Man

Told I’m getting one ( or fair chance ) , what are they like these days , old ones I found comfortable ,but plastics were a bit flimsy , going back nigh on 10 yrs at a guess for the last one I had , have they improved :question: ta

Not driven one for nearly 3 yrs now but i didn’t like them, big steering wheel, not a good gearbox, mirrors too big but we had 480 engines and they did pull ok. Just not keen on them basically.

oooh , get you …
does it come with a closet or out of one ? :laughing: :laughing:
Last i heard, theyve not changed any much , they still moan, groan and ■■■■ :grimacing:

You’ll enjoy being in a Man…ya Harry hoofter

Drove an automatic 18t MAN. 3rd truck I ever drove. Biggest overhang I’d ever seen, scared me ■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

Big ■■■ steering wheel. Comfy seat. Auto works better than some. Good radio. And this wasn’t a very high specced one (rental, sadly they swapped it again for a Scania, hands down worst thing I’ve ever had the displeasure of driving. Bikes, cars, vans, anything. Absolute worst)

htmldude:
Drove an automatic 18t MAN. 3rd truck I ever drove. Biggest overhang I’d ever seen, scared me [zb] :laughing:

Big ■■■ steering wheel. Comfy seat. Auto works better than some. Good radio. And this wasn’t a very high specced one (rental, sadly they swapped it again for a Scania, hands down worst thing I’ve ever had the displeasure of driving. Bikes, cars, vans, anything. Absolute worst)

Strange as I love scanias , drive so well ,never breakdown ( touch wood ) , but I just can’t put my finger comfort wise what’s up comfort wise with this one I have now , think I’ve got it sorted then next thing I’m struggling , hope if I do get one its comfortable , rest I’ll livevwith

trux:
oooh , get you …
does it come with a closet or out of one ? :laughing: :laughing:
Last i heard, theyve not changed any much , they still moan, groan and ■■■■ :grimacing:

i just new when I pushed the sumit buttons things were going to go well :wink:

merc0447:
You’ll enjoy being in a Man…ya Harry hoofter

As above :wink:

I have seen quite a few Stobie MAN’s on the road in the past few weeks, they are awful. The only good thing is the seat, the rest is rubbish.

The heated seat is excellent, massive mirrors but they get in the way on roundabouts. If you are getting a new one then it’s awesome. Massive inside and the bed isn’t that bad plus since its new you can keep it in good nick. If you are getting a used one then be prepared to find the inside looking like a bombs hit it if the previous owner hasn’t been kind to it. The interior is nice but still flimsy.

Still flimsy, Arsetronic gearbox words fail me, not great engine torque but if you hold the gears in manual on long climbs instead of allowing the poxy box to change up and down willy nilly losing momentum you’ll find it less frustrating, exhaust brake adequate but again needs manual input to make best use of it, poor steering lock and steering lower geared than others, good seats and its comfy.
Mirrors as said are good, but massive wardrobe door size housings cause previous Volvo FM/FH type blind spots, one big failing is the front down mirror is visible through an unswept section of the screen so becomes redundant in seconds in bad weather.
Another failing (unless they’ve sorted this in the latest model) is its very difficult to clean the front screen, or any of the outside windows and mirrors come to that, no grab handles and no fold out step means you’re balancing on the edge of the bumper step trying not to fall off whilst cleaning the windows.
Hope the euro 6 is more reliable than the euro 5.

Not a bad lorry by any means for a paid driver so long as you’re not on piece work.
If anything like mine take some spanners pliers and torx screwdrivers with you for the first few weeks, the cab on mine (presumably self assembly like an MFI Kitchen) gradually fell apart during the first month, keep on eye on the door locks in particular where they screw in to the door frame, they both came loose on mine losing some screws into the bargain, and the main grab handle that bolts in by the pedals came loose as the bolt hadn’t been done up, large torx IIRC.

Wonder what kind of deal they got? I would imagine it could be a smart move to keep Scania and Volvo on their toes.

The gearboxes are crap though. The Scania and Volvo auto’s are really good.

eagerbeaver:
Wonder what kind of deal they got? I would imagine it could be a smart move to keep Scania and Volvo on their toes.

Don’t know why there getting man,s , but told a while ago they were struggling getting volvos, not sure if true or not .

The sound system was crap on the last ones I drove (12reg), they even had a subwoofer under the bunk

Agree with you there Pimp. We have a couple of 64 plates. The audio is adjusted on a touch screen, but no matter what I do, the sound is tinny and crap.

You can improve the MAN radio by sticking some gaffa tape over those two 2" poxy little squeakers in the A pillars, and i dare say if you were to remove the door skin and pad the pack out to give the quite large speakers some weight to work against would improve matters further still.
Course best thing to do would to put stick the badge on a Hino or summat and all the faults would then be history… :laughing:

eagerbeaver:

Wouldn’t of thought so with Scania.

logisticsmanager.com/2016/01 … ia-trucks/

I must be in a minority here, I’ve had about 5 in last 12 yrs on and off, apart from the old F2000 (?think that’s what they were called the old square Roadhaus type) and from a drivers point of view I love them.
I’m at the stage now where I prioritise over living space and comfort, all the rest is the guvnor’s concern not mine.
There’s a lot of snobbery with the Scania and Volvo men, but for cab space you can not beat them imo, and I’ve had Scanias, Superspaces, a Magnum briefly, and now an Actros, I prefer the MAN to the lot.

Some of you don’t know you are born when you listen to moaning about trivialities in trucks, compared to some of the crap we had to drive once over.

During the war we … :laughing:

I’ve mostly driven them for the last 7 years and all I can say is I’m glad I’ve now got an actros. Yes the cab on my old xxl was probably larger but apart from a good seat the rest was ■■■■■■ especially the gearbox/clutch. I liked them when they had the comfort shift, that was the pinnacle for me then they went downhill rapidly! The actros overall is far superior imo.

eagerbeaver:
but no matter what I do, the sound is tinny and crap.

Lol, so is the horn, sounds like a scooter coming through instead of a truck [emoji1][emoji1]

nomiS36:
I liked them when they had the comfort shift, that was the pinnacle for me

+1