MAN TGA Oil consumption

Hi guys - bought a 05 TGA 26-430 6 weeks ago with 200000k on it. The truck does about 5000k a week. In that time it has used about 7 litres of oil for 30000k of motorway trunking. There are no oil leaks as my mechanic has confirmed so can only assume it is being burnt in the engine - Is this acceptable or is it pointing at a more fundermental fault?
Any comments / advice gratefully accepted.
Cheers!
Tony

I run 3 TGA’s and none of them use oil anything close to that.
They usually get a litre or two at most about once every 6-7 weeks.

Hope this is of some help to you buddy.

doesnt sound excessive to me, just a point though, my stralis use to burn about two to three ltrs a week, when i changed to oil i put in a very good quality synthetic long drain oil and it stopped useing oil

:laughing: :laughing: the driver may be stealing it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:
no on a serious note, how do you know the milage is correct■■?

i,ve recently converted from my merc to a TGA 480 it runs on that mega expensive fully synthetic stuff and hardly uses a drop

Mine only used about 3 or 4 litres per month too on 280000km

I’m sure I dipped the oil earlier :smiley:

I know of one tga that burn’s alot of oil too,it run’s at very low GVW.
Drove a good few tga’s myself and although riddled with problem’s oil consumption was not one of them.
MAN truck’s in my experience tend to be very fast when on low mileage but when the mileage creep’s past 500k’s then they get slow and thirsty.
Usually a sign of a high mileage engine.

Hi, I have run many TGA 430’s - none of them EVER burnt oil at that rate.

Still run seven of them alongside my 440’s and they hardly use oil - max litre or two per month
when doing 3-3500 km per week

Send a Oil sample of to a Laboratory
to see what is happening within the
engine it self, this will be one way
of finding out why the engine is useing
oil at such a rate,well worth the cost
incurred ,may just save you time
money and trouble.

Hi kwaka, following on from Pete’s point about a lab test on your oil, these folks might be able to help…

http://www.vernolab.sgs.com/vernolab_index_v2.htm?selen=1&

Here’s a bit about what they do and where they are:
http://www.hotfroguk.co.uk/Companies/Sgs-Vernolab-Uk

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Thanks for the advice / response guys - MAN/ERF have agreed “to look at it” as they agree it seems excessive - from past experience, thats all they will do!

kwaka:
Hi guys - bought a 05 TGA 26-430 6 weeks ago with 200000k on it. The truck does about 5000k a week. In that time it has used about 7 litres of oil for 30000k of motorway trunking. There are no oil leaks as my mechanic has confirmed so can only assume it is being burnt in the engine - Is this acceptable or is it pointing at a more fundermental fault?
Cheers!
Tony

Sounds a bit low to me, our Dafs (56 reg 400k on clock) use up to 4 litres a DAY. Every one on the fleet the same, mind you they don’t use any ad-blue as that’s all completely knackered.

You want to get that sorted i’d say before you blow an engine up, I think the company can be fined as well for running them with no ad blue as they are breaking emissions regs (not sure on that but would make sense).

Mackem:

kwaka:
Cheers!
Tony

Sounds a bit low to me, our Dafs (56 reg 400k on clock) use up to 4 litres a DAY. Every one on the fleet the same, mind you they don’t use any ad-blue as that’s all completely knackered.

I haven’t been blessed with the modern DAF but the 3300/3600 were always heavy users. We had 8 or 9 and they all seemed the same, although never 4 litres a day, probably 5 litres per week.