MAN tgm...any good?

hi all, ill be driving a new tgm, euro six,auto box with sleeper cab soon, does anyone have any tips/advice on them, ive only sat in it for 20 minutes so far, havent drove it yet tho, seems well specced and spacious compared to my last motor..and ive never used an auto box before ( it`s not the fleet spec box )…thanks

The gearbox is ok, not the best. From what I’ve heard on here, its nice inside but the trim is a bit pants and falls off quite easily if you are rough with it.

You will need to learn to anticipate like you never have before, look for a gap at a roundabout and go to set off earlier as it takes about 5 seconds to pull away, the gearbox is pants.

Reversing onto a bay or under a trailer - select Rm (the one after R), or it will either be all or nothing, no inbetween.

Also, watch for the huge blindspot on the O/S/F - There is no room to peek through the mirrors at junctions (You will know what I mean when your at a roundabout or junction)

You might find it handy to get some Hella converter plugs (If thats what they are actually called) as you only get 1 DC plug and could a pain if you need to charge more than one item.
amazon.co.uk/W4-Adapt-it-5-A … B001G7V57I

trubster:
You will need to learn to anticipate like you never have before, look for a gap at a roundabout and go to set off earlier as it takes about 5 seconds to pull away, the gearbox is pants.

Reversing onto a bay or under a trailer - select Rm (the one after R), or it will either be all or nothing, no inbetween.

Also, watch for the huge blindspot on the O/S/F - There is no room to peek through the mirrors at junctions (You will know what I mean when your at a roundabout or junction)

You might find it handy to get some Hella converter plugs (If thats what they are actually called) as you only get 1 DC plug and could a pain if you need to charge more than one item.
amazon.co.uk/W4-Adapt-it-5-A … B001G7V57I

Driven a few auto mans and what trubster says is correct. Takes a couple of seconds from putting the foot down to actually moving. Terrible traction if unloaded in the the rain as well. Nice and comfy to drive though.

Isn’t a TGM a rigid, therefore not an artic, unless it’s an urban artic which I highly doubt the OP is on about… :wink:

A MAN rigid? I’ve driven those! The cabs are big for a rigid. Hopefully yours will have the heated seat which is awesome! I second the opinion of only using Rm or Dm when backing in otherwise you’ll be smashing into things. Oh thing to note, the steering wheel is the size of a dust bin lid.

DAF95XF:
Isn’t a TGM a rigid, therefore not an artic, unless it’s an urban artic which I highly doubt the OP is on about… :wink:

I have driven a TGM Artic and Rigid - both are the same inside, bit smaller and lower than the TGX and has a bigger engine hump (Obviously)

Never actually driven a TGM. TGS and TGX but basically the same. We only have MAN rigids left in our place, the artics gone, preferred it to the Merc MP4 I drive now.

apologies…yes its a rigid... :blush: it does have some nice extras on it, hope it all lasts the test of time tho, is there only one 12 volt socket ?.. in the pull out drawer thing ? thanks

roadcrew:
is there only one 12 volt socket ?.. in the pull out drawer thing ? thanks

Yes, not sure if it is 12 or 24V

If you get one of them plugs in my earlier post, it converts the 2 smaller ones into the normal size one - the cover on the plugs state which one is 12v and 24v

Some MSA forecourts and truckstops sell them

Aye, the ash tray bitty its 24v IIRC. As already stated the trim is pretty flimsy, specially the ash tray, has a tendency to get stuck either in or out, just dont force it or you will break it.

The TGS I drove was a pretty reliable motor. MAN’s do have a tendency (atleast at our place) to go through head gaskets.

The bottom bumper corner pieces come off pretty easily too, just be careful.

Cant think of much else, good luck.

Our Technician needed 3 Hour to change a Headlight Bilb :laughing:

The MAN are my fav truck, brill exhaust brake when your fully loaded, handle well good solid brakes just feel safer than most trucks.

roadcrew:
apologies…yes its a rigid... :blush: it does have some nice extras on it, hope it all lasts the test of time tho, is there only one 12 volt socket ?.. in the pull out drawer thing ? thanks

There’s a 24v cigarette socket in the ash tray and assuming it’s similar to the TGX, there’s a 12v (white plug) and a 24v hella plug socket in the passenger footwell. If you’ve got 3 drawers, top one springs out and is where the 24v cig socket is and the 2 underneath have handles and pull out :slight_smile:

Seconding the comments about the near side mirror too… My only complaint about the TGX I drive daily!

Immigrant:
Our Technician needed 3 Hour to change a Headlight Bilb :laughing:

10 minutes max, pop the front cover off to the inside of the light unit, undo 2 torx screws from the front, one from behind via the cover by the steps, whole unit swings out easy access to every bulb.

Note, the sensible driver loosens the screws lightly oils them and gently retightens, if they don’t get disturbed for a long time, they can stick.

Wouldn’t be a half bad lorry if they ditched the ZF autogearbox, about the worse box ever put in a lorry, however in an Iveco the time lag while it sorts itself out is even worse.