Manual entry question

Hi all, just a quick question for you. I’m sure I know the answer but just want to double check to make sure.

I’ve been driving hgv for several years now and it was only today that i have had to drive on a digi card then analogue then back to digi.

My question is… Lets say I worked and drove from 2pm till 6pm on digi then swapped to an analogue lorry from 6pm till 8pm then went back to the digi unit at 8pm… Do i need to write a manual entry on the back of the taco to show that i have driven before and after my time in the analogue unit even though its recorded on my card?

It says this on the drivers hours and taco rules…

It is possible that a driver may during the course of a day drive two or more vehicles where both types of recording equipment are used. Drivers in such a situation must use a driver card to record while driving a vehicle with a digital tachograph and tachograph charts when driving a vehicle equipped with an
analogue device. Time away from the vehicle may be recorded on either recording equipment, but there
is no need to record it on both.

To me this says no as it has been recorded so no need to make manual entry’s on either. As I said, its probably a silly and obvious answer question but its just something I wanted to make sure about.

Many thanks in advance

I would make a note on the analogue chart and keep it with a printout from the digi unit. If you could make a manual entry on the digi card to show driving time then I’d only use the digi. Why this is not an option on the digi tacho’s I don’t know but it would help in situations like yours.

Make sure you have no gaps in between driving these vehicles in other words make sure you show what you’ve been doing as any gaps which don’t show anything are an infringement.

The bit in bold says it all

As Rog says, you’ve answered your own question.

A digi card is just another way of storing analogue information, let’s say you’d used 2 cards in a day - yes I know you can use 1 card in more than 1 vehicle, so you’ve used 5 vehicles… - would you do anything to the 1st card or just store the 2 together?

So, as long as you carry the analogue chart - and in your own way keep track of your actual hours that day instead of relying on the digi to tell you to take a break - you don’t need to do anything else.
It’s recorded, why would you want to record it twice?

waynedl:
As Rog says, you’ve answered your own question.

A digi card is just another way of storing analogue information, let’s say you’d used 2 cards in a day - yes I know you can use 1 card in more than 1 vehicle, so you’ve used 5 vehicles… - would you do anything to the 1st card or just store the 2 together?

So, as long as you carry the analogue chart - and in your own way keep track of your actual hours that day instead of relying on the digi to tell you to take a break - you don’t need to do anything else.
It’s recorded, why would you want to record it twice?

My reason for thinking i may have to make a manual entry is for instance… If i started in an analogue lorry then transferred to a digi one and then went back to the analogue 4 hours later, i’m going to have a 4 hour unexplained gap on the analogue chart but a 4 hour recording of duties on the digi card. So when the chart goes in to be checked they’re obviously going to ask what i had been doing in that time, unless i staple a printout from the digi to the chart. But would stapling a printing to the chart to explain a 4 hour gap be acceptable.

The bit in bold only really says what to do when accounting for the time between swapping vehicles as in you only need to enter it on either analogue or digi and not both so doesn’t really say much to help with what I’m asking.

So, what would you guys recommend i do in the situation above?

marshy1982:
My reason for thinking i may have to make a manual entry is for instance… If i started in an analogue lorry then transferred to a digi one and then went back to the analogue 4 hours later, i’m going to have a 4 hour unexplained gap on the analogue chart but a 4 hour recording of duties on the digi card. So when the chart goes in to be checked they’re obviously going to ask what i had been doing in that time, unless i staple a printout from the digi to the chart. But would stapling a printing to the chart to explain a 4 hour gap be acceptable.

The bit in bold only really says what to do when accounting for the time between swapping vehicles as in you only need to enter it on either analogue or digi and not both so doesn’t really say much to help with what I’m asking.

The bit in bold mentions records for all of the shift not just for the bits between vehicles

It says to use the appropriate recording method for each type

You could do a shift like this
1 hour digi
1 hour analogue
now repeat for the next 10 hours

If you ran out of space because each of the analogues was a different vehicle then use more analogue charts

You get stopped for a vosa 28 day check = produce both digi and analogue records - its up to vosa to piece them together - as long as there are no gaps in the records then all is ok

Anything outside of 28 days will require vosa to come to the operator(s) and get the records

ROG:

marshy1982:

The bit in bold mentions records for all of the shift not just for the bits between vehicles

It says to use the appropriate recording method for each type

You could do a shift like this
1 hour digi
1 hour analogue
now repeat for the next 10 hours

If you ran out of space because each of the analogues was a different vehicle then use more analogue charts

You get stopped for a vosa 28 day check = produce both digi and analogue records - its up to vosa to piece them together - as long as there are no gaps in the records then all is ok

Anything outside of 28 days will require vosa to come to the operator(s) and get the records

Yea that’s what i was thinking, as long as everything is recorded then no need to record it again.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

marshy1982:
My question is… Lets say I worked and drove from 2pm till 6pm on digi then swapped to an analogue lorry from 6pm till 8pm then went back to the digi unit at 8pm… Do i need to write a manual entry on the back of the taco to show that i have driven before and after my time in the analogue unit even though its recorded on my card?

In this scenario I would just complete the chart as usual and move back onto the digital tachograph, no reason to write anything on the chart.

marshy1982:

In this scenario I wouldn’t do any printouts but I would write a very brief explanation on the back of the chart.

For instance if the missing 4 hours on the chart was from 12:00 to 16:00 I would simply write something like: “12:00-16:00 digi tacho (reg number)”.

As has been said there’s no legal reason to write anything, but it will help you to remember why there’s a 4 hour gap (if you ever need to remember), and it will save anyone checking your records from having to query the missing time on the chart, it’s just for your convenience and the convenience of anyone having to check your records really.

Write an explanation on the back of the chart if you want to, but under no circumstances should you do a proper manual entry on the chart to cover driving time ec’t that’s recorded on the driver card.