Man TGX 440 XXL - Buying Advice

Seen a very clean 2010 model with 740km. I’ve read some horror stories about these but would really like to know if anyone has one with similar or higher mileage.

The price is about the same as a much older 4 series Scania with higher mileage. These TGX seem so much better value but obviously people are going to say they are cheaper for a reason. Are they really that crap and unreliable?

Thoughts please?

If its been dealer maintained and had all the factory updates it would be my motor of choice and good value for money . Driving this motor requires some driver input , the badge snobs will have you believe that its the worst motor ever produced .

shugg:
If its been dealer maintained and had all the factory updates it would be my motor of choice and good value for money . Driving this motor requires some driver input , the badge snobs will have you believe that its the worst motor ever produced .

I’m no badge snob (I had a Renault, remember :stuck_out_tongue: ) but the thing I have read on TruckNet time and time again is that the cost of MAN parts is eye-watering.

Do yourself a favour and avoid.

There ok when sat under dealer warranty but when paying to repair them out your own picket sure way of bankruptcy.

A fairly indepth thread on them here…

I’d sit down with a drink and get comfortabled…

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=137472

My advice would be unless you have full warranty with the option of a replacement vehicle, steer clear. It’s an over complicated, unreliable engine prone to catastrophic bottom end failure. Just as an example there are 6 thermostats in the 440 engine.

Totally irrelevant to the thread I know, but MAN used to make the engines for WW2 U boats.

The truck racers seem to love MAN engines any ideas why? is it just because they reckon the engine can withstand high rpm if there is very little load to overcome?

It’s not engine it’s all the electronic side thst is the bad side

Thanks guys for the replies.

After reading all this one to give a miss!

psv8:

it is the engine total disaster FACT .

TOECUTTER:

psv8:

it is the engine total disaster FACT .

Couldn’t agree more. The 440 EGR lump is an absolute lemon!

For cab comfort , they are spot on, and comfortable to drive.
They are prone to engine problems but it is depending on the year of manufacture.
They tested the engines too hot on the block in the factory.
The small windows behind the seats, serve no purpose, so buy some sticky back plastic to keep the light out and stop the cold coming in or sun in the summer.
There is a huge blind spot on the left and right side of the windscreen due to large pillar by the doors .
It essy not to see vehicles,pedestrians and cycles when turning out of junction.
Take the cool box out under the bunk, it is not a fridge and gets in the way .
The night heater is good and fuel economy is good.
On steep hills in ice or snow, they loose traction and spin out.
To get going, stop, lift up the mid axle then engage the diff lock, then once clear of the hill, stop, then turn off the diff lock.

The egr ones are a disaster stay away the scr are better once they are at 400k it’s Russian roulette.