Manual gearboxes

When I pass my test I would prefer to drive tippers. Looking in CM most are manuals would an employer train you on the gearbox or expect you to know? Asking as likely to train with a school using autos.

You are correct in thinking that many tippers are manual. Your prospective employer should understand that, since the rules changed nearly 6 years ago, the vast majority of driver training happens with autos. That being the case, to me it’s logical that they should expect to carry out some familiarisation training. Any good employer would expect to provide some level of training - especially to a newbie.

You can help yourself a bit. Get to know the type of gearbox you are likely to be using and then remember that Google is your friend. None of it is rocket science. And, even if you were to train on a manual, there’s a very good chance that you’ll be faced with something completely different when you go to work.

All the best with your training and test, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

NobbyC:
When I pass my test I would prefer to drive tippers. Looking in CM most are manuals would an employer train you on the gearbox or expect you to know? Asking as likely to train with a school using autos.

ask your new Company to send a driver with you for a day,to train you up on tipping,and at the same time the manual gearbox. many moons ago,after a few years of driving mainly Daf’s,Volvo’s etc.,my dad got me a job with him on the tippers…the Gaffer sent me out with dad to train me up on the job.we had Leyland Bison and Octupus and i played quite a few tunes on the gearbox on the first day :blush: :laughing:

If I was you id go to my local tipper company tell them you’re a virgin and ask if you can ride along for no wages for a couple of weeks with their best driver. Do not expect a job from them but maybe you can use your new knowledge to fake it with another tipper company. Tippers is no place for virgins, 32 tonne cyclist killing machines or even dozzy banksman killers

Tippers . Loads that stick in front of body throwing the truck over when you tip potentially killing you. Very tight construction sites that make you have to shunt like a …. eg reversing through scaffolding with a few centimeters to spare.

Ground giving way. Diff locks knowing how to drive through mud. Wheel spinning equipment. Wheel washes. Power lines. No wheel guards to keep cyclists out the back axles. A high front bumper designed to de capitate motorists. Weighbridges to rush through. Shoot loading screed.

Designed for off road so if you rear shunt a car you drive over the car rather pushing it out the way.
Most cyclists are killed by tippers and concrete mixers.
Many tippers are badly maintained by rouge operators so you need to know when to defect and walk away.

Loading shovel drivers who will not tolerate newbies. The list goes on.

Plenty of European drivers with tipper experience from driving in their armies where they got their driving licences and plenty of ex uk forces with the same off road hgv experience.

8 speed plus crawler gear tippers out number automatic gearbox tippers . Probably 10 to 1 . With Scania manual gearbox lorries being the most common.

I’m on tippers, and all of the fleet are autos, as manuals are more expensive to buy now. It’s a steep learning curve with the off road stuff for the first month, but it soon becomes second nature. P1ss easy job as long as you Use common sense and keep your wits about you. Go for it as long as you don’t mind being covered in ■■■■ and earning ■■■■ money. The trade off is being home every night. A lot of the work can be very repetitive