March CPC Stuff

Well, less than a week to go, is everyone bricking it yet?

I’ve just done the sample Modules 1 and 2 as linked on this forum and got 73% and 78% respectively on them so two passes although the first one was a bit close for comfort really…

And so to the case study. Here is my take on it, comments welcome.

As others (dieseldave specifically I think) have already mentioned elsewhere, we’re almost certainly looking at a good few marks for each of the two items mentioned in the “Other information” section, namely the health and safety aspects and diesel theft and diciplinary procedures.

There will possibly also be a question about bringing your maintenance in house, similar perhaps to the one that was in the December exam, so I would presume that knowing a list of facilities/equipment you would need to service vehicles to VOSA requirements would be a good idea.

I would also hazard a guess at a question requiring you to detail a schedule for one or more of the journeys involved with the existing two contracts, given that they go into detail about average speeds and distances. One slight anomaly is that on the first contract the distance to go straight from the depot to Stirling is noticeably longer than the return journey even though on the return you have to go via Birmingham!

There could perhaps be a question on costing the work done by the smaller vehicles too given that they give you details of the number of days they work, the distances they travel and their fuel economy.

Other interesting points to note are that the company is not currently using its full allowance on the O licence of 8 vehicles (as although there are 8 in total the 3.5t panel van doesn’t count) so if you decide you need more for the new contract there is space for one. From what I can see at a very quick glance you’ll need two 17/18t rigids for the new contract, which you already have in the fleet but that would then mean they are no longer available for the ad hoc work they currently do which may or may not be an issue.

There is talk of driver’s hours (40 per week) and their hourly rates (which seem quite generous to me!) and so I can see something involving number crunching cropping there.

It’s also worth noting that whilst you have enough LGV drivers to keep all the vehicles on the road (3 with C+E and 2 with C), you only have one other driver who has a car licence gained long enough ago that he will also have C1 so he can drive the 7.5tonners, but even taking that into account you only have a total of 6 drivers and 8 vehicles at the present time.

The only thing in the scenario that I can’t think of an obvious question to suit is the fact that they tell you that you plan to sell the business in 18months. They can’t ask for a valuation or anything along those lines I wouldn’t think as they don’t give you any hint as to any assets or liabilities.

Possible questions aside, it seems like a pretty badly run business to me! Lots and lots of empty running, and pretty poor vehicle utilisation (the two 7.5tonners working an average of 100 days per year each means they’re only running on average about 2 days a week each, and the 17 tonners aren’t doing much better). I suppose at least that possible new contract will keep the 17 tonners running all week…

Anyway, I’ll stop waffling now. Comments welcome, especially if I’ve missed anything glaringly obvious.

Paul

CPC EXAM TIPS

I’m not fond of doing this, but I do feel it needs saying. :frowning:

PLEASE guys, don’t shoot the messenger, I’m only trying to help.:grimacing:

One of the commonest reasons for failing the case study is a candidate’s simple refusal to take notice of the written instructions contained in the questions.

For example, if a question says “list three occasions when…” that means they want a LIST. ie. 1. this, 2. that, 3 the other.
That’s it, nothing more. Don’t write an essay, and don’t write more than three things, because it immediately shows you haven’t taken any notice of the question. :open_mouth:

Why?? Sorry guys, but that’s easy. If you write seven things, the marker is under strict instructions to only look at the FIRST three. You might well have written three iffy things as the first three and three good things as the last three, but only the first three will be looked at and you’ll be marked accordingly. :wink: I’ll also guarantee that you won’t score more marks if you write 10 things, because in the example I gave, the clue is that there are three marks available.
So the trick is to think of the seven things, but only write the BEST three.

My best tip for you is that you read the questions very carefully, whilst not looking into or deciding what you “think” they mean. Please take them at face value. The questions don’t need translating, and they don’t need anything irrelevant as part of the answer.

I’ve never marked the CPC exams, but I have invigilated them in the past.
You wouldn’t believe the number of times I’ve seen candidates doing the things I’ve mentioned above.
For those prepared to access the OCR website in the sticky at the top of this forum, you’ll see that the OCR’s Chief Examiner’s reports bear out my comments.

