Maritime Doncaster

yorkshire terrier:
So you would go to work to be treated like crap really■■?
Well my firm is a small operator treated very very well and pays more than the likes of maritime,

I agree with you Yorkshire Terrier. I work for a small family firm and paid decent money, whilst treated like a friend by the bosses. Also feels so good and liberating to walk around the yard without a Hi Vis and have no worries about some doylem shouting at you for not keeping to the walkway in the yard. Not that we have a walkway

The Doncaster depot is based at the IKEA RDC, so i’d expect IKEA work.

All in all this has been a long time argument between drivers and employers as well as the people that you are delivering too,
Not been on for a long time as I have been to ill (long story) but I have been doing some research on this and it does seem a bit long winded but here goes,
There are a number of reasons why they say you cannot stay in your cab whilst tipping or loading the main one they use is safety,
So I contact the health and safety executive about this problem and let them know that drivers were being forced to sit in a drivers room and hand keys in this is what they told me,

1. if they are not employed by your company and are not a named driver on there insurance documents then they have no legal right to have the keys to your vehicle in law it comes under possession without insurance( bit like having a vehicle with no insurance),
    They have to hold the correct licence to hold the keys to the vehicle (ie) class1,2,3,7.5ton,etc, etc if they do not have that licence and the right insurance then they cannot have the keys,
    If their are no facilities for drivers to use (ie) toilets in working a canteen or vending machines that you can use decent chairs to sit on and heating then you do not have to sit in the drivers room as it is your human right under the human rights act to have access to toilets food water and warmth that is the law and if the company you are delivering too does not provide it they and your employer are breaking the law and you can go to tribunal to prosecute them for that,
    Now in this day and age we have a lot of drivers with medical conditions if they need to take medication at regular intervals ( this can be for anything sometimes life saving and life long ) then that driver has the right to be in a warm and safe place usually their cab again it comes under rule 1 of the human rights act and that is for drivers with medical conditions ( the right to life ) some drivers take life saving medication this does not mean they cannot drive an L.G.V. we have drivers that drive after having strokes heart attacks etc, etc.
    If the company have dock locks they have all the safety they need plus you have to right to drop the trailer and go to get something to eat under the law they are supposed to tell you how long you will be on the bay for unloading (comes under available for other work) so you have the right to go and get something to eat neither your employer or the company you are delivering too can stop you unless it is a 20 minute unload and you will be on your way.
    So far I have won prosecutions at tribunal against TESCO, ASDA, SAINBURYS, ALDI, LIDL, AMAZON, PETS AT HOME, to name but a few I no longer drive due to my illness but I used to when I was first ill once I told a manger I have controlled medication with me they just told the goods in staff leave him let him do what he wants he has got rights I kept my keys and sat quiet in my cab,
    I was fortunate that my boss backed me up and it was a big major company that I worked for I can’t tell you as they have asked me not too but you would be amazed who they were.
    So the bottom line is no one can force you to sit in a crumby drivers room and you have the right to food and water as well as warmth there is no law that says you have to sit in a drivers room or hand vehicle keys in as the health and safety commission say there is no law saying you have too then drop the bombshell on your transport manager and watch him glow red in the face,
    You do have to vacate your cab when they are putting containers on and taking them off as if the container slips of the loader it can crush your cab killing the driver or passenger so that is a safety issue,
    Posted this here as I could not find a post for sitting in drivers room at RDC’s and this was closest thing to it hope it helps.

You sound like the type of guy who stands up to corporate b/s and injustices.
You could make a name for yourself if you were willing to take this further, and get facilities fit for human beings at these places where we are considered as second class citizens.
Worth considering or what?
I only occasionally do rdc.s on a Saturday back load, but that is maybe once every 3 or so weeks, so I do not have to endure all that crap as much as others have to on a regular basis.

I’m sure there will be a lot of lads who do these crapholes regularly,.and amongst the many apathetic, the pathetic, and the yes men among them, who will readily put up with anything, rI’m sure there will be a lot who will back you up and readily support you in a worthwhile campaign to improve their job.

