Mandatory headlights on in EU from 2011

I just found this info on some Polish website.

They want to introduce it in whole EU from 2011…

What do you think?

As for me, I am using them in all cases mentioned in my poll, only when it’s sunny, sun is high and I am easy to be spotted I am turning them off (so in Scotland I am using it most of the time). On the motorway and dual carriage roads I am using them less as there is no oncoming traffic on my carriageway.

I am against forcing people to do anything, but when I see that all people driving without lights (or at parking lights), I would rather choose the lesser evil of mandatory headlights for or the time.

Yesterday I was driving on A69 in the evening and I had to brake sharp as some guy was overtaking me and he did not seen some moron driving with no ligths on…

It’s also one of my pet-hates people who don’t drive on lights when it’s raining - sometime you just have no chance to see them if your mirror is wet…

Its not headlights but day time running lights such as the Us and other European countries have had for years. Good idea IMHO, will get rid of the numpties who dont put their lights on in bad weather/low light etc.

nickyboy:
Its not headlights but day time running lights such as the Us and other European countries have had for years. Good idea IMHO, will get rid of the numpties who dont put their lights on in bad weather/low light etc.

Not all vehicles are fitted with them. I would even say that most aren’t. I had dip-dim lights in my previous car, but now I have only parking lights and then headlights. And if you don’t have your car fitrted with daytime lights, you have to use your headlights on dipped beam. That’s why I put it as “headlights”.

Mine are usually on all the time, but only because i forget to turn them off

IIRC the law only refers to the fitting of them to new cars from that date not use by all cars.

If it stops those who only use parking lights in poor visibility then maybe a good idea.

orys:
It’s also one of my pet-hates people who don’t drive on lights when it’s raining - sometime you just have no chance to see them if your mirror is wet…

Wipers On Lights On

McPloppy ©:

orys:

Wipers On Lights On

I am still waiting to see… something.

I was in layby on A9 not far before Stirling one day. I wanted to join the traffic, I seen in my (wet) mirror that lorry behind me flashes, so I pulled over. The guy in grey land lover almost crashed in me, I saw him when it was too late. He managed to brake, than (from slow speed) he changed the lane (just in front of that lorry which was giving me way, forcing him to brake sharp) than overtook me, cut in front of me and braked sharply. I almost hit him, but I managed to stop (lucky for him, I was empty).

He ran to my cab shouting on me and he said “I will call the police for what you did!”. I gave him my (company) mobile with 112 on it and told "Ok, call them and say tell them ‘lorry driver could not see me as I have no lights on during the heavy shower’ ". It was long time ago, so my English was very basic with strong accent. He called me names and then he told “You Polish people, ONE DAY I WILL SHOW YOU ALL” and off he went. I have no idea what he’s going to show us, and none of my Polish friends ever seen an old bald ■■■■ in great Land Rover showing anything to him… :unamused:

Well I have been checking up on the AA’s website for the do’s and donts for my impending drive to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks time, almost all of the countries require dipped headlights to be used which I have no problem with, however, Romania seems to be the worst country of all Lol

It’s illegal to drive a dirty car :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now I don’t mind wiping the lights but hey, I draw the line at having to wash the car Lol looks like I’ll need a drivers mate Lol

I don’t see a problem with lights being used all the time, having just sold a Volvo I had no option anyway, for some reason it was wired up for dipped headlights all the time instead of side lights.

Davey Driver:
I don’t see a problem with lights being used all the time, having just sold a Volvo I had no option anyway, for some reason it was wired up for dipped headlights all the time instead of side lights.

The only problem I see is that travelling every day on the M6 to work on my motorbike I no longer stand out from the traffic when everyone else is running with headlights on.
As a motorcyclist I see this as a bad move, as a truck driver silver or grey cars in bad light are a hazzard.

Trev_H:

Davey Driver:

The only problem I see is that travelling every day on the M6 to work on my motorbike I no longer stand out from the traffic when everyone else is running with headlights on.
As a motorcyclist I see this as a bad move, as a truck driver silver or grey cars in bad light are a hazzard.

I think it would be a good idea to fit motorbikes with this yellow lights which were so trendy in 70 and 80’ in some countries…

Davey Driver:

Volvo cars dropped the “daylight running lights” in favour of dipped headlights many, many years back.

We’ve just had all our fleet converted, so that the headlights come on when you switch on the ignition. The only problem now is that some of the guys forget to switch their lights on when it is is dark, so no tail lights/side marker lights etc - please help me! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Why not beacons and bells. a man or woman on horse in front with a red flag…what next for gods sake

Headlights should only be on when the conditions say that they are required, ie poor visibilty or low light. Putting you headlights on when they are not needed can detract from the visibility of smaller vehicles eg motorcycles and bicycles that may not be running with lights.

Not only that but how would you feel if you were pulled by VOSA because you had a tail light out, just because you were running in perfect conditions with your lights on.

schrodingers cat:
Putting you headlights on when they are not needed can detract from the visibility of smaller vehicles eg motorcycles and bicycles that may not be running with lights.

If a motorcycle has it’s dipped headlight on but so does everyone else then it is much harder to spot.

I don’t know about you folks but if on a motorway in good conditions where everyone has their lights off but the motorcycle has theirs on then I see the motorcycle first.

How many people here know that the Renault Premium has a setting where you have daylight running lights… :wink:
I found by accident a while back whilst playing around to see what it can/cant do :laughing:

ROG:
If a motorcycle has it’s dipped headlight on but so does everyone else then it is much harder to spot.

I don’t know about you folks but if on a motorway in good conditions where everyone has their lights off but the motorcycle has theirs on then I see the motorcycle first.

Yes Rog correct that was my point, as soon as everybody is forced by this EU law to run with headlights on at all times, going down the M6 to work on my bike I just blend in with the mass of lights and become invisible again.
The only good thing to come out of it will be the ability to see grey and silver cars in rain/fog in the mirrors that seem to prefer running without lights !

DAF95XF:
How many people here know that the Renault Premium has a setting where you have daylight running lights… :wink:
I found by accident a while back whilst playing around to see what it can/cant do :laughing:

Yes i found that aswell… in much the same way as yourself :wink:

I agree with the comments about motorcycles; FWIW many bikes have been running “permanent” dip beam for some years.

On the positive side of things, if dipped headlights are made mandatory the police will no longer have any excuse for ignoring the growing number of “one-eyed Jacks” populating our roads.

Tip; buy shares in lighbulb manufacturers! :wink: