MAN Questions.

What’s the difference between the “AC/ECO” and “AC” buttons? I’m sure my aircon’s not working properly as it doesn’t seem that cold. My wagon’s an 11 plate so maybe it needs re-gassing?
Also, is it normal for the auto 'box to be somewhat jumpy when the road surface changes? Mine jolts especially when coming off tarmac onto a ■■■■■■■■ road.

I maybe wrong, but I think the eco setting basically turns off the air con off saving fuel hence the eco bit. As for the gearbox , the zf auto is about the worst one around , so it is not a surprise it doesn’t like a change of road surface!

AC/Eco doesn’t cool Cider down as well as AC. I think it’s AC ‘Mini Me’. Probably needs re’gassing. We’ve got some 11 plate MAN’s & I know one of them needs attention.
When you go off road just put it in manual & leave it in 4th, 5th or 6th. I find the Auto box ok for general road work (you just need a bit of patience !)

Worth learning the idiosyncrasies of satans ZF autobox, its bloody useless left to its own devices, driving it in manual at all times except empty road running might make progress somewhat better.

Surprised any operator would spec such a useless box for an off roader tipper, imagine it’ll be a barrel of laughs in winter when constant torque and a cool head is needed for axle deep mud wading etc when the bloody thing decides it needs to change gear several times at the most inopportune moments.

Muckaway:
What’s the difference between the “AC/ECO” and “AC” buttons? I’m sure my aircon’s not working properly as it doesn’t seem that cold. My wagon’s an 11 plate so maybe it needs re-gassing? .

Eco puts the aircon off so it works like an ambient temp fan i.e draw in air from outside but not cool it, though it will feel cool when your are moving. Put aircon on at the lowest temp and turn the fans right up. It should blast cold air. If it doesn’t then a re-gas might be needed.

From what I understood when I used to drive MANs was ‘A/C’ was normal I.e dry air & ‘ECON’ was the same but didn’t dry the air & was meant to keep you more comfortable, if you turn either off then you get normal ambient air at whatever the outside temperature is…
If you don’t use the aircon in your vehicle it’ll stop working hence it being recommended you use it once a month for at least 30min to keep moving parts working (never turn mine off).

Gearbox doesn’t sound like something’s right. Are you sure it’s not just running down them because it thinks you want to take off speed? Shouldn’t jolt though.

Check that the pollen filter is clean, not sure about the Man but in a Daf if its not clean then it really affects the amount of air that the fan can draw in, had the same problem recently and thought the aircon was faulty but after I changed the pollen filter it was perfect, I do a lot of site work and the dust gets in everywhere so the pollen filter doesn’t stay clean for very long! As for the auto box it’s better to leave it in manual on rough ground , maybe I’m wrong but it you’re bouncing around the place then your foot is not steady on the throttle and if it gets a little more or less revs it prompts it to change up or down when you don’t want it to, great gearbox in my opinion but you still need to use your head when driving it, I think a good driver that hsd used a constant mesh box in the past can easily master these zf autos, drive it like a constant mesh without using the clutch, in other words use the throttle to prompt a gear change up or down particularly when coming to a roundabout, if you come to roundabout with your foot on the brake peddle then most of the time it won’t drop down enough gears for a smooth getaway, just let your foot off the brake for a second and it should drop down keeping you in the gear you want just like you’d do in a constant mesh without using the clutch only you don’t need to physically change gear. Try driving it like that and see who you get on, I prefer it to the I shift as you can actually prompt it when to change so there is still a bit of skill involved, I’m sick of hearing drivers slating it but I think the problem is many have only ever driven a synchromesh box, and yes they are a bit awkard at slow manoeuvres but it just takes a little patience and a very light right foot :wink:

