Manual entries

Yeah I know another post on manual entries, guess the rules are clear as mud :unamused:

I work 24 hours (over 3 day period) part time in my other non driving related job.
I’m going to use manual entries to account for my time in the week when I get in the cab on Sat morning, may as well learn now rather than trying to wing it.

Question is - can I enter Mon - Wed as a block , ie 8.00am monday 3/10/22 to 4.30pm Wednesday 5/10/22 using the (?) symbol, then add weekly rest on thursday -fri.

Or do I have to enter each individual day :- mon 3/10/22 8am-12am (cross hammers)12am-12.30pm (rest) 12.30-4.30 (cross hammers) then add daily rest, then the next 2 days and then weekly rest.

Thanks everyone :smiley: :smiley:

EaGledrives:
Yeah I know another post on manual entries, guess the rules are clear as mud :unamused:

I work 24 hours (over 3 day period) part time in my other non driving related job.
I’m going to use manual entries to account for my time in the week when I get in the cab on Sat morning, may as well learn now rather than trying to wing it.

Question is - can I enter Mon - Wed as a block , ie 8.00am monday 3/10/22 to 4.30pm Wednesday 5/10/22 using the (?) symbol, then add weekly rest on thursday -fri.

No!
For one thing, there is no possible way of selecting the “?”. That is the default if you don’t do a manual entry. (If you used [emoji3537] you’ll get a ton of WTD and Drivers hrs infringements on your card).

Or do I have to enter each individual day :- mon 3/10/22 8am-12am (cross hammers)12am-12.30pm (rest) 12.30-4.30 (cross hammers) then add daily rest, then the next 2 days and then weekly rest.

yes, that sounds perfect.

Welcome [emoji2]

For one thing, there is no possible way of selecting the “?”. That is the default if you don’t do a manual entry.

That is not the case for every tacho I have used. For the first few months of manual entries I used the ? option to account for time between HGV hours.

This is the way to do it :smiley:

Thanks guys, much appreciated :smiley:

EaGledrives:

To be honest I don’t see any good reason to do that, it’s legal to record the none driving days on printouts or charts so why complicate things by inputting the data into the tachograph :confused:

Putting everything into the tachograph is going to be time consuming and there’s a chance of making mistakes in which case you could end up with infringements, if you make mistakes on the manual entries you will end up explaining them on printouts anyway :slight_smile:

As a new driver you need to be concentrating on the driving side of the job not worrying about putting unnecessary manual entries into the tachograph.

stu675:
No!
For one thing, there is no possible way of selecting the “?”. That is the default if you don’t do a manual entry. (If you used [emoji3537] you’ll get a ton of WTD and Drivers hrs infringements on your card).

Complete and utter rubbish. You can select ? for manual entries as it is unknown time.

I enter ? Mark for shunting weeks where I have not been in scope as entering 5 days at a time would be time consuming and you are more likely to make a mistake giving yourself infringements. If you drive in scope once at all in any week you do need to do manual entries for any work not in scope.

People will say written records will suffice but it depends what your employer wants you to do, if they insist on manual entries.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

EaGledrives:

You could input the block, but the ? symbol means that you should be carrying a written record for the days anyway, because it is unknown time, the same as not doing a manual entry.

If you do decide to input the individual days, you are correct to put the breaks in because this is what the download software will be looking for as regards road transport working time breaks. I know you probably aren’t working in transport, but you would be better to put the breaks in to avoid it flagging up.

In addition to my blue text above, Tachograph is correct that putting the days in is a bit of a rigmarole and isn’t actually a legal requirement. The important details are your start and finish times so that during a roadside check, you can show that you have had the appropriate daily and weekly rest.

You should update your driving employer of your other work. I would simply hand this in on a piece of paper and they can do as they wish with it. They can update your ? time on the analysis software on a much more user friendly interface than inputting the data on a tachograph unit.

simcor:

stu675:
No!

Complete and utter rubbish. You can select ? for manual entries as it is unknown time.

I enter ? Mark for snybwrrks I have not been in scope as entering 5 days at a time would be time consuming and you are more likely to make a mistake giving yourself infringements. If you drive in scope oncebat all in any week you do need to manual entries for any work not in scope.

