MAN tgx

Now the “proud” pilot of the aforementioned. Couple of questions for anyone who can help. First, the fridge doesn’t work. Anyone know which fuse it is? Second, it doesn’t seem to have any back lighting to the dash board, and I have adjusted the brightness to max. Am I missing something? Is it just me or is the auto box possibly the most awful thing known to mankind?

hi m8 used to have xxl roadhouse there was another switch to turn on b4 fridge will work cant remember where but there somewhere hope that helps

What’s really annoying is that one of the other drivers went and put my box on ready so I could swap over in the yard and he reckons it was working fine and chilled his can of coke!

oh ok try turning switch in fridge round to completely of without engine running so u can hear motor then turn full to max cold .some new trucks know if batteries low and cut of fridge gd luck :smiley:

Is there a wire that goes under the passenger seat?if not…you don’t got a fridge.
Can’t help with the back lighting,and yes,the gear box is ■■■■.

P.s
If the cab has been jacked up,the fridge should be switched off for minimum 2 hours.

I’ve just moved into a 12 plate tgx xl.
Agreed, the gearbox isn’t very good in my opinion. Can it be set to pull away in second sooner than 3rd?
And can i check my daily drive via the dash display? It’s showing weekly but not daily.
Mines a bog standard rental with a “coolbox”… Which ain’t cool… It just gets in the way lol.

I was surprised how comfy the bed is though. It’s a thin mattress but I find it quite good.

rgt1973:
Now the “proud” pilot of the aforementioned. Couple of questions for anyone who can help. First, the fridge doesn’t work. Anyone know which fuse it is? Second, it doesn’t seem to have any back lighting to the dash board, and I have adjusted the brightness to max. Am I missing something? Is it just me or is the auto box possibly the most awful thing known to mankind?

Dash lighting adjustment is in the menu, have a play, its easier to scroll the menu from the steering wheel than the dash keys, as well as brightness adjustment you can turn the back lights off, presumably night fighter mode…Broadsword Calling Danny Boy

Auto box is crap, but then its a crap gearbox anyway, worse in DAFs (on/off switch clutch) and absolutely crap in Ivecos.

If you can bothered to learn the ratios it does drive better if you override the box and drive it manually when loaded (and you can maximise engine braking too), but you either have to select auto when stationary or in 12th, if you select it in between gears it usually defaults back to auto after about 30 seconds.

Quite how any of these autos, apart from Volvo, made it past UK type approval is a mystery, which deserves its own operation yewtree to discover the (hysterical finger pointing) truth and nothing but the (compensayshun) truth.

Juddian:

rgt1973:

Dash lighting adjustment is in the menu, have a play, its easier to scroll the menu from the steering wheel than the dash keys, as well as brightness adjustment you can turn the back lights off, presumably night fighter mode…Broadsword Calling Danny Boy

Auto box is crap, but then its a crap gearbox anyway, worse in DAFs (on/off switch clutch) and absolutely crap in Ivecos.

If you can bothered to learn the ratios it does drive better if you override the box and drive it manually when loaded (and you can maximise engine braking too), but you either have to select auto when stationary or in 12th, if you select it in between gears it usually defaults back to auto after about 30 seconds.

Quite how any of these autos, apart from Volvo, made it past UK type approval is a mystery, which deserves its own operation yewtree to discover the (hysterical finger pointing) truth and nothing but the (compensayshun) truth.

I have always maintained that the auto box was introduced when contract hire became common among the various manufacturers and vehicle maintenance was part of the deal , operators were totally duped by the manufacturers into accepting the auto box as being the way forward , when in fact it was only a way of making life a great deal easier for the dealers workshops . I was fortunate ? in my driving career to work a company who used the first I / shift Volvos in my part of the country , be assured they were very problematic in the gearbox department , with tow-ins almost a weekly occurrence .

Thing that annoys me most, is on the downshifts.
it double clutches, but lets the clutch out too early…second time, which results in lurch city.

commonrail:
Thing that annoys me most, is on the downshifts.
it double clutches, but lets the clutch out too early…second time, which results in lurch city.

finger on exhaust toggle temporarily switch it off and back on again seems to lessen the lurch.

It seems it has electrical gremlins! The dash lighting is actually blowing fuses, so a trip to MAN is looming. Also the front mirror fell off on the motorway the other day. Still no fridge[DISAPPOINTED FACE]. New problems now include the cat walk has all shaken loose, the tank for the hydraulics has come loose behind the cab and has leaks everywhere! Also the blower gear isn’t working properly and it now turns out that when all the pto and blowing gear was fitted by W&G tankers, they forgot to disconnect the battery when welding and fried the ECU. Why do I have a bad feeling about this truck!?

Did the dealer mention ECU by any chance :unamused: , cor blimey guvnor never had one of those fail before :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i’m only surprised we don’t each carry a couple of spares and change em during walk around checks.

I can’t believe these things wear the same badge as those proper MANs of yore.

Has now been into MAN and I have to say they are useless! Have had a pto problem as well and they aren’t interested. Still no dash lights or fridge, but on the plus side now have my phone linked to the stereo via the Bluetooth and I think every truck should have this!

Speakers are garbage compared to my Scania!

…Next on the list will be bits of trim falling off

rgt1973:
Has now been into MAN and I have to say they are useless!

Not one of the old ERF dealers by any chance? Lots got assimilated into the MAN network when they took ERF over and some of them were of the diehard ‘bodge it with gaffa tape’ brigade*, which tbf might have been ok if the truck’s mostly made of plastic?!? Having said that, there’s probably nearly as much plastic in an MAN these days anyhoo. A mere shadow of the stuff they made in the 70s and 80s. Down there with disposable Ivecos now IMHO.

(* that’s not to say MAN didn’t have the average share of rubbish dealers itself mind! :unamused:)

Oh well, another visit to the dealer tomorrow to re do the job they did the other day! Hopefully they will get the message I’m going to be a pain in the backside if they don’t do it right. Just waiting for the " we need it for a day" comment at which point I shall inform them that as a fully qualified HGV mechanic and member of the Guild of Master Craftsmen, I could sort it myself in an hour!

Update. Dealer has surprised me and done all jobs apart from the fridge. Shame they couldn’t refit the dash properly! Wet roads seem to be a problem! Never had a truck with so little traction! Not looking forward to snow! MPG is shocking. Yes , we run pto , but not getting above 7mpg! Is that about right? Blower problems all sorted now we have ditched WG Tankers and are using Hydraulic Discharge Equipment in Castleford. Proper blokes who know their stuff.