ArcticMonkey:

yorkshire terrier:
So you would go to work to be treated like crap really■■?
Well my firm is a small operator treated very very well and pays more than the likes of maritime,

I agree with you Yorkshire Terrier. I work for a small family firm and paid decent money, whilst treated like a friend by the bosses. Also feels so good and liberating to walk around the yard without a Hi Vis and have no worries about some doylem shouting at you for not keeping to the walkway in the yard. Not that we have a walkway

Couldn’t agree with you more, our lot are the same. Small family firm. We obviously get issued with any required ppe etc but they apply common sense too… along the lines of ‘you’ve got yer boots it’s entirely up to you if you wear em or not but you’ve signed for em so don’t come moaning to us when you’ve crushed your foot in trainers’

yorkshire terrier:
I wouldn’t join maritime if they were the last firm on earth…
Do you like been watched by incab camera?
Do you like been talked down to by joey Essex lookalikes?
Do you like your driving been monitored and a d#ck head driver trainer telling you how to work the “maritime way” ■■
If you do they will quite happily clone you in to one of there staff.

Who cares? All that matters is what the pay is.

But try a smaller operator with non of the corporate rubbish of maritime.

And a smaller pay packet to go with it. But they’ll give you a blinged up truck not that that’ll help pay for the weekly shopping.

Conor:

yorkshire terrier:
Do you like your driving been monitored and a d#ck head driver trainer telling you how to work the “maritime way” ■■

And a smaller pay packet to go with it. But they’ll give you a blinged up truck not that that’ll help pay for the weekly shopping.

Blinged up trucks mean very little to me, and certainly not enough to be used as an excuse or an alternative to be paid a decent pay rate.

Having said that, working for a firm that both runs a draconian regime in terms of constant or random surveillance, and has an inept and incompetent management team, does not appeal to me either, and would not be a better alternative to a marginally lower pay rate if I’m honest.

Conor:

yorkshire terrier:

We get paid slightly more than maritime and yes we get a truck full of bling too.
We are spoken to like adults given Xmas off not under constant scrutiny.
Maritime brainwash there drivers in to accepting all this crap and they have a fleet of yes men.

robroy:

Conor:

yorkshire terrier:

Blinged up trucks mean very little to me, and certainly not enough to be used as an excuse or an alternative to be paid a decent pay rate.

Having said that, working for a firm that both runs a draconian regime in terms of constant or random surveillance, and has an inept and incompetent management team, does not appeal to me either, and would not be a better alternative to a marginally lower pay rate if I’m honest.

You ever been in a maritime yard robroy■■? Honestly it’s like there staff are cloned.

yorkshire terrier:
You ever been in a maritime yard robroy■■? Honestly it’s like there staff are cloned.

:smiley: Nah I haven’t mate, but I can imagine it. :smiley:

I really do not know how these type of firms get drivers to work for them, being a yes man is one thing, but you would think even those types would have limits.

I could not think of anything worse than driving your motor constantly aware that some ■■■■■■ is maybe sat watching you. :open_mouth:

The argument from the gullible and the brainwashed who put up with all this crap, usually goes along the lines of…
‘‘Well they don’t watch you ALL the time’’ :neutral_face: :open_mouth:
Who gives a ■■■■, whether they are looking at you for 24 hours or 5 mins ?..It’s a complete ■■■■ take and a liberty, and it should never have been accepted by any driver with a backbone in the first place. :unamused:
This job has turned to crap over the years with all this sort of stuff.

[/quote]
:smiley: Nah I haven’t mate, but I can imagine it. :smiley:

I really do not know how these type of firms get drivers to work for them, being a yes man is one thing, but you would think even those types would have limits.

I could not think of anything worse than driving your motor constantly aware that some ■■■■■■ is maybe sat watching you. :open_mouth:

The argument from the gullible and the brainwashed who put up with all this crap, usually goes along the lines of…
‘‘Well they don’t watch you ALL the time’’ :neutral_face: :open_mouth:
Who gives a [zb], whether they are looking at you for 24 hours or 5 mins ?..It’s a complete ■■■■ take and a liberty, and it should never have been accepted by any driver with a backbone in the first place. :unamused:
This job has turned to crap over the years with all this sort of stuff.
[/quote]
Too bloody right mate, I’m the grand old age of 34 and agree with you entirely there… but too many younger guys now, the firm says jump and they say how high? Like you often say, if people stood up for themselves this industry would have stayed like it used to be and its only gonna get worse the more yes men come along.

wide-load85:
Too bloody right mate, I’m the grand old age of 34 and agree with you entirely there… but TOO MANY YOUNGER GUYS now, the firm says jump and they say how high? Like you often say, if people stood up for themselves this industry would have stayed like it used to be and its only gonna get worse the more yes men come along.

