Man 26t flatbed 4 over 4 with splitter

Hi Everyone,

I am a recent subscriber and would like to pick the brains of anyone out there who can help. I drive a man 26t rigid flatbed truck with a manual 4 over 4 box with splitter. I know this seems a strange thing to ask having had quite a number of years on the road experience, but I have recently had an instruction from my transport manager to drive my vehicle differently stating that I was destroying the gearbox. He has told me to drive the vehicle with the splitter button pressed down. To my mind, this is not the correct, or most efficient way to drive the vehicle as obviously with the button pressed down and engaged by the clutch I would be driving in the low split or(half gear) ie gear 8, splitter down = 7+1/2. This increases revs and engine torque but also increases fuel consumption and wear. Am I losing my mind, or is my transport manager a winkle? could anyone confirm or deny what I believe to be true and as with all gearboxes of a similar configuration the splitter button pressed up means that you are in the high split, or full gear and thus is the most efficient way to drive these vehicles, unless of course you need to drop half a gear to maintain speeds up a gradient. I think that the reason the gearbox is misbehaving is because man did not route the linkages right when installing the box thus creating a real pig of a gearbox that sometimes leaves you stranded at lights unable to select any gear. I hope I have given enough information without being to ■■■■ or patronising and would greatly appreciate any advise from anyone as things are getting quite tense and awkward at work.

I’d ask for a demo of what’s being asked by whoever is doing the asking.

Here’s the rub!! I had already thought of that, but he only has an in house shunting license. I have offered to take him out in the vehicle but he seems reluctant to be proven wrong. I really don’t see how driving this vehicle permanently in the low split can be a good or efficient. I was just hoping that someone out there would have assured knowledge that I could throw back at him and shut him up, but thanks a lot for your input.

sound to me like youve ■■■■■■ him off at sometime and now hes nit picking, if it carries on chin him and find another job :slight_smile:

Do as he says, its not you’re derv anyway, he won’t be long in turning it all around again when you prove him wrong

Thanks plugster, Your comment made me laugh and that is certainly an option. I like to think that I’m a conscientious driver and it winds me up when someone who has no class 2 driving experience is telling me I’m driving wrong. He has obtained information from somewhere and is convinced that he is right. I have even emailed MAN TRUCK AND BUS to see if they would comment. but I’m not holding my breath on that 1.

Your gaffer is an idiot. That’s all. But if he wants you to drive it everywhere like that, get it in writing and crack on … as someone else said, he’ll soon change his mind when the first diesel bill drops onto the doormat.

ask him why they’d fit a button, that when pressed would damage the truck?

Your gaffer is a knob,keep the revs. in the green sector.

Thanks for all your help and comments everyone.
They’ve cheered me up, if nothing else. Keep’em coming. I hate it when people who think that they know better accuse you of something, then don’t give you the opportunity to defend yourself or prove your case, especially when they have no relevant experience about the topic. Looking at your comments would it be fair to say that the majority are in agreement with me and would also drive a similar vehicle in the full gear(high split) not half gear (low split) ■■

Stevieboy has it spot on. Why have it there if it’s not meant to be used or would cause damage?

How will he know what your doing whilst on the road?

hi mickeyblue,

Apparently the new man trucks have a telematics chip, which stores driving data including every gear change that you have ever made in the lorry. It is very political at work and I have been warned about mentioning my company name on any social media. I think it could be a bit of B/S but do not to leave it to chance as when I first took delivery of the vehicle I told them that the gearbox was wrong and had a nightmare with it. But you know the score, what do I know, I’m only a braindead driver and apparently no nothing.

Thanks very much for all your comments so far,

I am going to approach him today and tell him to put up or shut up! If he won’t tell me where he got his daft information and refuses to come out on the road with me to see, first hand, the consequences of what he is asking, I can do no more. I don’t like saying " I told you so" but it seems that is the only way I can put this argument to bed.

Your transport manage is stupid. That is all.

Dave68:
Hi Everyone,

I am a recent subscriber and would like to pick the brains of anyone out there who can help. I drive a man 26t rigid flatbed truck with a manual 4 over 4 box with splitter. I know this seems a strange thing to ask having had quite a number of years on the road experience, but I have recently had an instruction from my transport manager to drive my vehicle differently stating that I was destroying the gearbox. He has told me to drive the vehicle with the splitter button pressed down. To my mind, this is not the correct, or most efficient way to drive the vehicle as obviously with the button pressed down and engaged by the clutch I would be driving in the low split or(half gear) ie gear 8, splitter down = 7+1/2. This increases revs and engine torque but also increases fuel consumption and wear. Am I losing my mind, or is my transport manager a winkle? could anyone confirm or deny what I believe to be true and as with all gearboxes of a similar configuration the splitter button pressed up means that you are in the high split, or full gear and thus is the most efficient way to drive these vehicles, unless of course you need to drop half a gear to maintain speeds up a gradient. I think that the reason the gearbox is misbehaving is because man did not route the linkages right when installing the box thus creating a real pig of a gearbox that sometimes leaves you stranded at lights unable to select any gear. I hope I have given enough information without being to ■■■■ or patronising and would greatly appreciate any advise from anyone as things are getting quite tense and awkward at work.

when i was at salvesen in n’pton i did have a geezer do an entire trunking shift with the 16 speed gearbox in lo-split, thet certainly destroyed the box , once it had come back in it was off the road for several days ,had a new clutch as well.

I wonder if he’s not explained himself very well and is trying to reduce the amount of gear changes by not using the splitter to often. Surely he can’t mean have it in low split when at top limited cruising speed- 45mph to 70mph depnding on if you work for Asda or are based outside the UK.

Been a while since I drove a gearbox like this but I presume when empty your pulling off (so to speak) in 2nd high split or even 3rd low split then not using the splitter till high range perhaps 7 & 8.

When loaded 2nd low then using splitter when needed based on road conditions.

I’m not a fan of trying to change ones driving style because some office bod had heard something and took it as gospel but would try if only to prove them wrong, although rock and a hard place spring to mind… yep just chin him and get another job :wink:

Well DD. If he hasn’t explained himself very well, it’s up to him to listen to what an experienced driver has to say. I’ve actually come across this sort of thing myself (not about gearboxes) and just did exactly what I was told, then had a smug look on me boatrace when it all went ■■■■ up :laughing:

What sounds like a good idea to me is first low, second low, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Then ask how the fuel bills going.

On a flat road pull away I suppose I would probably be using about 9/10 gears out of 16 even in a max weight artic.The automated 'boxes have about 12 gears, but they don’t generally use more than about 8 in economy mode.

keep it in the most appropiate gear for your speed
and circumstances
eg the green or
as bikers would say keep it in the power band