Maritime

Does anyone have experience working for them? Are they any good?

Francis

No one!!! I’m thinking about buying with work. It seems ok if you’re wiling to work you’re nads off… Which I am! :smiley:

It’s a few years since I was on for Maritime, but the average would be £2000 for a 5 day week on distance.

Wincanton is similar at the moment, I still cant decide if locals are the best work due to using less diesel…

C

Did you like it? I’m thinking it might be for me…

ibson:
No one!!! I’m thinking about buying with work. It seems ok if you’re wiling to work you’re nads off… Which I am! :smiley:

do a search on here for Maritime!!!

read it all, then decide :wink:

this has been discussed many times before

No.

Listen, doing all this traction work for these companies at like sub £1.30 per mile is just a total waste of your time, you’d be better off being an employed driver. If you can get £1.50 per mile for traction then crack on.

Also, the mileage rate is all well and good if you’re banging out 400 miles plus per day which a lot of the time you aren’t…

Never a truer word was said.

Silver_Surfer:
No.

Listen, doing all this traction work for these companies at like sub £1.30 per mile is just a total waste of your time, you’d be better off being an employed driver. If you can get £1.50 per mile for traction then crack on.

Also, the mileage rate is all well and good if you’re banging out 400 miles plus per day which a lot of the time you aren’t…

+1

Silver_Surfer:
No.

I agree with you about being better off as an employed driver with a decent firm, unfortunately this is sometimes easier said than done.You only need to look on this forum to see lots of drivers seeking employment and some firms are very reluctant to take on ex owner operators.It is possible to scrape a living, even running a newish truck, on £1.25 a mile(true mileage not AA or similar) on traction work with no trailer hire but a lot depends on the type of work and mileage. Basically depends on the relationship between fixed and running costs, different for every operator.

Sometimes better the devil you know !!!

depending where you are willing to work,it can be great, im an owner/driver with a new truck,and im doing great,i am getting paid an excellent rate & paid on time by fantastic firm doing airfreight

Another pit fall of being an owner driver is even if you’re on a good touch, you only have one truck & one customer, if they go pear shaped, many don’t have a plan B.

sayerstransporthrw:
depending where you are willing to work,it can be great, im an owner/driver with a new truck,and im doing great,i am getting paid an excellent rate & paid on time by fantastic firm doing airfreight

care to elaborate?

no , i thought not :laughing:

cant say i blame you either if its as good as you say

didnt mean to sound arsey,lol,but a lot of the air cargo handlers are crying out for sensible subbies,you earn your money but you would have to anyway whatever you did!happy to correspond with any one who fancies it. can give you numbers etc so you can make your own minds up

and ive found a low ride lorry and airfreight trailer for anyone who fancies giving it a go :sunglasses:
euro-wheels.com/sales_detail … 3&image=FH Low.JPG

sayerstransporthrw:
didnt mean to sound arsey,lol,but a lot of the air cargo handlers are crying out for sensible subbies,you earn your money but you would have to anyway whatever you did!happy to correspond with any one who fancies it. can give you numbers etc so you can make your own minds up

Fair play to ya mate … I my self run 4 trucks on container work… Which i get good rates for… Most of the rates our the customers rates but when asked to quote on Didtance jobs i rate @ 1.50 plus 8% fuel…which is 1.62 per mile so there is good work not fantastic like but good… Maritime are just beatin there subbies with a hard stick!!! And takin alot more that 10% more like 25% out the job… You can make i wage from wot im led to belive on maritime but that depends on how much your payin out on your truck…

Jody

Don’t even think about it, you can’t even earn £100 wage on top of fuel, nevermind running costs.
Days work, Leeds to Peterlee back to Leeds, 12hrs shift, 300 kms = £223 paid . Say no more :blush:

darrennils:
Don’t even think about it, you can’t even earn £100 wage on top of fuel, nevermind running costs.
Days work, Leeds to Peterlee back to Leeds, 12hrs shift, 300 kms = £223 paid . Say no more :blush:

Try taking your handbrake off, I can comfortably do Tamworth to Peterlee and back to Tamworth, with a 3 hour tip in Peterlee, in very little over 10 hours

darrennils:

12 hours to do that run?

what were you doing man?

stopping at every baghouse on the way there and back? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I think maybe he means that’s the only work he could get in 12 hours?

Francis

ibson:
I think maybe he means that’s the only work he could get in 12 hours?

Francis

that may be what he means, but that is definitely not how it reads

Kinda funny, taking on board everything on here said about maritime. But last night parked up next to a maritime subbie, an old boy with 6 wagons and 35 years experience running his haulage firm.

Anyway he was saying his normal bulker work had died last year so he had took his wagons over to maritime. Rates and work was ok he said, no complaints.

He did say though it would’nt make sense if you had large finance on a fancy wagon brought off maritime say for 40+k.