Not just younger guys mate, some of the older guys on my lot who should know better, never cease to amaze me the lengths that they go to, only to impress the boss, and kiss his arse, despite being treated with contempt from head depot level.
Chasing their own arses round drops when they are not required to, (thus making the sensible drivers look bad), starting at midnight past 1 on a Mon morning, after kipping in yard for no extra, so missing getting paid a premium rate Sunday run and a night out.(also this on bank holiday Mondays :unamused: ) and general muppetry such as that.
No cure for stupidity, and pork is uneducatable as I’ve said before. :unamused:

robroy:

wide-load85:
Too bloody right mate, I’m the grand old age of 34 and agree with you entirely there… but TOO MANY YOUNGER GUYS now, the firm says jump and they say how high? Like you often say, if people stood up for themselves this industry would have stayed like it used to be and its only gonna get worse the more yes men come along.

Not just younger guys mate, some of the older guys on my lot who should know better, never cease to amaze me the lengths that they go to, only to impress the boss, and kiss his arse, despite being treated with contempt from head depot level.
Chasing their own arses round drops when they are not required to, (thus making the sensible drivers look bad), starting at midnight past 1 on a Mon morning, after kipping in yard for no extra, so missing getting paid a premium rate Sunday run and a night out.(also this on bank holiday Mondays :unamused: ) and general muppetry such as that.
No cure for stupidity, and pork is uneducatable as I’ve said before. :unamused:

Skin in this one.For years we enjoyed sunday runs to Redruth and Kendal,now the cretinocracy have deep-sixed that number by,like you say,sodding of at 1am monday.Utter.utter morons.Glad i jacked yesterday.

bigmiler:
All in all this has been a long time argument between drivers and employers as well as the people that you are delivering too,
Not been on for a long time as I have been to ill (long story) but I have been doing some research on this and it does seem a bit long winded but here goes,
There are a number of reasons why they say you cannot stay in your cab whilst tipping or loading the main one they use is safety,
So I contact the health and safety executive about this problem and let them know that drivers were being forced to sit in a drivers room and hand keys in this is what they told me,

1. if they are not employed by your company and are not a named driver on there insurance documents then they have no legal right to have the keys to your vehicle in law it comes under possession without insurance( bit like having a vehicle with no insurance),
    They have to hold the correct licence to hold the keys to the vehicle (ie) class1,2,3,7.5ton,etc, etc if they do not have that licence and the right insurance then they cannot have the keys,
    If their are no facilities for drivers to use (ie) toilets in working a canteen or vending machines that you can use decent chairs to sit on and heating then you do not have to sit in the drivers room as it is your human right under the human rights act to have access to toilets food water and warmth that is the law and if the company you are delivering too does not provide it they and your employer are breaking the law and you can go to tribunal to prosecute them for that,
    Now in this day and age we have a lot of drivers with medical conditions if they need to take medication at regular intervals ( this can be for anything sometimes life saving and life long ) then that driver has the right to be in a warm and safe place usually their cab again it comes under rule 1 of the human rights act and that is for drivers with medical conditions ( the right to life ) some drivers take life saving medication this does not mean they cannot drive an L.G.V. we have drivers that drive after having strokes heart attacks etc, etc.
    If the company have dock locks they have all the safety they need plus you have to right to drop the trailer and go to get something to eat under the law they are supposed to tell you how long you will be on the bay for unloading (comes under available for other work) so you have the right to go and get something to eat neither your employer or the company you are delivering too can stop you unless it is a 20 minute unload and you will be on your way.
    So far I have won prosecutions at tribunal against TESCO, ASDA, SAINBURYS, ALDI, LIDL, AMAZON, PETS AT HOME, to name but a few I no longer drive due to my illness but I used to when I was first ill once I told a manger I have controlled medication with me they just told the goods in staff leave him let him do what he wants he has got rights I kept my keys and sat quiet in my cab,
    I was fortunate that my boss backed me up and it was a big major company that I worked for I can’t tell you as they have asked me not too but you would be amazed who they were.
    So the bottom line is no one can force you to sit in a crumby drivers room and you have the right to food and water as well as warmth there is no law that says you have to sit in a drivers room or hand vehicle keys in as the health and safety commission say there is no law saying you have too then drop the bombshell on your transport manager and watch him glow red in the face,
    You do have to vacate your cab when they are putting containers on and taking them off as if the container slips of the loader it can crush your cab killing the driver or passenger so that is a safety issue,
    Posted this here as I could not find a post for sitting in drivers room at RDC’s and this was closest thing to it hope it helps.

