Mansfield Roadways Ltd

I worked for meeks in the garage and we used to have them in Kirkby. I went over in their old sherpa to clear the garage out before it got sold.

Found this photo of one of theirs
public.fotki.com/BritishLorryPho … dways.html

I worked on JRR 828V as an apprentice many times. It was driven by an old boy called Norman Hill, Sadly no longer with us. Then it was taken over by a chap called Ivan Elleker, good driver. Good to see a pic of the old girl again.
Thanks for that.

spannertrucker:
I worked on JRR 828V as an apprentice many times. It was driven by an old boy called Norman Hill, Sadly no longer with us. Then it was taken over by a chap called Ivan Elleker, good driver. Good to see a pic of the old girl again.
Thanks for that.

JRR828V I had this in garage that long at Kirkby lads called it JRR Hartley,changed it from a Gardener to ■■■■■■■ 240, ■■■■■■■ came out of a Foden with belt driven PAS so had to change to Aux drive PAS,everyday someone had robbed parts off it,eventually got a t to work. They ran it a week and realised second hand engine was useless, got back in workshop new pistons and liners

Deleted

There is a subbie on for Agribulk with a blue and yellow Scania called Mansfield Roadways.

Hiya …if i,am on the right track did,t mansfield roadways have Aec marshalls?? grey colour with dark blue signwriting.
I think they took away the railway sleeper,s out of leek station when the track was pull up.
John

Deleted

spannertrucker:
Hi John, They may have had AEC’s a long time ago. In the era that I was there, they ran a 50/50 fleet of ERF B series and Foden Haulmaster 8 wheelers and a couple of Scammell Routemans. These were perfect trucks to learn to be a mechanic on as they were engaged on hard work, always loaded to the limit, and sometimes took a lot of mending. Now that I am a driver, my eye is always drawn to ERF and Foden trucks, but now sadly you only see B series and Haulmasters pulling fairground rides and at shows. I went to Cromford steam rally a couple of years ago and saw a very nice ERF B series owned by B.J.Waters. As for the scammells, what animals, what pigs, what brilliant looking trucks. Happy days.

Hiya…I,am ERF man i worked there from 66to71. i know the waters one as i do the shows.the atki of waters my pal and neighbour drove in the 70,s
the smith of leek E 10 erf is also a pal of mine. I,am playing with a AEC at the moment.
Cheers John

Hi John
I’m afraid I don’t get time to play with old trucks as I’m too busy driving newer ones and bringing up my young family. But to me, the trucks of the seventies and early eighties were the best. My dad drove D series Fords for years and a Leyland Mastiff as well. I used to practically live in them during the school hols. I hope to get to some vintage shows as my son get older to see a few A type ERFs, B series, Atki Borderers etc.
I’m the type of bloke that wanders off looking at all the old Gardners thumping away when I take my family to fairgrounds.

as your a Mansfield lad. im a skegby lad can you remember jt clarke transport from forest road.

but more important rjr commercials or russell Ross. he used to rebuild atkinsons from a large garage in omberley ave he had the tennis courts near the fox and crown always had Atkinson’s stored there waiting to be rebuilt and sold he later moved to new houghton and continued for many years. till his untimely death he also ran a used truck sales in volvo’s from the new houghton site.

ring any bells with you ■■?

Sorry mate, none of those firms ring a bell with me. What era are you talking about?

r slicker:
as your a Mansfield lad. im a skegby lad can you remember jt clarke transport from forest road.

but more important rjr commercials or russell Ross. he used to rebuild atkinsons from a large garage in omberley ave he had the tennis courts near the fox and crown always had Atkinson’s stored there waiting to be rebuilt and sold he later moved to new houghton and continued for many years. till his untimely death he also ran a used truck sales in volvo’s from the new houghton site.

ring any bells with you ■■?

Hi slicker.Is the J Clarke the same one that worked out of NCC Ollerton (Rexco) with the Atkis in the 60s and 70s?

no chris. they worked out of metal box in sutton had a right old mix of trucks. leyland lynx’s a couple of bubbles a mastiff unit the son of john clark has is own company now dave clark haulage in bellamy road.

thanks anyway chris.

r slicker:
no chris. they worked out of metal box in sutton had a right old mix of trucks. leyland lynx’s a couple of bubbles a mastiff unit the son of john clark has is own company now dave clark haulage in bellamy road.

thanks anyway chris.

I always remember Mansfield Roadways in a dark blue or black with white writing,maybe I’m wrong.They did have tilt cab AECs as John said,long time ago though.

This is the Clarke I remember,photo courtesy of flatman.

That place at Ollerton disappeared practically overnight.

You’re on the right track with the livery Chris. The Fodens were dark blue with red chassis and red wheels and the ERF’s were the same but the top half of the cab was grey. The colour scheme is etched on my memory as I started there as the Saturday wash lad circa 1984/5. My Mum used to complain at the state of me and my clothes when I got home, but I loved it.

Their yard was on Stanley Road in Mansfield, but it’s houses now. The people that already lived in the existing houses on the street used to complain like mad about the noise and smell. Can’t imagine why!