Maritime Transport Sub Contractor deal

Hy everyone !!!

Is anybody heard or know something about this Maritime Transport ? ( Are they paying good?)

This is the link:
maritimetransport.com/contac … ractor.cfm

Im thinking about to buy a Daf XF with work from them. But i dont really know where and how to start. I did phone them up,and talked them,but the first question was: Have you got Operator Licence? i sad: I havent got at the moment. And then the guy send me an email:

Subject: Sub-contractor Enquiry

We thank you for your interest in Maritime Transport. We are keen to develop business relationships with professional hauliers and owner operators by providing regular, quality business on a long-term basis. As the largest privately owned Transport Company in the container transport sector of the industry, the business we are able to provide for your vehicle(s) is continuous and will allow us to maximise your earning potential throughout the course of the year

In return we are looking for reliable trucks and drivers prepared to work with us to provide a first class service to the customer whilst achieving a positive financial result for you and for us.

Rates

Rates are calculated using a single trip and round trip tariff based system, which provides the opportunity for you, and our Operators to enhance the weekly operating revenue of your vehicle(s) whilst reducing the percentage of earnings spent on fuel. It is recognised it is financially critical to balance revenues and costs to reach the desired result at the end of each week. We are committed to working with you to achieve this goal. As a guideline the average rate applied to round trip work over 100 miles is £1.15 per mile and one-way work up to 150 miles is £1.50, 180 miles £1.39 and 230 miles £1.27 (all figures are net of fuel surcharge payment which is explained later). When a one-way job is carried out, the subsequent job will be allocated to minimise empty mileage between jobs. With regard to containers being reloaded directly from a delivery an additional £40 is paid on the round trip tariff.

Fuel Recovery

All sub-contractors working for Maritime Transport on a dedicated basis benefit from an additional ‘fuel recovery’ payment to protect against fuel cost increases. This is reviewed monthly and is calculated as follows:

The base cost of fuel is set at 82 pence per litre (PPL). This is deducted from the national average cost of fuel issued by the RHA and calculated monthly in arrears, (all figures quoted are net of VAT). The difference is expressed as a percentage of the base cost and a supplement of 30% of this figure is paid against each job undertaken in the following month:

(Current PPL — 82) x 30% = Fuel Recovery % Paid
Buy with Work Option

We are currently recruiting subcontractors providing their own vehicles but for details of our Buy with Work scheme which provides the added extra of weekly guarantees on minimum mileages for those subcontractors purchasing a vehicle from us, you should contact our Second-hand Trucks Department on 07980 100200 for further information.

Trailer Hire

Trailers are charged at £90 + VAT per trailer, per week, inclusive of servicing and all normal wear and tear, but excluding punctures.

Bulldog Locks

Container locks are available to purchase at £60 plus VAT per lock, if required. Please find a ‘Bulldog Container Lock Request Form’ enclosed.

Do you think guys is it a good deal ? How do you calculate your rate ?
I really like to find someone who, work for them or used to work for them.

Cheers

Tom

Do a search on her you will get lots of info on it.
If you do go ahead there trucks are very overpriced. Shuttlespanker used to work for them.

kr79:
Do a search on her you will get lots of info on it.
If you do go ahead there trucks are very overpriced. Shuttlespanker used to work for them.

Thank you so much,i`ll try to contact him.

If its such a good deal then why are they constantly advertising for subcontractors? its a question you may want to think about

If you havent even got your O license yet then you are a long way from worrying about buying a truck

TomDaf:
As a guideline the average rate applied to round trip work over 100 miles is £1.15 per mile and one-way work up to 150 miles is £1.50, 180 miles £1.39 and 230 miles £1.27 (all figures are net of fuel surcharge payment which is explained later).

There’s no way in the world I could run my truck on those rates.

Seems the more you do the cheaper it gets… Til when? You do the run F.O.C?

