manual sheet

Hi, looking for a bit of advice im using a fruehauf trailer next week with a manual sheet. The front and rear ratchet straps I assume roll up with the sheet, but what about the long one in the middle? Thanks in advance.

The long one in the middle is usually a rope and you don’t want that rolled right up into the sheet as you need that to pull the sheet back over. It will roll part way into the sheet, then just toss it over the other side when loading so it doesn’t get pushed into the body when loading and throw it back over when you’re ready to roll the sheet back over.

Thanks pleased you said to throw it over as wasn’t sure if I tied it back on once rolled open it wouldn’t drop into the load.

I’ve rarely throw the rope over when loading and as long as when the sheet is rolled up the rope sits over the centre bar or at least crosses it you won’t have a problem with it. It all depends what your loading like when we load dust out the bins at cliffe hill as it comes out that fast i’ve never risked it with the rope left over as it comes out so fast.

I found it better to always chuck it over, that way it became a habit. There are lots of situations where it’s better, loading dusty stuff when the roads have been wet and soaked the rope, anything coming out fast like johnboy mentions or something snotty you don’t want to be touching even with gloves on.

Thanks for all the advice. The only bit that worries me is throwing back over when loaded and it not making it over lol

matsgsi:
Thanks for all the advice. The only bit that worries me is throwing back over when loaded and it not making it over lol

Ha ha,
build up your throwing arm muscles by lifting a few pints.

matsgsi:

Always keep hold of a loop with your non throwing hand, that way if it doesn’t make it all the way over you can still pull it back. Learnt that the hard way!

We used to tie a wheel nut on the end, a little bit of weight helps a lot.

I use to roll the sheet up before tipping.
Then jump on top and throw the rope and straps over if there tangled before tipping.

If you don’t throw the rope over other side when empty you will end up digging the rope out which is a pain in the hoop.
Also make sure your sheet is nice and tight before loading or you will need to dig it out which is another pain in the hoop.

newmercman:
We used to tie a wheel nut on the end, a little bit of weight helps a lot.

I used an old rubber bush on mine

Probably better for the health and safety fools to use a rubber bush than a wheel nut, but I have a rebellious streak [emoji38]

Is he Juan Sheet’s brother? :smiley:

The rubber bush was as hard as your steel nut sp would have maimed whoever it hit lol