Sensational post bud.Well impressed.■■■■ shame one of my ex employers,most decent of men was sacked a few months ago while trying to make a few of these points when a charmless oik tried to make him sit in Arcadias craphole canteen.He was a tad quick to anger alas and i guess like many,from his then employer,was probably sub- consciously courting the p45 option.I wonder how this would fly at Tesco,Reading,ninth circle of hell itself.?

@Manalishi
I just don’t get it either.
You could understand it if they were told at interview level
‘‘Right this is how we want it done.
We require you to run like an idiot at all times, teararse round drops, and don’t be stopping for a ■■■■, …no time for that.
Work your breaks around getting drops off.
No Sunday runners at premium time, come in the yard on Sun pm, pick up your trailer/fuel up off card, have a few hours kip in truck…we won’t be paying you btw, and do the same every Bank Hol Mon, to run Tues also.
In fact don’t look at this as a job, …consider it more of an endurance excercise… You can start next week’’

But they are not told that or expected to do it, so the obvious question is…WHY?? :neutral_face:

robroy:
@Manalishi
I just don’t get it either.
You could understand it if they were told at interview level
‘‘Right this is how we want it done.
We require you to run like an idiot at all times, teararse round drops, and don’t be stopping for a ■■■■, …no time for that.
Work your breaks around getting drops off.
No Sunday runners at premium time, come in the yard on Sun pm, pick up your trailer/fuel up off card, have a few hours kip in truck…we won’t be paying you btw, and do the same every Bank Hol Mon, to run Tues also.
In fact don’t look at this as a job, …consider it more of an endurance excercise… You can start next week’’

But they are not told that or expected to do it, so the obvious question is…WHY?? :neutral_face:

Kinda makes you wonder.I can’t help thinking the ■■■■■■ tendency of current uk calibre driver isn’t some kind of test-bed for the future cyborg grade,compliant-drone model that the ptb are phasing in.The blokes at my last place were big on spleen venting,not too good on righting the many wrongs at large.

manalishi:

bigmiler:

Sensational post bud.Well impressed.■■■■ shame one of my ex employers,most decent of men was sacked a few months ago while trying to make a few of these points when a charmless oik tried to make him sit in Arcadias craphole canteen.He was a tad quick to anger alas and i guess like many,from his then employer,was probably sub- consciously courting the p45 option.I wonder how this would fly at Tesco,Reading,ninth circle of hell itself.?

Looking at this deeper,its starting to chime more and more.I only picked up the rudiments of my esteemed colleagues sacking and it sounds likely he was trying to exercise some of the points you mention above,especially the legalities of the keys/licence part but being the robust,no fools suffered type he is,no doubt came a cropper.
He also has a dreadful back story with Maritime too,bizarrley considering this thread,when working for them he suffered a major medical episode years ago,a serious health incident rendered him hyper vulnerable,one of the maritime office bods was less than interested in his predicament and our Fred pretty much nearly copped it.
Being the old-school irrascible bugger he is :slight_smile: we never got a full account but its a dreadful tale of disconnectivity and corporate callousness that neatly fits that particular outfit.I did 4 years for them in Southampton and am hearing its business as usual in that neck of the woods.