MAN gearbox rant

Driving a new MAN unit, not sure of model number but new tgx something I think.

The gearbox i thought was great until now. Going up a steep hill, bit wet and fully loaded, so I select manual mode, storm up in 2nd gear and just as I get to the crest of the hill the auto kicks in and tries changing gear, wheels spin and I slide backwards. Mess up the steering in my panic and end up stuck on the verge slowing sinking.

Should have dumped the air in the tag axle apparently. Now seeing if a large tractor is enough to drag it out.

Ranting as gone up steeper wet slopes in a scania by using manual mode but apparently man units don’t work that way and manual means nothing!

Sounds like its been specced without manual override, lots like that…if it’s your permanent vehicle the box can be programmed to accept manual input at the dealer.

Bad luck getting stuck, and yes in slippery situations always be ready to dump the mid lift air (on MAN’s even fully loaded the mid lift will raise after about 15 secs) once you get below 20mph.

Another thing to remember in a slippery situation like that wheer losing power would be a bad thing is to turn ASR or TC off, when you do that ‘‘offroad’’ comes up on the display, doing that will allow a drive wheel to slip but the vehicle will still the keep the power applied.
If you don’t turn ASR off the as soon as the vehicle detects a wheelspin it will reduce power, at low speeds such as maneuvering it will also disengage the clutch so drive is lost.
The combination of doing both things, dump mid lift and turning off ASR will help you with extremely tight or slippery maneuvers, i have a regulare delivery where its almost impossible and really hard on the lorry if you don’t do those two things.

MORE SPEED