Maritime Transport

Hi, I’m thinking of applying for a tramping job at Maritime transport, does anyone have a idea what the pay structure is(hourly rate, nights out, etc) and what their like to work for cheers :slight_smile:

Have you done a search on here? I went for an interview for them on nights, before tax etc it was £570p/w. Tramping, would be out all week, and from what a few of their blokes told me, its a take home of at least 600. Stand to be corrected though

Have you done a search on here? I went for an interview for them on nights, before tax etc it was £570p/w. Tramping, would be out all week, and from what a few of their blokes told me, its a take home of at least 600. Stand to be corrected though

Have you ever heard of Groundhog day?

Trucks are slow…

If you want to be spoken to like a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ by the jumped up little pricks in the office, cab hop for a couple of years despite being told you will have your own unit in a couple of months, work 15hrs every day, be away all week including Friday’s and have your life taken over by them… go for it. If you have or want a family life, forget it.

Their adverts usually say something like… due to our continued success blah de blaah. Absolute rubbish, it’s because the drivers are always leaving. One depot down South for example started 20 drivers back in the summer, one month later 19 had jacked in after finding out all the bullcrap at the interview was lies and the ignorant office staff. Not only do they want your blood, they also want the air you breathe.

Pros. Nice trucks,decent money.parking paid,owner J Williams is decent bloke.

Cons.Office staff are the worst I have ever dealt with,trucks are used as weapons to punish non conforming drivers,no home life.turn over of drivers is ridiculous,you will be planned in for Sat/v early starts Mon without any consultation.Disaplinary process is absolute joke.

I went there when Maritime bought out DHL.Not many drivers stayed more than a few weeks.I have never worked anywhere I disliked more.

The owner as I said seems a decent bloke but he is massively let down by office staff,managers,area managers.

There is a reason they are always advertising for staff,because its a good job spoilt

nw explorer:
The owner as I said seems a decent bloke but he is massively let down by office staff,managers,area managers.

This seems quite common throughout the industry. What is it about office staff?

Too many drivers who take office Wallah’s ■■■■! Marmite are trying to be Stobarts! Just work for Stobbies! The same pay at both companies! Stobarts having the newer kit though! And trampers at Stobart get their own units from the off! Will be used when on holiday/weekends depot dependent! HTH

Just finished after 3 and a half years on Maritme out of Fxto. It’s not the worst job in the world but certainly not the best :unamused: . I was lucky that I had a good relationship with my planner and we had an understanding on when I would work weekends etc. Good kit etc… The downside for me was the petty rules the stupid uniform and outside influences from pen pushers with no knowledge of Transport. The reason I left was simple… Money.!!! Even though they called you a tramper some weeks could be 5 nights out maxing your hours then the next week could be 2 nights out and 5 hrs overtime. My wages fluctuated from £400 to £600+ but you never knew what the week was gonna turn out like… No good to me with a mortgage etc to pay just could’nt budget properly. So now I have a salaried position with a decent wage and peace of mind Knowing what I’m earning before I’ve turned a wheel. They do have a massive turnover of drivers but as do a lot of companies in Fxto it just seems the way down there. I know fellas who have worked for almost every one. I’ve worked for 3 in the last 7 yrs and they’re all much of a muchness… Same (zb) different name on the door… That’s my pennies worth hope it helps :slight_smile:

Can’t be worse than doing boxes on Wincanton. They are so desperate for drivers they are offering bonuses if you introduce someone. Must be now over 50% agency drivers who earn about 50% more than the regular drivers.

dessy:
Too many drivers who take office Wallah’s [zb]! Marmite are trying to be Stobarts! Just work for Stobbies! The same pay at both companies! Stobarts having the newer kit though! And trampers at Stobart get their own units from the off! Will be used when on holiday/weekends depot dependent! HTH

true although the kit is better spec and no shelling out on parking with maritime for me its the best job i have had so far only downside is boxes boar me to tears

Maritime - aka Marmite - is a love or hate job.

I really liked the job, liked the truck being kitted out with stuff like microwave and fridge making it a decent place to be stuck in a traffic jam.

I didn’t like the attitude of ‘if you don’t like it, there’s the door - there’s hundreds of applicants waiting for your job’ and you will do this and that or else.

I thought I had it sorted there, but I’d snapped at a couple of planners over daft stuff and on the week I was fired (yes I was fired, not I have no axe to grind as I did wrong) I’d refused to work on the Sunday as I finished on the Friday night and was TOLD my start time for Sunday.

I like sitting around waiting for 6hrs for a tip, used to take my pushbike and laptop, so would always have plenty to do and get paid whilst doing it, it’s where I joined trucknet lol

Rhythm Thief:

nw explorer:

Because they are arse kissing little tossers.I am a Transport Manager and I’m lovely,but I did 25 years driving first.That I think is the root problem,basicaly kids parachuted in to positions

nw explorer:

Rhythm Thief:

nw explorer:

Because they are arse kissing little tossers.I am a Transport Manager and I’m lovely,but I did 25 years driving first.That I think is the root problem,basicaly kids parachuted in to positions

Text book managers as I call them. They go to University and come out thinking they know it all until it comes to managing in the “Real World” where none of their text books actually cater for!

what their like to work for

In my book, whether one likes working for a company, is the same as ones taste in music, subjective.

Personally, if there is a company advertising and I think they are for me I speak to drivers who are still working for the company. Ex drivers are ex drivers for a reason with good and bad opinions but invariably bad.

Work out what you want and if that company will provide it? I’ve never had issues anywhere I’ve worked but I suppose that comes down to the individual. if you want to go to work, earn your money and do your best then you should have no issues wherever. Never worked for this company so can’t comment on what they’re like but their drivers I have spoken seem quite happy and know where they stand. They talk very highly of the owner who speaks to them on equal terms and sorts issues out very quickly they tell me.

The ‘operators don’t know what they are doing’ syndrome affects every haulage company in existence and drivers can always do a better job, but you don’t see many drivers doing that job, what does that tell you?

I’m regularly told how bad the company is I work for, mainly by drivers who have never worked for them. But I like it, I enjoy the work, like my truck and i’m happy.

I enjoyed my time there. I only left as I was being pressured by my old boss to go back. I can count on one hand the times my wages were less than £500 take home. As said, John Williams is easy to get on with. Trouble with management is they are on bonus, so only care for themselves. But what can you do? If they weren’t on bonus they wouldn’t give a toss and the firm would probably go down the tubes. I would go back tomorrow if I needed a job

having just done ten years on boxes the reason drivers dont become planners is the huge pay cut.away all week we earnt more than the planners and a lot of the managers

I work for Maritime and have done for 2.5 years. We’ve got good trucks (M A N’s excluded) and they are all well looked after. The wages go up and down with the amount of work available, the same as any company that is not salaried.
All the negative comments must be from those who just did not get on with the idiots on the other end of the phone.
Each to their own but still worth a punt if you are after a decent job.
And at the end of the day; don’t mess up and you won’t end up on a disciplinary. Simples!