Manual entry needed?

Hi Folks just joined the forum so Hello to all :smiley:
The site has been extremely helpful so far.

Anyway just come back into driving and trying to get my head around manual entrys/digi tacho’s in general :exclamation:

Here the question i need help with:

This sat I did a 8hr shift which was basically as a spare driver or flex shift, so i sit in the canteen watching the footy and generally enjoying being paid for doing nothing at all. (didn’t even get a unit)

When I start my shift tomorrow I take it i have to do a manual entry for the whole of the 8hr sat shift and record it on cross hammers, do I need to include any breaks in that? I know I didn’t drive but you still have to have breaks don’t you?

I am the only newish driver relising theres a lot more to this driving malarkey than meets the eye :open_mouth:

Cheers

Yes just show a half hour break in there somewhere, personally myself I would show it the middle of the shift.

probably too late now but if you was sat in the canteen all the shift you could book it as break rather than other work if you want to, it will help to keep your working time down if you need/want to.

If you want to do a manual entry record 5 minutes other work at the start of the shift for when you was booking on and 5 minutes other work at the end of the shift for when you was booking off, record the rest as break.

You was sat in the canteen doing nothing so break is perfectly legal.

I’ve done a couple of shifts like that and to be honest I’ve not bothered to record anything on my card, but legally you are supposed to :wink:

tachograph:
If you was sat in the canteen all the shift you can book it as break rather than other work if you want to, it will help to keep your working time down if you need/want to.

I wonder, in fact if your sitting in the Canteen, and during the whole period, never did any actual work,
with the exception of registering your arrival & departure ( which count as " Other Work " )

While there (in Canteen), Asuming someone notified you how long that might be when you arrived,
and occasionally reinforced it by suggesting " We might have something for you this afternoon etc "

Would not the whole time spent waiting qualify as a POA ? ( i.e Period Of Availability )

Or am I completely wrong about this ?

de Jon (still learning)

DoubleQ:

tachograph:
If you was sat in the canteen all the shift you can book it as break rather than other work if you want to, it will help to keep your working time down if you need/want to.

I wonder, in fact if your sitting in the Canteen, and during the whole period, never did any actual work,
with the exception of registering your arrival & departure ( which count as " Other Work " )

While there (in Canteen), Asuming someone notified you how long that might be when you arrived,
and occasionally reinforced it by suggesting " We might have something for you this afternoon etc "

Would not the whole time spent waiting qualify as a POA ? ( i.e Period Of Availability )

Or am I completely wrong about this ?

de Jon (still learning)

You could record it as POA if you wanted.

Thanks tachograph

reason I suggest it, is a simular thing happened to me one morning.

Everyone knows what it like in Haulage: i.e
Trying to keep the " Working Time Directive " Hours in check etc :wink:

Any way:

I came in later than usual one morning following being selected for a special job/collection
you know the type, Its a bit of a one off, usual work isnt available that day,
Boss has rang around and scrathed you up a load to fill the gap !.

So on that morning, into the office I go:
Boss gives me details of were the load is located, and wrough ideal of were its going, etc.
A few minutes later I trundle out to the wagon, throw in my kit bag & lunch box etc.
Put the Tacho in, Book 10minutes “Other Work” for the time spent in the office !,Check over the wagon etc.

Five / Fifteen minutes later, Im rolling toward the gate, then just as Im about to drive out onto the highway,
I spot the Boss in my rear view mirror waving his arms. ( sh*t I think, better stop, Ive forgot something )…

Boss wanders up to my door, and says:
" Better put the wagon back in the yard, They Just rang, Load cancelled "…

" But no panik, I watch you back, then come & had a cupper
while I ring around & find you something else " …

Now, to me, Im now on a PoA ( Period of Availability ), I lock up the cab,
& leave my Tacho in the wagon recording it. Keys in my pocket, off I go to locate that promissed " Cuppa "

Many hours pass, Many Cuppa’s comsumed, along with biscuits, plus the necessary visits to the toilet :unamused:

Boss visits every once in a while, offering more “cuppa”'s, maybe a bacon butty. ( you enquire about work )

Then finaly the Boss comes in, and says:
" looks like nothin’s happening, you might as well go home "
" I book you 8 hours youve done" "see you tomorrow at usual start time".

So, back out to the wagon I trundle, put the tacho on “Other Work”
sit there 5 minutes, then book off ( remove tacho, Kit Bag etc. )

=========================
How effective, I just came in and recorded 25 minutes’ish of “Other Work”
with about 2minutes of driving and 5+ hours of POA
( i.e 5hours of time which doesnt count toward my " Working Time Directive " total Hours ).

Why my reasoning for recording this on the Tacho:
Well have you ever tried to convince your friendly VOSA inspector, why you have gaps in your records.
He/She can quickly build up a picture of your usual working/driving pattern from whats recorded.
If there’s a sudden change in the pattern, it will be glaringly ovious, like a Bright Light in the dark.
ok, you can fill it the missing entry afterward the following day, but what if you forget (my reasoning)

Ok, maybe leaving the Tacho Incerted, is a bad practice, god forbid,
you forget its there & someone else moves your truck
( ah I have the Keys, Ok there are spares, slight risk they will use them
if so, werse that can happen is, it will record a few minues of " Driving " in a MASSIVE PoA
& if its a DigiTacho, following the “driving” it will record “Other Work”).

Ok, you could forget to remove the tacho/driver card when you go home:
Ah, I dont know about you, But I miss my kit bag pretty quick ( were like kin !)… :bulb:

===
Thats what works for me, others may have better solutions.

Best regard: De Jon ( still learning )