Manual Entry Problem

Today I had to take a lorry back to the rental company which is only 15 mins away.
When I inserted my card I thought I`d try a manual entry.
The last time I drove was on the Sun 11th, 5 days ago.
All I wanted to do is a manual entry from when I last finished my shift on the 11th and then when I started my shift today. Missing out the days in between as I log them in a book. Is this possible?

As I think I messed up doing it so, I made a printout and wrote on the back saying it was my 1st attempt at a manual entry and I have messed up. Will this be acceptable if Vosa stopped me?

I don’t think I`ll be doing a manual entry again, but I’m keen to learn. Maybe too keen.

You can’t miss out any time on a manual entry. It has to record an an activity for all time between last removing the card and putting it back in.
If all that time was rest you should record it as rest, if but was other activities which you have paper records for you should record it as the question mark on the manual entry.

All the other work was my normal day shift in the yard 8am-4.30pm so I’m sure I have messed up.
Thanks for confirming that the manual entry is all of the days since the card was last ejected. I won’t be attempting that again as I only drive once a week and I record all other work in a tacho book.

ICharger:
All the other work was my normal day shift in the yard 8am-4.30pm so I’m sure I have messed up.
Thanks for confirming that the manual entry is all of the days since the card was last ejected. I won’t be attempting that again as I only drive once a week and I record all other work in a tacho book.

Technically you need to check that the time since the card was last ejected is recorded with the ? symbol, to record the time as rest would be illegally recording rest when you was working.

As long as you never tried to hide the fact that you’d been working I imagine you’d have to get stopped by a fairly ■■■■ enforcement officer to get into trouble for it, but technically it would be an offence to record the time with any symbol other than the ? symbol.

ICharger:
I don’t think I`ll be doing a manual entry again, but I’m keen to learn. Maybe too keen.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to learn how to do the job right mate, even if you don’t always do manual entries it’s worth learning for the times you need to :wink:

I don’t know what make/model digital tachograph you use but here’s a video of inserting manual entries in a VDO 1.4.

As tacho said,
Your driving as a professional learn to do what’s required
You wouldn’t expect someone with just a Red Cross 1st aid badge to preform open heart surgery would you .