Man clutch problem

Hi everyone, my name is Noel and this is my last resort,recently bought a 2008 8x4 man tgs 35.440 tipper,got it on the road and notice there is a problem with the clutch, being when you press the clutch down the feeling through the pedal feels like its grinding against something.I was told it was the release bearing so therefore I took box out and had a look, bearing did have some play in it, but not that bad, I thought, anyway put a complete new clutch in (pressure plate,clutch plate,release bearing)plus told to change bush (bearing) in release fork arm which was knackered when pulled apart problem solved so i thought, not to be its still the same.Problem occurs only when truck is moving and at higher rev’s,or rev’ing at a stand still ,sitting there on tick over or when switched off you would’nt think there was a problem.Has anyone suffered this problem and can help me out cheers,Noel

what state was the fly wheel in? did it have a lip on it? has it got the correct man hydro oil? did you check the thrust bearing in the fly wheel?

Hi,only just got back to this, would you believe i had the box out again today (3rd time),had it checked to see if it was running in line and all perfect.Not sure about lip on fly wheel what if it did ■■ thrust bearing fine ,not sure about clutch fluid but i have to bleed it tomorrow can’t normal fluid do ■■ cheers Noel

[quote=“sibatthegrove”,not sure about clutch fluid but i have to bleed it tomorrow can’t normal fluid do ■■ cheers Noel[/quote]
Man’s dont use your standard brake/clutch fluid, I cant recall exactly its terminology, but its a green colour, and synthetic I think.

Any MAN dealer will advise you on it, hope this is of some help

£9 a litre, same as what’s in Citroen car suspension. The dealers will say it’s not the same and not to use the Citroen stuff, but look up the specification… it’s the same :slight_smile:
Same fluid used in the comfort-shift gearstick.

Just a thought, but have you checked all the parts are the right parts (checked the part numbers against the chassis number).
We’ve come across this before where parts fit, but are wrong, if that makes any sense.
In particular a flywheel and multi-plate clutch that the dealer supplied for one of our double drive ERF’s.
It all fit right, and appeared to be right, but clutch failed 3 times in a row, within a month.
Working with the dealer, we finally worked out the packaging had the right part numbers on, but the parts didn’t (wrong bits in the right boxes).

hydraulic oil does the trick aswell & cheaper than the proper man oil.

Whatever you do, do not use normal clutch fluid! It swells the seals badly and will ■■■■ the master cylinder and booster! Use the proper pentosin gear.

LOOK WHAT I FOUND ALAN !!! spoke to man’s on the way home and they said it should tell me on the filler cap what fluid should go in,thanks for comments could’nt get back on the site for a while will try the fluid.

Hi, what sort of MPG are you getting with your MAN?

have a look at the prop shaft. are the weights still intact?

she’s heavy on fuel not quite sure what its doing mpg had other issues on my mind at the moment,and to the other comment about the weights on the props i will be looking tomorrow cheers for that

an MAN heavy on fuel. prety rare, they are usually good.
i’m not doing much at the moment if you need a hand.
i hope you’ve removed the gauze from the pump. :wink:

limeyphil, no i have’nt removed the gauze what would this do,i sent you an email just incase you have’nt seen it yet