Making the M4 'Smart'

So now the M4 has been clear of roadworks between the Severn and London for a couple of weeks, the signs have appeared to tell us that they are starting to increase its’ intelligence between J4 and J12 and should be completed by 2022. Is it just me!!!.. :unamused: I was looking at retiring in 2 years, now it’s a definite.

Yeah I saw a leaflet about this a couple of months ago. Apparently it’ll be the longest upgrade (over 30 miles) to date, and will be done in sections. It won’t be 30 miles of roadworks all in one go lol. Some of it is due to be completed earlier than 2022.

Its all well and good making these motorways smart, all we need to do now is educate the retards that use them.

Im including both professional drivers and car drivers in that.

The M1 smart sections that are finished have been so for ages yet most of the drivers seem to think it doesnt exist

Clearly not been on the M6 recently? j1 ALL, thats right all the ■■■■■■■ way to j19 cones, road works, and more cones.

A big question would be when you know lane 1/hard shoulder is going to have a sign above it in 2 miles saying hard shoulder for junction only, should you still move over into it knowing that In a mile your going to need to move back over, hoping someone will let you out, causing them to slow down, causing congestion. But if you don’t move over to th hard shoulder/lane 1 are you risking being done for lane hogging?

On the “how to” use them that needs clearing up for both car drivers and professional drivers.

DickyNick:
A big question would be when you know lane 1/hard shoulder is going to have a sign above it in 2 miles saying hard shoulder for junction only, should you still move over into it knowing that In a mile your going to need to move back over, hoping someone will let you out, causing them to slow down, causing congestion. But if you don’t move over to th hard shoulder/lane 1 are you risking being done for lane hogging?

On the “how to” use them that needs clearing up for both car drivers and professional drivers.

Im sure all decisions are made with a bit of common sense.

However sat in lane 3 with 1,2 and 4 empty for miles and miles is a different matter

Concretejim:
Its all well and good making these motorways smart, all we need to do now is educate the retards that use them.

Im including both professional drivers and car drivers in that.

The M1 smart sections that are finished have been so for ages yet most of the drivers seem to think it doesnt exist

Particularly “professional” drivers,see it all the time M6 Northbound around jct 11…HGVs sitting for miles and miles in lane one when signs above clearly stating to use the hard shoulder,morons.

^^^^^^ SHHHH. Let’s keep it between us eh? I enjoy having my own personal lane for mile after mile!

Twice a week I have to do a 2nd load to Slough depot after my welsh jaunt and already I’ve been caught out by the closures between 10-9/8… both ways…then it’ll be 8/9-7, then 7-6 blah blah…and they say working nights must be so easy because there’s hardly anything about…mention the road closures etc and suddenly they change their opinions!!