Transc:
Check that the pollen filter is clean, not sure about the Man but in a Daf if its not clean then it really affects the amount of air that the fan can draw in, had the same problem recently and thought the aircon was faulty but after I changed the pollen filter it was perfect, I do a lot of site work and the dust gets in everywhere so the pollen filter doesn’t stay clean for very long! As for the auto box it’s better to leave it in manual on rough ground , maybe I’m wrong but it you’re bouncing around the place then your foot is not steady on the throttle and if it gets a little more or less revs it prompts it to change up or down when you don’t want it to, great gearbox in my opinion but you still need to use your head when driving it, I think a good driver that hsd used a constant mesh box in the past can easily master these zf autos, drive it like a constant mesh without using the clutch, in other words use the throttle to prompt a gear change up or down particularly when coming to a roundabout, if you come to roundabout with your foot on the brake peddle then most of the time it won’t drop down enough gears for a smooth getaway, just let your foot off the brake for a second and it should drop down keeping you in the gear you want just like you’d do in a constant mesh without using the clutch only you don’t need to physically change gear. Try driving it like that and see who you get on, I prefer it to the I shift as you can actually prompt it when to change so there is still a bit of skill involved, I’m sick of hearing drivers slating it but I think the problem is many have only ever driven a synchromesh box, and yes they are a bit awkard at slow manoeuvres but it just takes a little patience and a very light right foot :wink:

+1

Well written, a lot of people Slag off the MAN gearbox, I’ve found it ok, just drive it carefully & not at F1 speed. :unamused:

I know drivers who want to get from A to B as quick as possible & the right foot is flat on the floor all the time, then they jump out moaning about the equipment, well, perhaps they need to change their profession. Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren come to mind. :laughing:

Ive had my 11 plate from new and found the gearbox fine, we pull out of quarries, sounds like yours has a problem.
The air-con is a regular problem, if you lift the grill, take the filter out of the upper black box and give it a blow out with an air line, will help but won`t be perfect. I suspect that yours has gone like 99% of ours and many others up and down the country, the 3 pipes that run the air con rub together and eventually hole, spewing all the gas out. If/when they have, best of luck getting it done, the pipes are on back order just about everywhere and finding rocking horse ■■■ is easier than getting a set.

Great advice, I’ve discovered the “treat it like a crash box” trick. I agree with the post about driving in a relaxed way, this suits me down to the ground! I had a choice of auto MAN 400 or manual Scania p380. The Scanias are quicker but I love the Man cab-the driving position reminds me of Fodens and ERFs so I’m happy. :sunglasses:

Who you working for mate

The MAN cab is nice the scania p cab seems very cramped with the high engine hump

I’m working for Earthline now, but my motor’s in Multi Agg livery. Not sure why, I think it’s some agreement after MA were taken over.

I tend to go up down the box of my 12 plate MAN using cruise if I can otherwise brake gently as that is what they like but then I dont really have a lead foot although it does sit around 53mph which suits me

Normally have the temp set at 18 use the control as how slow /fast it is on

Muckaway:
I’m working for Earthline now, but my motor’s in Multi Agg livery. Not sure why, I think it’s some agreement after MA were taken over.

Earthline !!! Lol

kr79:

Muckaway:

Earthline !!! Lol

I know, but the money’s the same as on the flour, less hours, no handball, more time in bed, new trucks, no nights away. They seem to be a lot better than a couple of years ago. (Couldn’t keep away from tippers either!)
I’ve also not hit the speed limiter either. :open_mouth:

Im back to it tuesday too.

kr79:

Muckaway:

Earthline !!! Lol

my word how things change :laughing:

Like others have said just be gentle with it and it seems to perform better.

It doesn’t perform better when you break down in rush hour just as you’re exiting that 13’3 bridge in Hitchin. Bent gear selector fork made it think it was in neutral. One road closure, an alleged four mile tailback and a nice trip in a big yellow later…

Apparently its a common fault, the dash will show in gear as that’s what the computer is telling it.

The highlight being asked whether I could move it by the first policeman on scene. Didn’t know whether to answer with “I’m not Paul Daniels” or “I wwouldn’t be parked here if I could.”