Manual entry and agency pay

hi how does it work with agencies when you do a manual entry the next time you drive but are driving for a different client? i.e you add 15 mins for paperwork and downloading digi card for Co. A but add this when starting a shift for Co.B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure what you want from this, if you are paid by what’s on your tacho then you don’t take it out until you’ve finished the paper work and handed it in and have used the toilet, had a hand wash, changed gear and stowed it in your car, so just a matter of a couple of minutes to get your card, download it, get your invoice signed before getting in your car and clearing off.

If not by tacho then no need to do a manual to cover the time spent handing in paperwork, keys and getting your invoice signed for your finish time. Nobody cares.

Cheers not sure how it all works as i am a newbie and clocking off timings and routine but that info is great! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwin catflap:
Cheers not sure how it all works as i am a newbie and clocking off timings and routine but that info is great! Cheers

NO it’s not great info at-all, to tell a new driver that you don’t need to do manual entries because nobody cares is nonsense that could leave both you and your company in trouble with the DVSA.

It’s true that plenty of drivers don’t bother with manual entries, but if you was to tell a DVSA bod at a road side check that you don’t bother to record all your work you can expect to have some very awkward questions to answer, then you may find that the DVSA care enough to issue a fixed penalty or worse.

It’s up to you to decide whether or not you do manual entries but don’t believe that nobody cares.

Sent from my mobile.

thanks tacho, how does it work with agencies then? if it takes 10 mins from taking my card out to leaving how do i get paid for that? i know i can make entries to reflect my actual time to satisfy dvsa, but do i get paid?

edwin catflap:
thanks tacho, how does it work with agencies then? if it takes 10 mins from taking my card out to leaving how do i get paid for that? i know i can make entries to reflect my actual time to satisfy dvsa, but do i get paid?

I’ve only ever worked for agencies that paid off a timesheet so I’ve no personal experience of being paid off the card.

The way I see it you can make sure taking the card out is the last thing you do, which may not always be practical, or check with your agency that they will pay to the end of the shift as shown by a manual entry.

Sent from my mobile.

I’ve been paid from tacho before, company I worked for was good with it too. Go about your day as normal, breaks, POA etc, end of the shift they always liked us to show 15 minutes other work, there or thereabouts, so if I finished at 14:32, manual entry would be made up to 14:45 of other work, that shows me as debriefing etc at the end of every shift.

As has been stated getting in the habit of doing manual entries is a good thing. Don’t let it bother you to much as depending on the type of tachograph it can be quite simple to a bit of a ballache.
For me I’ve only come across simple tachos to use.

Once you’ve done a couple it becomes simple, like everything learning by immersion rather than classroom is much better.

If it helps make a note of your previous finish time on your phone or a little peice of paper. Your Tacho card should ideally match your time sheet.

If you should balls it up, or balls anything Tacho related up just do a printout and write on it what’s happened.

Your not alone almost every new driver in history has had a ■■■■ up in their time.

Best of luck, if in doubt just ask on here.

edwin catflap:

You put it on your timesheet. I doubt there will be a single agency who wouldn’t pay you. You’re fretting about nothing.

tachograph:

edwin catflap:

NO it’s not great info at-all, to tell a new driver that you don’t need to do manual entries because nobody cares is nonsense that could leave both you and your company in trouble with the DVSA.

It’s true that plenty of drivers don’t bother with manual entries, but if you was to tell a DVSA bod at a road side check that you don’t bother to record all your work you can expect to have some very awkward questions to answer, then you may find that the DVSA care enough to issue a fixed penalty or worse.

It’s up to you to decide whether or not you do manual entries but don’t believe that nobody cares.

Sent from my mobile.

My answer was given in relation for getting paid for the hours that you’re claiming, there are a number of scenarios when both agency or employed will be paid for hours that they’re not actually working, such as being sent home before reaching your daily minimum, if you’re allowed to go at 3pm and still being paid until 5pm then you don’t manually enter a 5pm finish next time you’re in something with a digital tacho and there is no purposed served by entering a 5 past 3 finish either. On the other hand if you’re at one of those firms that make you stay until 5pm precisely then the card should stay in whilst you wait, have your paperwork and debrief done, then eject it at 5pm, hand in keys, download the card and clear off, you’ve given them 2 or 3 minutes for free. If DVSA stop you and ask what time you finished then the answer always matches the time you took your card out regardless of what time you’re being paid until.

I didn’t say don’t bother making manual entries, if the situation requires it then of course you do, but for the most part leaving your card in the vehicle until you’re ready to leave work removes any possibility of making incorrect entries that result in infringements being recorded that are sitting there for DVSA to hit you with. The only real need for a manual will normally be at the start of the day if you’re not in a position to pop your card in for your start time.

My current firm want at least 15 minutes work shown at the end of the day for an extra walk around check, infringements have shot up due to manual entries following warnings of disciplinaries for those not showing that minimum of 15 minutes. Guess they’re still not doing their checks.

Stick 15 minutes “lead in” and 15 minutes “lead out”, making sure you get paid for all booked hours, not just those hours for which the card was inserted.