People will say written records will suffice but it depends what your employer wants you to do, if they insist on mmaula entries.

Luckily I’ve never done a snybwrrks. [emoji6]

Goff118:

For one thing, there is no possible way of selecting the “?”. That is the default if you don’t do a manual entry.

That is not the case for every tacho I have used. For the first few months of manual entries I used the ? option to account for time between HGV hours.

Thanks mate, I’ve not come across it. [emoji106]

stu675:

Goff118:

I’m reasonably sure you’ll find that every digital tachograph in a HGV in the UK/EU has the ability to use the ? symbol for manual entries.

It’s the symbol used for time that cannot be accounted for, such as if you’ve been using a vehicle with an analogue tachograph or doing work where you don’t use a tachograph.

tachograph:

stu675:

Goff118:

I’m reasonably sure you’ll find that every digital tachograph in a HGV in the UK/EU has the ability to use the ? symbol for manual entries.

It’s the symbol used for time that cannot be accounted for, such as if you’ve been using a vehicle with an analogue tachograph or doing work where you don’t use a tachograph.

Ok, I’ll double check again later.

tachograph:

stu675:

Goff118:

You learn something new everyday [emoji1787]
I’ve obviously never clicked far enough to find it. [emoji106]

Just an update after this weekends shifts.

I’ve done a complete list of my non driving work / rest days on tacho paper to account for my weekly activites, as per the examples on the gov website.
Then i’ve done a quick manual entry for card out to card in using the ? symbol.

As has been said I could have it all on tacho, but very long winded to do a whole week like that.

This should keep me compliant

EaGledrives:

I’ve done a complete list of my non driving work / rest days on tacho paper to account for my weekly activites, as per the examples on the gov website.

As has been said I could have it all on tacho, but very long winded to do a whole week like that.

Do you have a picture of that list on tacho paper you could send me?

I’d be interested in that as well!

Goff118:

EaGledrives:

Do you have a picture of that list on tacho paper you could send me?

Copied and pasted from the Gov website:

How to record on printout paper
These examples show how to manually record details of periods of activity in blocks on the front of printout paper. The driver must record their name or both their driver card number and driving licence number on the back of the paper.

When using analogue record sheets, the driver’s name must be written in the usual place and the blocks of activities can be written anywhere else as long as they are legible.

Example 1: basic example

Week of 4 to 10/7/22

Weekly rest 0235 hrs 4/7/22 to 0920 hrs 7/7/22

Periods of other work 7 to 9/7/22

Weekly rest 1850 hrs 9/7/22 to 0000 hrs 10/7/22

Example 2: daily rest period at end of fixed week immediately prior to EU regulated driving

Week of 8 to 14/8/22

Weekly rest 0415 hrs 7/8/22 to 0920 hrs 9/8/22

Period of other work 9/8/22

Weekly rest period from 1850 hrs 9/8/22 to 1850 hrs 13/8/22

Periods of other work 13 to 14/8/22

Daily rest period 1200 to 2350 hrs 14/8/22

Example 3: weekly rest which straddles fixed weeks

Record 1

Week of 25 to 31/7/22

Weekly rest 1700 hrs 24/7/22 to 1530 hrs 26/7/22

Periods of other work 26 to 31/7/22

Weekly rest 1310 hrs 31/7/22 to 0900 hrs 3/8/22

Record 2

Week of 1 to 7/8/22

Weekly rest 1310 hrs 31/7/22 to 0900 hrs 3/8/22

Periods of other work 3 to 6/8/22

Weekly rest 1855 hrs 6/8/22 to 1030 hrs 8/8/22

Thats understood, I think Gof and myself were after an actual photo of how you’ve written it down, or tracked it on the back using the lines?

TruckingTechnician:
Thats understood, I think Gof and myself were after an actual photo of how you’ve written it down, or tracked it on the back using the lines?

You don’t need to put anything on the back other than your name and driving licence number.
Then I just used the above as template

Ah, so you write it on a separate piece of paper? I was under the impression it all had to be on tacho paper.

stu675:
Luckily I’ve never done a snybwrrks. [emoji6]

I have no idea what happened there, other than sausage fingers on my phone. It certainly does not say what I thought I typed. Edited the post.