£1.15 a mile round trip plus 90 quid a week trl hire how can anyone make containers pay,think the only person that would take this deal would have two pencils shoved up there nose n be constintly saying wobble,if this is what maritime are offering you can bet your bottom dollar most of the others (deben elite roadways wincaski )are around the same,not suprised the truck rags are full of adverts looking for so called dedicated subbies more like dedicated lunatics

monarch of the highway:
£1.15 a mile round trip plus 90 quid a week trl hire how can anyone make containers pay,think the only person that would take this deal would have two pencils shoved up there nose n be constintly saying wobble,if this is what maritime are offering you can bet your bottom dollar most of the others (deben elite roadways wincaski )are around the same,not suprised the truck rags are full of adverts looking for so called dedicated subbies more like dedicated lunatics

containers can pay, it depends on what sort of work you are doing :wink:

Looks more like an advert to me!! Who do I call at Maritime is it Tom what is he trying to sell oh a Daf. I’ve subbed for Maritime before when work has been quiet elsewhere and barely broke even. If you want to work for Maritime get a job application form not £40 grands worth of finance is my advice. :slight_smile:

Thx guys !!! It is not easy at the moment…Lot of things to think about it…
At the moment i work as a dustcar driver. Pays me 410pound/week,which is not bad,but i would like
to do something better.I dont have a chance to step up at this job.If i stay here,i always will be work as a driver. I know that i can do better job. I used to work for me brother as a transport planner. (My Brother lives in the EU,he`s got 9 trucks)
and i enjoyed it. Maybe you will ask me: if you enjoyed it why did you leave it?
Because i want to stand on me feet. Thats all…

Have a nice weekend to everyone !!!

Thx 4 the comments…

shuttlespanker:

monarch of the highway:

containers can pay, it depends on what sort of work you are doing :wink:

And if you fit in with what is required. Many appear to make a good living from it. Some better than others (730 Scanias don’t come cheap, yet they seem to work ok on boxes) if yr attitude and yr face fits you’ll go along way. The bigger companies have a reputation to protect. They will pay on time. (personally, I got out at the right time when things were getting tough)

I’d be interested to know what a truck could earn over a busy five-day week on containers. Anyone got an idea of the top line?

Harry Monk:
I’d be interested to know what a truck could earn over a busy five-day week on containers. Anyone got an idea of the top line?

I’ve no experience of containers but from what people have posted on here over the years I think that’s a bit of a “how long is a piece of string” question. If you’re on a good contract and the planner lines you the earnings will be a lot higher than if you fell out with the planner the week before.

Paul

I’m subbing for the firm who agreed to take me on before I even booked my Operator’s CPC, but I have looked at various other options and Maritime were one of them. I had a chat with them, they sent me an information pack, but I just couldn’t get the figures to add up.

Diesel was 112.8p a litre last week which is £5.12 a gallon. Assuming you get 8mpg then that’s 64p a mile, leaving 51p a mile to operate the truck with. Perhaps the fuel recovery scheme pushes this up to a more reasonable amount?

Harry Monk:

I think top line is irrelevent I’m afraid. Easy to chase after £2500 carrots at a pound a mile. Don’t be drawn by top line figures.

MR VAIN:

Harry Monk:

I think top line is irrelevent I’m afraid. Easy to chase after £2500 carrots at a pound a mile. Don’t be drawn by top line figures.

Of course. But I’d still be interested to know what the top line figure potentially was.

Harry Monk:

MR VAIN:

Harry Monk:

Of course. But I’d still be interested to know what the top line figure potentially was.

the best top line figure i ever earned whilst on Maritime was a fraction over £3000 (plus the dreaded) for 1 truck, started on monday morning, got back saturday lunchtime

that was a one off week, normally, it was around £2000 +/-

but, as Mr Vain has said, it is not down to top line earnings, it is down to what you have left after fuel has been paid

shuttlespanker:
as Mr Vain has said, it is not down to top line earnings, it is down to what you have left after fuel has been paid

Too right, that’s why as a rough guide to how good a week I have had I take top line and deduct fuel used. In rough figures if the result is over £1500 I’ve had a good week, between about £1300 and £1500 is a reasonable week, below £1300 is a poor week.

Paul

What about maintenance costs, it must be killing you bulk guys,

repton:

shuttlespanker:
as Mr Vain has said, it is not down to top line earnings, it is down to what you have left after fuel has been paid

Too right, that’s why as a rough guide to how good a week I have had I take top line and deduct fuel used. In rough figures if the result is over £1500 I’ve had a good week, between about £1300 and £1500 is a reasonable week, below £1300 is a poor week.

Paul

TomDaf:
Hy everyone !!!

Is anybody heard or know something about this Maritime Transport ? ( Are they paying good?)

This is the link:
maritimetransport.com/contac … ractor.cfm

Im thinking about to buy a Daf XF with work from them. But i dont really know where and how to start. I did phone them up,and talked them,but the first question was: Have you got Operator Licence? i sad: I havent got at the moment. And then the guy send me an email:

Cheers

Tom

I think if Tom had answered yes to that first question, they would have asked him to stay on the telephone until the pressgang arrived :wink: