:

Btw Gidders, …If it was Morleys,.was it not Morleys Cafe, as opposed to Morleys Truckstop?
I don’t recall any ‘‘Truckstops’’ in UK pre ‘‘Convoy’’ movie. :smiley:

robroy:
Don’t recall it being called Morleys tbh, but I’ll take your word for it.
I do remember it was a bloody good cafe whatever it was called.
First went in there late 70s with a mate before I started driving myself, he knew ALL the good cafes…and pubs. :laughing:

Btw Gidders, …If it was Morleys,.was it not Morleys Cafe, as opposed to Morleys Truckstop?
I don’t recall any ‘‘Truckstops’’ in UK pre ‘‘Convoy’’ movie. :smiley:

It could well be.As a youthful 73 year old I like to demonstrate how cool I am with modern vernacular!

It was defo called Morleys Cafe, I used to eat there when returning from the smoke, The grub was spot on and quite a large parking area, Then in later years when the Truck stop came about I only parked up there once in the 90s The grub was crap sticking to the plate like ■■■■ to a blanket as the old saying goes, So I never went back, I wonder how many decent watering holes are still going :question: , Regards Larry.

edd1974:
I haven’t been there for ages .
But have noticed on the land.opppiste the entrance there is gated off caravan site for the travelling community .
complete with some static homes and.usual mobile caravans and.white van. Etc.
So.who knows how safe it would be parked there anymore

That question has been asked before.
If I remember it right, the answer is:

1. They don’t do a dump on their front door step.
  2. The head man is a born again christian (why that’s relevant I dunno).
  3. They’ll provide back-up for the site security if a problem arises.

An excellent breakfast can be had at Jaynes place off the Blythe junction take your own soap in the toilet though there never seems to be any .

Punchy Dan:
An excellent breakfast can be had at Jaynes place off the Blythe junction take your own soap in the toilet though there never seems to be any .

You’re right always a good breakfast, 1st time I experienced fried potatoes for breakfast there.
Been there for as long as I can remember, not a lot of parking though.

Came past Jaynes the othe morning and noticed a load of new houses being constructed right beside the cafe. Surely it’ll only be a matter of time until these new residents petition to have it closed down. :imp: