MAN tga 26.440 2008 issues

Hello fellow drivers, I am new to this forum, was going through the net searching for solve some issues with my MAN 26.440 and hit the forum by accident!
So the first issue: lock cab light , the sensors wiring was cracked, solved
The worst is that the truck lost it’s power, and the dpf lamp came on, and exhaust brake or evb it just makes a noise without any significant help on slowing down.
as I was going through the daily maintenance found the exhaust temp sensor broken and the probe missing
anyone faced similar issues before? it’s a tipper truck running constantly at 44ton plus

edit

475000 kms went through 3 turbos and much more…

Thanks in advance,

Herdwick

Take the exhaust brake off and check the flap hasn’t sheared off the shaft. It’s a common fault.

would do that tommorow as I did not have time to take the down pipe off the turbo,

Herdwick:
it’s a tipper truck running constantly at 44ton plus

Maybe start running at legal weight…

When was the last time it had a top end set up??
Valve clearance is important on them.

Conor:

Herdwick:

Not all posters live and operate in the UK you know. It’s a big world out there in interwebland Conor. :wink:

I am far away from UK, at a place where legal weight is 46t :slight_smile:
any way, I don’t thing legal or not has something to do with the trucks performance,

billybigrig:

Not a clue, will check SH aswell,

also the screen stopped showing the gear your driving in, only reverse, neutral L/H range and splitter working, any ideas?
I am new on this truck and lots of drivers before me didn’t treat it well :frowning:

Herdwick:
any way, I don’t thing legal or not has something to do with the trucks performance,

billybigrig:

also the screen stopped showing the gear your driving in, only reverse, neutral L/H range and splitter working, any ideas?
I am new on this truck and lots of drivers before me didn’t treat it well :frowning:

Input or output speed sensor faulty, it works out what gear it is by comparing the 2 sensors so if one goes down the display stops working.

Also when you say lost power do you mean massively so? Does it have any boost pressure at all as the turbine wheels sometimes shear off and head for the silencer, either getting jammed in the exhaust brake or wiping out the sensors on the way down

Exhaust brake…

Just makes a noise. It’s got little decompression allied with the one of the slowest auto boxes out there, by the time it’s downchanged and the exhauster has kicked in, you’re actually on the roundabout you’re trying to coast into.

in short…uttterly useless

AF1:

Herdwick:

billybigrig:

Input or output speed sensor faulty, it works out what gear it is by comparing the 2 sensors so if one goes down the display stops working.

Also when you say lost power do you mean massively so? Does it have any boost pressure at all as the turbine wheels sometimes shear off and head for the silencer, either getting jammed in the exhaust brake or wiping out the sensors on the way down

I found three turbine wheels from three previous turbo blow ups in the silencer and the exhaust temp sensor was sheared off as you mensioned, will post pics tommorow!
the guys at MAN here changed the speed sensor/tacho sensor to sort the gear thing but it’s still the same, I figured it must be one of the sensors at the top of the gearbox where the shifting cables attach, there is one switched that says reverse, one with 2 pins and one with 8 pins, remove the fuses and when removed the 8 pined could not engage any gear, when removed the 2pined would not start, there is another sensor at the right hand side that did not fiddle with it… yet… :smiley:

as far as power loss goes, a steep and long hill with the same GVW I have to go 4 low and clear it at 1100/1200 rps where when it was ok it could do 5high and 1300/1400 rpms, so a massive difference in power loss in my oppinion

yourhavingalarf:
Exhaust brake…

Just makes a noise. It’s got little decompression allied with the one of the slowest auto boxes out there, by the time it’s downchanged and the exhauster has kicked in, you’re actually on the roundabout you’re trying to coast into.

in short…uttterly useless

Well I agree, as never drove it when working properly to know the difference, it’s a manual by the way not the autocrap thing

Conor:

Herdwick:

You don’t know that it’s not a 26 440 unit pulling a tipper trailer at 44 tonne

I have one of them where i work on an 11plate. Hate the thing. Hesitates to change gears and very jerky lol

Danstoneman24:
I have one of them where i work on an 11plate. Hate the thing. Hesitates to change gears and very jerky lol

Is it auto?

On manuals the shifting cables inners tend to split and the shifting becomes heavy, changed the ones on a coworkers 32.440 and it shifts like a dream now! Also their clutch servos ■■■■, loosing air and become weak and clutch won’t seperate properly causing heavy shifting, untill it wont shift at all

This works…

youtube.com/watch?v=xhzATdhV0u0

ok, that might not be an MAN but frankly…i don’t care

Punchy Dan:

Conor:

Herdwick:

You don’t know that it’s not a 26 440 unit pulling a tipper trailer at 44 tonne

Yes I do, the OP said it spent its time running 44 tonnes plus.

With a 46 ton max weight, its either Finland, Denmark or Czech, Sweden has a 60 tonne limit…

AndrewG:
With a 46 ton max weight, its either Finland, Denmark or Czech, Sweden has a 60 tonne limit…

Nope! Not even close!

I am located at the eastern part of europe, we don’t have a legal limit of 46t here, it’s just an unwritten law between the state and operators that if you don’t exceed 46t you are good to go, if you do so and get caught then the penalty is huge as the legal maximum for a artic is 40t