Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

LB76:

First of all,it’s very nice to see a photograph again of one of the Rank Hovis McDougall - RHM XAN Foden
S21 Spaceship FG6LX/24 Flat Lorries,XAN 284,this time taking part in the Lorry Driver Of The Year
Competition.
XAN 284 is one number down from Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik,XAN 285,which was ex-Rank Hovis McDougall - RHM and operated by my showman friend,Sheldon Dowse - please see my post of Tuesday,4th September,2012,on page 4 on this thread - Sheldon’s brother,Terence,operated XAN 291.
Has anybody got any photographs of these Foden S21 Spaceships,XAN 285 and XAN 291,when they were in
service with Rank Hovis McDougall? Please.

The above Atkinson is:-
Atkinson M1266 or M1266A,Flat-bodied,6x4 Lorry,KXV 349,London registered in 1949-1950.
Spillers The Millers.

VALKYRIE.

LB76:

Bill,is that a super single tyre on the front axle?

It certainly looks like it Graham, never noticed until you said! Talk about advanced thinking ! They must have been one of the first with those!

Some of the spiller mills :sunglasses:

1052128_5215924f.jpg

401273_e1ba86cd.jpg

The prototype Simon-Duramin system bulk flour carrier on trial at Henry Simon’s experimental mill at Stockport in the early 1950s, watched by senior transport managers from Ranks, CWS, Spillers and some of the larger independent millers.

mg][/img]

And here’s the same vehicle in service with the Scottish CWS on Princes Street Edinburgh, just weeks before the overhead tram gantries were removed.

Foden S21 Spaceship FG6LX/24 XAN 291.

Re-printed below is an excerpt from my post on page 4 of this thread:-
Re: Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling
by VALKYRIE » Tue Sep 04, 2.57 am.

Ah yes! I was hoping Gingerfold,or somebody,would post a photograph of at least one of the XAN-registered Foden S21 Spaceship FG6LX/24 Lorries of Rank Hovis McDougall - RHM. Some of the XAN Foden S21 Spaceships did further commercial service as Fairground Vehicles,including :-
XAN 285,operated by Sheldon Dowse,Doncaster:-
flickr.com/photos/foden_djp/ … otostream/
Note it’s original RHM Flat body below the Luton Van body.

XAN 291,operated by the late Terence Dowse,Doncaster:-
flickr.com/photos/foden_djp/ … otostream/

Terence was in the process of restoring his Foden S21 Spaceship in recent years,but very sadly,he passed on,on Wednesday,31st August,2011,a year since now at present. But I hope to find out what is happening to this Foden S21 Spaceship,XAN 291.

On page 20 of the Foden Thoughts Thread the following post mentioned that somebody is restoring an
ex-Rank Hovis McDougill-RHM Foden FG lorry:-
"Re: Foden Thoughts
by 3300John » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Hiya…i know they are. der der t der der. yes when the chap dose a restoration its done properly.
this chap did a mk2 zodiac up a few years ago. i thought it was new and never been used.WOW.

i think he,s doing a hovis 8 legger FG at the moment, the ones with the deep chock rail.

theres also a marston valley brick lorry in the queue. the chaps uncle drove it from new,
theres about 10 other fodens to be restored. i don,t know if they,re micky mouse, roland rat, or
diana doors. OH it could be jane mansfield…
i posted some of the foden photo,s about 2 years ago of the same lorries

John3300. John."

I wonder if the above Foden FG is Terence Dowse’s Foden S21 Spaceship FG6LX/24,XAN 291…

I found out on Saturday night that Terence sold the Foden to somebody,for continued restoration
and preservation two years since.Although Sheldon doesn’t know who to.

I’ll probably also post this on the Foden Thoughts Thread.too.Somebody might know :smiley: .

VALKYRIE.

Spillers/RHM :sunglasses:

JSc00937-03.jpg

JSc00558-08.jpg

21_26_30---Rank-Hovis-Truck_web.jpg

:sunglasses:

3052409_b1eb599e.jpg

The AEC Marshal was the mainstay of RHM Agriculture for many years in the 1960’s through to the early 1980s, with the dual purpose “fold flat” body being common. These could be used either as a tipper or a flat, with the sides folded in. The last AEC Marshal built in mid-1977 is recorded as being operated by Simmons-Watts at Banbury, a RHM Agriculture division.

New Leyland Buffalo about to enter service with Spillers in the Spillers-French era (which didn’t last very long), at the time of the merger of the two companies. Buffalos formed the backbone of Spillers’ fleet in the 1970s despite all the problems with the ‘headless wonder’ engine. At that time Spillers was operating about 15 flour mills.

Foden continued to be a popular marque in Rank Hovis’ fleet into the 1970s.

Flour Milling 113.jpg

I can recognise that silo in this photo Graham, where was the picture taken ? any idea?

Bill, the only Jolly Baker I knew of was at Norwich, and I went there in about 1981 (which is not much later than the era of the Foden) when I worked for Spillers. Can’t remember all that writing on the silo when I went though.

When i was on Franke we used to take those silo’s all over the place they are made down near Frankfurt, we took them to Scotland (Tunnocks) Gt.Yarmouth, all over the place. They are very recognisable by the constuction.

Hiya…the foden 8 legger rank/hovis been restored nr Reading come out of rush green the owner told me, he,s had
1 or 2 lorries from there to restore. i,ll give him a call and ask what info he has on her.
John

LB76:
I can recognise that silo in this photo Graham, where was the picture taken ? any idea?

CJA1" Is it not the one at Doncaster, used to take triplex there from selby mill ? CJA1,

I can’t recall going to Doncaster with any but Greggs at newcastle was one and another at aylesbury the Gt Yarmouth one was pasta foods its all coming back to me now!

LB76:
I can’t recall going to Doncaster with any but Greggs at newcastle was one and another at aylesbury the Gt Yarmouth one was pasta foods its all coming back to me now!

CJA1, Hi LB76, yeh did the pasta place at Gt Yarmouth, used to take flour mainly from Hull mill, sometimes Selby, and if it was urgent they would sometimes mill it at M/C mill, Great thread this one mate, Gingerfold certainly got it going, Cheers CJA1,