Many dead as lorry hits crowd in Nice

This isn’t good news, not exactly positive for our image…

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36800730

A lorry has struck a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city of Nice, killing about 60 people, officials are quoted as saying by local media. The incident took place on the famous Promenade des Anglais during a firework display.

A very sad incident by the look of it! :cry:

Tragic, what is this world coming to …

Rip to all caught up in it.

It looks more like an attack than driver drunk or falling asleep. I’m not sure if that a good thing or not.

How long before it happens again with a load of fertilizer on the back as well :frowning:

They are thinking this was a terrorist attack the lorry was loaded apparently with grenades and the police shot the driver dead Horrendous night for Nice. They are saying 73 dead god bless them all and their families.

The windscreen is full of bullet holes, so it doesn’t look like the driver was planning on stopping! :imp:

My dad had terrorist training 10 years ago and we laughed about it being an impossible senario, but these radical ■■■■ heads aren’t right.

Do you think that when merkel opened the door to europe for the refugees that people like this came in with him with no checks whatsoever. I think it is only a matter of time before they hit the UK sorry to have to say that. So we must really protect our borders from tonight. These people are fanatics

You know Volvo that his will now turn into an 8 page diatribe from Carryfast don’t you??

RIP, what I don’t understand is why they are attacking France. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful it’s not here, just unsure why France keeps getting hit.

bazza123:
You know Volvo that his will now turn into an 8 page diatribe from Carryfast don’t you??

RIP, what I don’t understand is why they are attacking France. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful it’s not here, just unsure why France keeps getting hit.

Jaysus Bazza I hope carryfast shows a bit of respect for the dead and keeps his fingers well away from the keyboard.

bazza123:

I think that France gets targeted for a few reasons;

They have one of if not the highest number of Muslims in Europe. Makes it easy for the bad guys to hide.
France is quite segregated in that a lot of the Muslim’s live in “slums” out of Paris rather than in town so they say they are being picked on.
France recently passed a law banning the burka in public, but they again say they are being picked on.
France is reasonably active in NATO and attacking ISIS, at least to European standards.

I am also sure that they would like to attack us. We are lucky to have 20 miles of ocean between us to slow them down. However I think it is just a matter of time. Either terrorists getting in or “homegrown” terrorists doing it for them.

All very well saying there is 20 miles of water separating them from us, but there wasn’t any water at all that stopped the London attacks apart from the Thames, and maybe or more than likely already here and waiting …

raymundo:
All very well saying there is 20 miles of water separating them from us, but there wasn’t any water at all that stopped the London attacks apart from the Thames, and maybe or more than likely already here and waiting …

I said slow them down, not stop. They may well be here. I think we are more at risk from the “homegrown” threat.

Just out of interest does anyone know what passport checks there are if you left mainland Europe to the republic of Ireland? I know there is nothing between the Republic and the North. Is there there anything between Northern Ireland and the mainland UK?

It would be the long way round but probably a better option than Dover or the tunnel?

kcrussell25:

raymundo:

I said slow them down, not stop. They may well be here. I think we are more at risk from the “homegrown” threat.

Just out of interest does anyone know what passport checks there are if you left mainland Europe to the republic of Ireland? I know there is nothing between the Republic and the North. Is there there anything between Northern Ireland and the mainland UK?

It would be the long way round but probably a better option than Dover or the tunnel?

The ROI do passport checks even on Eu citizens but these are random and as for between the north of Ireland and the mainland there are no checks whatsoever. If anyone from the republic comes north to catch the boat to Liverpool Cairnryan etc there are no passport checks at all. I travel frequently on the cairnryan boat and see all sorts with Irish reg cars and they are not all Irish easy way for people to get to the mainland through Ireland. There are no checks made at all from the north. The cars are searched that’s all and just by stena employees not the police

kcrussell25:

raymundo:

I said slow them down, not stop. They may well be here. I think we are more at risk from the “homegrown” threat. {end quote}

Oh well that’s ok then, we’ll have an attack next Wednesday instead of next Tuesday, great help !! :unamused:

volvo2:

kcrussell25:

raymundo:

The ROI do passport checks even on Eu citizens but these are random and as for between the north of Ireland and the mainland there are no checks whatsoever. If anyone from the republic comes north to catch the boat to Liverpool Cairnryan etc there are no passport checks at all. I travel frequently on the cairnryan boat and see all sorts with Irish reg cars and they are not all Irish easy way for people to get to the mainland through Ireland. There are no checks made at all from the north. The cars are searched that’s all and just by stena employees not the police

So our best hope is a random check and a ferry employee who quite possibly doesn’t care? If that is our secure borders they will soon be here if not already.

RIP to all those killed tonight. I would like to say you will be the last but I doubt you will be

raymundo:

kcrussell25:

raymundo:

I said slow them down, not stop. They may well be here. I think we are more at risk from the “homegrown” threat. {end quote}

Oh well that’s ok then, we’ll have an attack next Wednesday instead of next Tuesday, great help !! :unamused:

All we can do is slow them down. Maybe delay a day, a week, a month or maybe not at all. For what its worth my opinion is that is we were on the mainland we would have been attacked already.

Right about now you ask is Trump so wrong? Middle Eastern airlines use passenger profiling and have very few problems. I think we need to do something. Terrorists only have to be lucky once we have to be lucky everytime- paraphrased Bin Larden

I forgot to say there is no checks made on anyone crossing the border between the republic and the north since we got this so called peace here Anyone can come from the free state to the north and then on to the UK even if they are not from the EU.

We do need to do something, we need to encourage the Muslim community to come out on mass and condemn these sort of acts. OK it’s not yet been confirmed that it’s ISIS, but it’s quite probable! So far we really only see lip service or sound bites from Muslim leaders that they find these sorts of acts in the name of their religion disgraceful.

raymundo:

kcrussell25:

raymundo:

Have you spotted that the truck is RHD, it may well have come from here! :open_mouth:
Unlikely I know, but possible…

Edit: My apologies, it was being reported as RHD on the news at the time! :blush:

Waking up to some messed up news this morning. These images are really uncomfortable to look at, 80 dead this is totally disgusting.

My prayers are with them all.