Man tgx 26.440 vs renault premium 460dxi

Which is a better 6x2 tractor unit? man tgx 26.440 or Renault premium 460dxi … looking for pre-owned 2009, 2010 or 2011 registerd only.

Renault pulls better, has better auto gearbox and the build quality is better so the interior is likely to have survived better. MAN interiors seem to fall apart just by looking at them.

Downside of the Renaults of that era is that I found the ones I drove which had around 500,000km on tended to have the odd funky electrical issue which would result in erroneous warning messages on the dash. They also seemed to like to sup Ad-Blu more than the MANs as well.

For tramping Man for a day cab the premium.

It’s a bit like choosing between…

Two really crappy school dinners. Soggy cabbage or boiled to death potatoes.

MAN for me. Surely the Renault is a Volvo though isn’t it?

Renault all day long. MAN have more problems than any other marque presently. Unless things like bunk size and interior mean you’re happy to ■■■■■ thousands on repairs for the benefit.

Conor:
Renault … They also seemed to like to sup Ad-Blu more than the MANs as well.

That would be because the MAN with the 440 engine does not have ad-blue.

rosambili:
Which is a better 6x2 tractor unit? man tgx 26.440 or Renault premium 460dxi … looking for pre-owned 2009, 2010 or 2011 registerd only.

how much you looking to pay for a 60 plate MAN 400 000 KM ■■?

Drove a 07 Premium for quite a while, good truck,Volvo running gear, went well. Drove a 11 MAN 440 for a couple of years, very comfy drive,very spacious cab, xlx size. but being the 440 was forever going back to the dealer for problems associated with the non ad-blue use.If I was given the choice i`d still go with the MAN,UNLESS i WAS AN O/D,then the Renault everytime.

5 year old 440 MAN hmm?
Suggest buying a spare motor for its possible downtime would be judicious :wink:
To be fair apart from the too regular by far waterworks problems, if driven regularly by someone who gives a toss they can be as reliable as anything out there, as always depends what work its done and going to do.

Whatever make or model you buy, if its been underspecified by its first owner/leaser (eg small engine at maximum weights day and night), poorly maintained, or abused by poor quality drivers on heavy ie hilly terrain then its probably going to give problems.
Whilst parcel spec used as a parcel trunker should mean a long trouble free life due to its previous easy time.

Thank you guys… I don’t mind space at all… I can adopt to a small confined space compared to motorway break downs. I think its the DXI all the way now… Man though a good motor needs just a lot TLC and attention…

Conor:
Renault pulls better, has better auto gearbox and the build quality is better so the interior is likely to have survived better. MAN interiors seem to fall apart just by looking at them.

Downside of the Renaults of that era is that I found the ones I drove which had around 500,000km on tended to have the odd funky electrical issue which would result in erroneous warning messages on the dash. They also seemed to like to sup Ad-Blu more than the MANs as well.

True the build quality for Premium is better than Man. Interior roof cloth lining came off in my Man and all the ones I have seen even the TGX later models suffer the same problem… Soft interior clothing yes, durable No… the Actros is far much better. I have owned a 05 model Renault Premium 420DCI auto High roof and a 05 model Man TGA 26.430 XLX auto… Fuel economy with same load and Mileage the Renault won but for power Man bit the Premium, Man is comfortable due to cross cab access. Even though both had ZF AS-Tronic 12 speed gear boxes, premium was better and that was then… I can only imagine how good the DXI gearbox is.

Dazza1980:
For tramping Man for a day cab the premium.

The only problem with the premium is cross cab access.

yourhavingalarf:
It’s a bit like choosing between…

Two really crappy school dinners. Soggy cabbage or boiled to death potatoes.

MAN for me. Surely the Renault is a Volvo though isn’t it?

How is that? the two trucks are both sound motors and one has to be better than the other on some points… am more into when the miles are high. How reliable is one or which is better.

Own Account Driver:
Renault all day long. MAN have more problems than any other marque presently. Unless things like bunk size and interior mean you’re happy to ■■■■■ thousands on repairs for the benefit.

Very true My Man TGA 430 had problems with the brakes kept on replacing the break discs and eventually a wheel bearing. I had to replace ABS/EBS ECU unit since the truck was engaging breaks on and off while in motion… noticed this when replacing the rear break disc. fuel with full load GCW of 48 T was crap. Cab lock sensors failed. Some TGA 440’s in the yard had problems with cylinder heads, gaskets, valves, turbos, breaks, Engine ECU with oil inside frying the ECU, release bearing. More problems with the Mans than the Premium. Major work done on the premium was replacing the radiator as it was leaking coolant. I don’t know much about the TGX 440… with twin turbos and inter-coolers even though I have heard horrific stories about them.

TOECUTTER:

rosambili:

how much you looking to pay for a 60 plate MAN 400 000 KM ■■?

Not keen on Man unless the TGX is better than the TGA.

dowahdiddyman:
Drove a 07 Premium for quite a while, good truck,Volvo running gear, went well. Drove a 11 MAN 440 for a couple of years, very comfy drive,very spacious cab, xlx size. but being the 440 was forever going back to the dealer for problems associated with the non ad-blue use.If I was given the choice i`d still go with the MAN,UNLESS i WAS AN O/D,then the Renault everytime.

The way I have seen posts on MAN…
MAN on add blue = Problematic
MAN on EGR = Problematic
Now which Man truck is better ? there must be one. I am just wondering.

Juddian:
5 year old 440 MAN hmm?
Suggest buying a spare motor for its possible downtime would be judicious :wink:
To be fair apart from the too regular by far waterworks problems, if driven regularly by someone who gives a toss they can be as reliable as anything out there, as always depends what work its done and going to do.

Whatever make or model you buy, if its been underspecified by its first owner/leaser (eg small engine at maximum weights day and night), poorly maintained, or abused by poor quality drivers on heavy ie hilly terrain then its probably going to give problems.
Whilst parcel spec used as a parcel trunker should mean a long trouble free life due to its previous easy time.

I agree with you 100% even though some trucks can tolerate some abuse compared to others.

Having driven Premiums a plenty since the slap across box days, and am currently piloting a T Range, there are a lot of people who are badge snobs when it comes to them. Yes they may not have the cross cab access of the MAN, but pound for pound they are the better motor.

In my opinion, they suffer no worse than the MAN for faults, but one must remember they were designed as a fleet motor for the penny pinchers, but did come with extras if you are lucky enough to find one. If you want an upgrade, then maybe a Magnum is the way forward.

Things to watch for are electrical warnings, which are usually not there as the French electrics have a mind of their own, the lower steps tend to get battered, as do the side air deflectors, but apart form that, not much. They have probably one of the best sound systems out there, the bed is comfy, although not up to DAF standard.

Oh, and when you exit the vehicle, take your keys out of the ignition. I have known some to lock themselves with the keys inside as you can catch the door lever on the way out knocking it down.

Ken.

For similar money, can you not get a DAF XF?

Better truck all round than the two that you have mentioned (both crap).

eagerbeaver:
For similar money, can you not get a DAF XF?

Better truck all round than the two that you have mentioned (both crap).

I am big fan of both other makes but if it came to a third choice DAF for me certainly .