MAN TGX Exhaust brake usage

Hi all.

I have a driving assessment this Friday. I haven’t driven a HGV for 2 years now. The unit i will be in is a MAN TGX 2011 onward i believe.

This may sound stupid, but, having never driven a MAN, could someone please tell me if the exhaust brake can be left continuously on or if it has to be applied via the stalk when required?

Thanks in advance.
Ben.

I switch the auto mode off,as it will drop down too may gears…and rev the bullocks off it.
When approaching a down hill section,I select manual…then hold it in 11th.
This(with the occasional dab of break)is enough to keep everything in check. Without cooking the brakes.

Should have added,I manually deploy the exhaust brake…at the same time.
And this is for motorway driving only.
A roads will involve lower speeds/gears

So long as the switch down by your left knee is on it will come on automatically same as a Scanny, you can trigger fully auto exhausting too via the little switch on the end of the stalk, same as Daf’s.

I too drive in manual and use the exhauster as my primary brake by keeping the revs up in the higher green band, which you find illuminates once you press the little exhauster switch on the right, maximum deceleration is between 2000 and 2200 rpm, once used to it you only need the service brakes to bring the lorry to a final stop.

As Commonrail mentions the lorry does it all pretty well on its jack in auto, but as you get slower it will suddenly drop to 7th or even 5th still exhausting, rather violently, so its prudent to knock the exhauster switch off when you sense its going to drop from 9th to 7th.

Not easy to explain, hope that makes some sense.

Thanks for your replies guys. Its given me a bit more understanding . I know its not rocket science, i just don’t want to look like a complete tool on the assessment :blush: :laughing:

Thanks again.
Ben