Another tip for you is to read the all of questions (carefully) and only then start writing. Many candidates find it best to work their way through the paper answering the easy questions first, then going back later to the ones that they can’t answer immediately. This tactic saves you from answering question 1, then wasting half an hour trying to work out the answer to question 2, then running out of time to do the rest.

Given that there’s a minimum pass mark, it might be that if you’re happy that you got the rest of the questions correct, you don’t actually need the answer to question 2. That saves you from worrying over nothing and wasting those precious grey cells. :wink:

Another area where candidates lose bucketfuls of marks is the spare paper for working out the answers. it is INSUFFICIENT to do doodles and scribblings to work out the answer, you need to SHOW the working. The marker isn’t going to have time to work out which doodles relate to which question, so please take 2 seconds to write which question number your workings out relate to. Although there’s no need, many candidates tear out the spare paper then FAIL TO WRITE THEIR NAME ON IT. :open_mouth:
How is the marker supposed to know whose paper they’re marking??
Candidates who don’t take any notice of this are simply throwing marks away for the daftest of reasons. :frowning:

Just to show you that I’m not making this up, here is the CHIEF EXAMINER’S REPORT FOR THE DEC 2007 CASE STUDY :open_mouth:
Please read it, it’s for your benefit and it’s very helpful. :wink:
:open_mouth: It lets you know what they’re looking for, and how / why people lose or gain precious marks.
Horses and water come to mind here guys. :wink:

Good luck to you all, but for your own benefit please RTFQ.:grimacing:

repton:
There will possibly also be a question about bringing your maintenance in house, similar perhaps to the one that was in the December exam, so I would presume that knowing a list of facilities/equipment you would need to service vehicles to VOSA requirements would be a good idea.

Either I’m being a bit thick or there isn’t anything about this in the (admittedly quite old) study manual I have. Can anyone give me a clue?

Ta,
Paul

repton:
Well, less than a week to go, is everyone bricking it yet?

Paul

Yes, quite a bit stressed here. :open_mouth:
Not massively worried about Units 1 & 2, been going through the 1001 questions book which has been well worth it’s price tag.
Currently trying to get to grips with the Case Study.

I don’t mind exams, I don’t even object to the idea of a resit, but what’s really @*!£ing me off is that I (foolishly now I realise) paid for one of those C & C+E package deals which require you to get your CPC before taking the C+E. It’s the 12 months time limit that’s the problem- if I don’t pass first time, I’ll have to do a resit in June, won’t get those results till Aug and my “deal” expires in Sept… Chances of that resit scenario coming together in time? Not good!

If only I’d discovered this website before parting with my dosh I’d have read the comments about these kind of deals… :cry:

Thank God that’s over! :open_mouth:

I thought you guys might like to know how close to the mark were the predictions
(in no particular order)
1 drivers schedule for day one of contract 1
2 some number crunching re the outlook for the business in the coming year
3 diesel theft and disciplinary action
4 the accident, what to do about it plus it’s potential repercussions
5 Advantages of each options re: in house vs contracted out maintenance
6 why the owner chose curtainsiders, plus advantages of other body types over curtainsiders

#2 obviously was a bit odd as the info was too incomplete to do a proper set of accounts, I just slapped down the figures given into appropriate columns.
#6 was case of winging it trying to think of anything that might possible be pertinent.

As someone who has not yet worked as an LGV driver there were some significant challenges in all three exams which would have been eliminated by daily experience. I’d be very interested to know how many people who sign up for C & C+E package deals, where CPC is mandatory, get through their CPC in sufficient time to claim their “free” course. :confused:

I spoke to another CPC tutor this evening. :wink:
There was also a schedule to work out, particularly how many drivers would be needed to do a job.
Did we all remember when the transport “week” begins and ends :wink:

What did we think of for ways to minimise empty running?

Dr Dubya asked a good question, the answer is there’s not many mate, because that type of firm is gambling that you won’t pass all 3 CPC exams in time to take advantage of your “free” C+E tuition.

I really hope you’ve all passed, but especially Dr Dubya so you get the C+E.:grimacing:

Yeah, did the schedule in question 1, actually did the timings three times as I’d almost missed the fact that the Sterling collection couldn’t begin till 17.00 hours. I confess I didn’t even realise that I could have started the driver on Sunday night/monday morning at 00.00 hours - Doh! :blush: I had him breaking up the return journey with an overnight stay.

