man d20 engine

anybody got an opinion on a man xxl with the d20 engine fitted, im close to buying another volvo but fleetex have some 06 xxl,s for sale, 430,s with the d20 engine, my only concern is are they up to the job, im on european fridge work and freighted most of the time, also are they any good on fuel, they are nearly half the price of an 06 volvo,

ps, anybody know any good deals on 06 fh13 480, cant seem to find one less than 33k + vat

my old mans just bought one, 55 plate 340k d20 with the 430 engine £16k cant fault it really

IMHO they’re cheap for a reason. mpg ? I remember hearing of one company who got rid of 4 or 5 they had as they were not good on fuel.

i run the D26 480 9mpg All day long

Its plain white isn’t it?

we have some which are returning decent mpg , freezer work all over europe most have done 800k+ and still going strong , there double manned around the clock .

relaibilty the odd electrical fault but nothing over the top , decent size cab all ours are xxl

we have some of the older 460 and some 480 . both returning around same mpg between 8-10mpg

they also fly when abroad pretty well :laughing: mpg suffer down to 6-7mpg but you travel a extra 20miles further each hour.

decent cab layout imo gives plenty of space .

had a 430 for 2weeks while away and you could tell the diffrence on some hills and returned around the same mpg .

if i was buying would be more inclinded on the 480 for what work your on .

mainly running belgium and holland and back to uk, i would go for the 480 but the reason i looked at these is im about to put pen to paper for 33k for an 06 fh480, and these man,s at 17k for an 06 seemed like a cracking deal but no good if underpowered.

I run 22 430’s / 440’s at the moment and have had a further 26 return off lease.

Up to 400K they are virtually trouble free, and for this reason I’ve had so many - by the way fuel
consumption is excellent, never below 8+mpg fully freighted.

However, as they get older (the oldest I have now is a 56 reg) they become very costly - parts are
alarmingly expensive.

Electrics start playing up also, and to keep going back into the dealers would be very costly.

All mine leased and on contract maintenance so I don’t pick up the bill - but I would NEVER own one.

My six newest trucks are DAF SSC 105/460’s - why oh why did I get them sooner?

The reason was is that the adblue put me off, but taking that into account the DAF is by far
the superior truck.

Hope this helps

K

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say - I have had seven D26 engined 480’s on hire - big overheating
problems which I am told were very costly to sort out - all had less than 300K on the clock.

K

knowall:

:sunglasses: What can I say ? :smiley:

knowall:

How new are they though? A firm locally to me had three 105.460s on 07 plates and two out of the three have already had to go back into DAF to have major engine work done to cure problems with coolant loss…

Oh and they’re obscenely heavy compared to the 95.480s they replaced. Over half a ton heavier.

Paul

youtube.com/watch?v=xv5ynDSHJWk

Transalliance put in an order for 2000 trucks with MAN, this was increased while I worked there to over 3000. the various companies in the group have many different types of work from tankers to tippers, tilts to tautliners, and fridges to flats. Previously they ran huge numbers of Volvo, DAF, Renault and Scania. Due to high fuel costs they settled on a full R&M deal with MAN. It worked for them, and it works for Harry Vos too.

A Volvo for 33k or an MAN for 17k, hmm. :open_mouth: I doubt the freight forwarder will pay you any more just because you run a Volvo at 90kph.

do you actually drive a daf then dafmad? or do you just slate every truck manufacturer that isnt of the make you seem so infatuated with!
i buy a truck to make a living out of , if they make me what i need and are comfortable to drive then i couldnt give a toss what badge is on the front of it

chaversdad:
do you actually drive a daf then dafmad? or do you just slate every truck manufacturer that isnt of the make you seem so infatuated with!
i buy a truck to make a living out of , if they make me what i need and are comfortable to drive then i couldnt give a toss what badge is on the front of it

No need to get upset. Volvos are good. :smiling_imp:
You’re happy with it that’s all that matters.
It was Nippon Express, they changed from what you have to XF 430’s due to poor fuel consumption.

if you enjoy been on side of road awaiting for recovery buy a daf , everyone i have had has been ■■■■■ and broke down more times than a drugy who has been told no to there next fix

Two MAN’s for the price of one Volvo :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:
I know what my head is telling me :exclamation: :wink:

I drive a MAN 460 xxl on an 02 plate.

Nice big cab with a comfy bed and plenty storage.

Doing 8 - 9 mpg most of the time and pulls realy well when freighted.

Can’t beat them for the price. I would recommend the 480 over the 430/440 for your type of work.

I collect timber from a port in Ireland ,the owner’s run a fleet of MAN’s and are happy with them but they are sore on fuel 7mpg and no backloading.

i run 2 d28 480 common rails… and 1 d20 430 common rail…which is leased … i would not buy another… parts are very dear off the main agent. have had coolent problems with 1 of the 480’s usin water but no drips externly so must me internaly… drivers like em tho…2 of my mates hav just bought 2 55 plate 430 xxl’s with 500k on 4 11k… :smiley: :smiley: they are cheap …

~If your trucks using water, look at the inlet manifold or timing casing :sunglasses:

Timing casings the worst, a long hard job!