Maritime oops

Another bridge strike

cambridge-news.co.uk/news/br … y-12151396

I was just approaching J10 southbound when I heard the M11 was closed, dived off onto the A505 and followed the old A11 down through Newport to avoid the closure, this bloke was a few hundred yards behind me, but I was pulling one of our 4m euroliners. I wondered why there wasnt anything following me after I cleared Newport!

This photo can’t have been taken at the same bridge, surely? If it’s a 14’ 3" bridge, how could it rip the roof off of a Daf CF tractor unit?

Harry Monk:
This photo can’t have been taken at the same bridge, surely? If it’s a 14’ 3" bridge, how could it rip the roof off of a Daf CF tractor unit?

When the trailer hits the bridge the front of the unit goes up. Had the roof of my truck smashed the same way when a limper hit a bridge in North Walsham.

Ian58:

Harry Monk:

When the trailer hits the bridge the front of the unit goes up. Had the roof of my truck smashed the same way when a limper hit a bridge in North Walsham.

Ah ok, that explains it, ta. Must be a bit of a brown trouser moment. :stuck_out_tongue:

Picture don’t correspond with news article

commonrail2:
Picture don’t correspond with news article

The photo of the DAF is in the article linked to as an example of previous collisions at the same bridge.

It’s just indefensible for a driver at a container haulier to be hitting bridges in my opinion. The heights are set in stone - 14’6 for a high cube, 13’6 for a standard and in my experience I have never failed to notice which type i’m carrying, it’s obvious when you look at it.

EDIT: I’ve just noticed it’s a curtainsider, which is even more disturbing because it means he’s pulling one of their tall 15’1 ones, so not even close :unamused:

I wonder if the truck driver behind with a similar looking height vehicle (could be optical illusion though) is thinking if he makes it I’m going for it.

More evidence…

That height indicator signs in cabs are almost pointless.

Surely we have the technology to fit trucks with bridge height detection equipment? You know, some sort of lazer/infra red thingy and anything the truck can’t get under a buzzer goes off at 200 yards. If it gets to 50 yards, a large boxing glove (possibly painted with the words ‘wake up you moron’ on it in large letters) comes out of the steering wheel and the driver gets a punch in the face.

yourhavingalarf:
More evidence…

That height indicator signs in cabs are almost pointless.

Surely we have the technology to fit trucks with bridge height detection equipment? You know, some sort of lazer/infra red thingy and anything the truck can’t get under a buzzer goes off at 200 yards. If it gets to 50 yards, a large boxing glove (possibly painted with the words ‘wake up you moron’ on it in large letters) comes out of the steering wheel and the driver gets a punch in the face.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If there has been previous incidents with the same bridge or any bridge comes to that,why have the Councils or the Rail company not installed an illuminated over height warning gantry with height detectors on the approach.
Another option would be to have hanging chains so they hit the vehicle if its over height before it gets to the bridge.

lolipop:
If there has been previous incidents with the same bridge or any bridge comes to that,why have the Councils or the Rail company not installed an illuminated over height warning gantry with height detectors on the approach.
Another option would be to have hanging chains so they hit the vehicle if its over height before it gets to the bridge.

Hard to believe I know but…

Both of those methods have failed previoulsy. The bridge just by the Redback cafe has height detectors/alarms/signs/bells/whistles/man with red flag and that still gets clouted twice a year or more.

Chains? I once saw a VW camper gently touch one of those in an entrance to a multi-storey. The bloke gets out, scratches his head and then proceeds to wrap the marker board over the bar itself. He then drove into the car park and looked surprised when he hit the car park roof.

i sh*t you not.