I reckoned two drivers could do the route. I also thought for the new contract it was theoretically possible to do that with the one remaining artic as with a 12.00 collection for the second delivery it was only (on paper) 2.5 hours to Manchester. Dunno what the eaxminers would make about that though
:laughing:

I didn’t notice anything about minimising the large amounts of running on empty, did I miss something?

Dr Dubya:
Yeah, did the schedule in question 1, actually did the timings three times as I’d almost missed the fact that the Sterling collection couldn’t begin till 17.00 hours. I confess I didn’t even realise that I could have started the driver on Sunday night/monday morning at 00.00 hours - Doh! :blush: I had him breaking up the return journey with an overnight stay.

You did it right then, in my view.

I had him starting at 0800 Monday, which with 15min daily checks, 4.5h driving, 45min break and anothrer 3.5h of driving gets him to stirling at 1700. Then 1h loading, 1h driving, another 45 and then the final driving hour (to take it to 10h as specified in the question) then 9h off from 2045 to 0545 before doing his 15min daily checks and then driving from 0600-1030, taking a 45 and then driving again for 30min to get him to birmingham at 1145, unloading until 1230 and then half an hour back to the yard takes you to 1300.

I suppose the alternative would be to start at 2300 on sunday night so as to manage to get the 15min checks, 8h of driving and a 45 in by 0800 monday, then take a 9h daily rest at the customer’s, and then load 1700-1800 monday and head straight back south. That would get you back to the yard sooner but the answer they want can’t be that as he only uses 8h of driving in the first day and not the maximum of 10 as the question specified. The only way to use all 10 in the first day is to go all the way there using 8h of driving and 2h of the way back.

I put 3 drivers based on that schedule as each driver can only stretch his hours to 10 twice per week, but also noted that only 2 would be needed if the driving hours were split more evenly between day1 and day2 so as to have each day with 9h or less.

Dr Dubya:
I didn’t notice anything about minimising the large amounts of running on empty, did I miss something?

Can’t say I saw anything about that either. Perhaps it was in the international?

Paul

dieseldave:
There was also a schedule to work out, particularly how many drivers would be needed to do a job.

I may well be missing something obvious but I don’t see the relevance of that to the question they asked? The first run of the week based on what they asked wouldn’t have you starting your shift until 0800 monday and the friday collection would be be delivered and the driver clocked off by early afternoon saturday so no runs would be straddling over between one week and another.

Paul

repton:

dieseldave:

I may well be missing something obvious but I don’t see the relevance of that to the question they asked? The first run of the week based on what they asked wouldn’t have you starting your shift until 0800 monday and the friday collection would be be delivered and the driver clocked off by early afternoon saturday so no runs would be straddling over between one week and another.

Paul

Hi Paul.
:laughing: That’s the trouble with MMTM :grimacing: :wink:
My mate was going from what he could remember, then he told me, then maybe he didn’t remember correctly,
or maybe I misunderstood :blush: … or maybe some/all of the above… :open_mouth:
Sorry if one of us got it wrong, but the die is already cast anyway… :slight_smile:

I didn’t do an invigilation this time, so I didn’t see any papers first-hand. :frowning:

Hi Dubya just to let you know I got one of the deals and actually managed to pass cpc first time and now have my class 1 booked in for April 21st, so here’s one that did it, don’t know of any others though, p.s. good luck on your results

Foxstein:
…I got one of the deals and actually managed to pass cpc first time…

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS Foxstein :smiley: :smiley:

And good luck with the C+E.:grimacing:

Does anyone no when this will be released?

Foxstein:
Hi Dubya just to let you know I got one of the deals and actually managed to pass cpc first time and now have my class 1 booked in for April 21st, so here’s one that did it, don’t know of any others though, p.s. good luck on your results

Hey! that’s good news, both for you and for hopefuls like me, well done mate

tlc, do you mean when are the results out? Apparently they attempt to get the results out to candidates by eight weeks: one down seven to go…

No I would like to know when we will see the case study for June 2008, that,s when I resit my exam.

tlc:
No I would like to know when we will see the case study for June 2008, that,s when I resit my exam.

Hi tlc The case-study scenario is usually released a couple of weeks before the exam.
You’ll be able to download it from the OCR website mentioned in the CPC sticky at the top of this forum.

Ok Thank you.