MAN intercooler problems

Can anyone help- have you come across MAN intercoolers overheating and blowing the radiator cap off.
I have had problems with loss of coolant but there are no visible leaks and then a sudden high pressure steam release blowing the radiator cap off.
I understand that MAN are aware of this but are not actively recalling vehicles
I would be greatful if anyone can help out
Many thanks

It may be a blown head gasket, a leaky injector seal, a bad compressor or a cracked head, but it won’t be the intercooler as they are not linked to the fluid cooling system of the engine.

If its euro 5 EGR they are, they use twin chargecoolers rather than a conventional intercooler. One mounted on the o/s of the engine and one mounted in front of the sump.

Oh yeah, you’re correct, but that’s an EGR cooler, I know that’s being pedantic, but they do have different names, even though they both perform the same function, which is cooling the air that goes into the combustion chamber.

The difference being that the EGR cooler is an air to water device, the intercooler is air to air.

Now you’ve reminded me of that :blush: I’d put money on it being the EGR cooler.

They have an EGR cooler but the charge air is also cooled by water to air coolers, one for each turbo. The thing that looks like an intercooler mounted in front of the radiator is actually a low temp rad to cool the chargecooler coolant.

Are they that complicated? Ffs, that’s all because of the EGR system, coolers on top of coolers on top of coolers, I’m glad of two things, I don’t own an MAN and I don’t have to fix the bloody things :laughing:

Do the EGR Scanias employ a similar system?

Most of our fleet have had this problem, it’s something to do with the inter cooler being porous and water cooled hence pressurising the water system. Speak to the dealer as it should be modified under warranty I believe, certainly ours have…have heard that using he wrong antifreeze with certain inhibitors in it accelerates the problem.

newmercman:
Are they that complicated? Ffs, that’s all because of the EGR system, coolers on top of coolers on top of coolers, I’m glad of two things, I don’t own an MAN and I don’t have to fix the bloody things :laughing:

I’m unsure of the system scania use. As you mentioned the EGR unit is another strong contender as to the cause of the described symptoms. Bring back Euro 1!

Mine went in today for the same problem, it`s a well known fault with the bleedin things, another one is the air-con pipes, they rub through on the chassis, try getting some replacements, they are like rocking horse ■■■.

newmercman:

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve got an idea.Why not use two seperate four cylinder engines one running on diesel and the other one on the steam produced by the emissions bollox for the 4 cylinder diesel engine instead of wasting it all then you’ve not only cut down on emissions but it’ll probably produce more power too. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

And I suppose they’ve got a water cooled compressor too just to add to the potential list of things that can pressurise the coolant and make things even more difficult. Do they list yet another radiator to cool any optional gearbox retarder?

SCR for the win.

And here’s you lot, all moaning about the good ol’ Gardner 180 in front of a 12 speed. :wink: